Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

Retired Numbers

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: Retired Numbers
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bfriend on Saturday, August 20, 2005 - 01:50 pm:

It's buggged me ever since Catfish's number was retired; annoyed me when Fingers and Reggies number's were retired but now I'm just disgusted with the recent Eck number retirement: I don't object to the honoring and retirement of great A's players --It's the stupid, inacurate cartoony jerseys they put on the wall. I hate them!. At least the yellow jerseys look "somewhat" like the originals and represent the A's era of colorful uniforms but Eckersley is the WORST! First of all it's the same exact jersey style they wear today but the one on the wall has green and gold stripes on the sleeves. The thing that galls me the most is the number style they used (on all the jerseys for that matter): it's rounded instead of the the block numbers they have used FOREVER!!! I don't even think the Philadelhia or Kansas City A's ever looked that way.

Maybe as a graphic designer myself, I notice annoying things like that. However, if I was the graphic designer hired to design these jerseys for the wall and I wasn't an A's fan or knew anything about baseball, I would at least research what the player ACTUALLY wore during that era and try to replicate it as best I could from as many sources as I could find. It's not hard to find sources for the Eck jersey -- just take a photo of any of the current players for cripes sake!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Saturday, August 20, 2005 - 02:32 pm:

Yeah, when I saw the jersey for Eck, it didn't look anything close to the ones he wore with the A's.

You'd think that the first "white home jersey" the would retire would be the ones from the ones during the 88-90 run Eck was on.

Hopefully when they get a new park, they'll find a better way of retiring #s because I doubt they'll put a jersey on the wall. Hopefully it won't be as dumb as what SF does which is put the # inside a while circle and place it near the LF 2nd deck where it's almost like afterthought.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Saturday, August 20, 2005 - 04:03 pm:

I thought the same thing about the green and gold stripes on the sleeve of the Eck jersey. He never wore a jersey like that! Why would the A's accept that design? Makes no sense at all. I wonder if this is Alioto's domain. Someone in management should hear about it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Saturday, August 20, 2005 - 05:16 pm:

They looked like ones the A's would've wore during the spring training, doesn't look at all professional.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.