Help
Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

poor attendance being called out?

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: poor attendance being called out?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sactodavey on Wednesday, September 21, 2005 - 03:59 pm:

The A's do not deserve the attendance by letting 2 mvp go and i don't give a shit about the winning record ,baseball is about fan and player bonding period!! we follow the players on our team not just the team this new age beane style of baseballl is fff up and they will not ever draw if they feel they can continue to let mvp or trade young pitchers away and think we will keep comming period.

we already know that danny haren and dan johnson nick swisher are gone in 5 yrs so why get attachted to the mother ffers lets just view this team from a distance.

a new stadium will only pacify for 4-5 yrs then the twins will draw 15k again back to normal , this is where the gnats will be in 2 yrs.

you got to put out cash and let the fans know your great players are staying.

yes we got a few good players from the Mulder trade but Mulder and Huddy both had very good yrs this yr so we lose 2 great pitchers and wind up with only 1 good pitcher and one minor league phenom , bullshit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

we have got the richest ownership in baseballl now lets see what this guy does.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By okplayer on Wednesday, September 21, 2005 - 04:53 pm:

the beauty about wolf, is that clearly he's a baseball fan. i think he knows the key to making $ is to spend it. here's to him getting the job done.

also, we're die-hards and will always be there. however, the key is appealing to the casual fan. you do that by having a sweet park as well as having STAR players. period.

re knbr, Tolbert's actually giving the a's props and said they'd be up 2-3 games if it weren't for injuries.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By asch on Wednesday, September 21, 2005 - 05:40 pm:

I think we all know this team would be way ahead of itself if it were not for injuries. Somehow, that is not being reported nationally:
1. durazo
2. dotel
3. crosby
4. harden
etc etc

all missed time. That's:
1. our best hitter last year
2. our closer
3. our starting ss with rh power
4. our best starter (when healthy)

Definitely hurt us.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevink on Wednesday, September 21, 2005 - 05:49 pm:

I guess I was WAY off on my attendance prediction. Why were there only 14k at the game today? I don't want to sound like just another fan basher, I'm just curious, I thought the wednesdays always drew at least well into the 20's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By okplayer on Wednesday, September 21, 2005 - 06:33 pm:

asch, you have to also include kotsay who missed time. Durazo would be a vast improvement over hatte. Dotel would have made great trade bait. heard on the radio the a's have gone 2-10 in starts that would have been occupied by Harden.

It's been a solid year, it's just hard to see them see it (potentially) slip away.

Go Rangers!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Wednesday, September 21, 2005 - 08:08 pm:

Sacto, only a few teams could've kept the amount of talent the A's have had since the 2000 season. I'd say maybe the Yanks/BoSox/Braves could've kept Ja.Giambi, Tejada, Mulder, Hudson, Damon, Izzy, and others around.

Look at Seattle, they only kept Edgar Martinez from their great offensive teams from the late 90s to early 2000s. Yes, they got lucky and signed Ichiro but all teams have to face losing their great talent if they don't have the money to sign them because another team will offer that player more money. Look at Cleveland. They let go of Thome, Manny, Alomar, Visquel, and others and they rebuilt. The difference them and the A's is we didn't have to suffer through losing seasons as we "reloaded" after trading Hudson and Mulder in the offseason. The A's will most likely win 90 games in what many considered to be an "rebuilding year" in 2005 and the A's could possibly still make the playoffs this year too.

The A's have struggled with attendance even when they had all their stars. In 2001, I went to many games the last few months when the A's had one of the hottest second halves in MLB history and you'd only get maybe 12k-14k on a Tuesday night game against the Angels. It's not the fact that the A's are losing huge star after huge star for the low attendance, it's the outdated park they play in. I bet if you gave the A's a new park built somewhere in Oakland from 2001-current, they'd be drawing 30k+ easy!

Unless Wolff/Fischer opens up their wallets like Moreno did for LAA, then the A's will always be in the mode of losing great player after great player and they're payroll will continue to be in the middle of the pack until they either open up their wallets or build a new park and they could eventually have their payroll be in the top 10 possibly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Wednesday, September 21, 2005 - 09:42 pm:

As far as I'm concerned, Mr. Kendall can go hitless and allow everybody steal on him till the end of the year:

"All I know is our fans are nuts, they're crazy," said catcher Jason Kendall, who is in his first season in Oakland. "It's fun to play in front of them. They're kind of like us, they're out there. We relate to them well. They might not be the biggest crowds, but you can't fill up a football stadium. They're loud, and that's how it should be. I think this is a great sports town." -- SF Chronicle

Here's to you Jason Kendall---hip hip hurray!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Wednesday, September 21, 2005 - 10:06 pm:

How about this to boost attendance??

Beane leaves door open for a one-day Rickey return

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2005/09/22/ASREPORT.TMP&type=as

In the past, general manager Billy Beane has downplayed the possibility of giving Rickey Henderson a one-day deal so the future Hall of Famer can retire with the team he broke in with in 1979. A contending team's roster space is too precious, the argument usually went, or the distraction would be too much.

On Wednesday, a day in which Henderson was in attendance at the Coliseum, Beane said for the first time that he would consider a one-day-only contract with Henderson if the team's position allows for it (i.e., if the club has clinched a playoff spot or has been eliminated).

"Certainly I'd consider that,'' Beane told The Chronicle. "Rickey up to this point has never given anyone any indication that he's ready to retire, but if he was, depending on the circumstances, that could be possible.

"That's speaking as a GM and a former teammate, and someone who thinks Rickey is the greatest leadoff hitter of all time and probably the greatest Oakland A's player of all time. Obviously, I still have people I have to answer to.''

Henderson's agent, Jeff Borris, said that while he has spoken to Beane on this topic in the past, it has not been revisited lately.

"If Billy is willing to offer it and Rickey is ready to retire, I'd be happy to negotiate a one-day contract,'' Borris said. "But I don't know what Rickey's sentiments are on the topic. The last time I talked to Rickey, he said he'd like to be the leadoff hitter and starting outfielder for some team in the major leagues. I don't know if he's had a change of heart.''

Henderson, baseball's all-time stolen-base leader, has said on numerous occasions that he would like to retire as a member of the A's, most recently in an issue of the New Yorker this month. In that story, however, Henderson still voiced a desire to play full-time. Henderson, 46, hit .270 with a .456 on-base percentage for the San Diego Surf Dawgs of the independent Golden Baseball League this summer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 07:41 am:

Funny thing is that I read that New Yorker article and must have missed that part about Rickey saying he wanted to play fulltime.

In fact, for the first time, it sounded like Rickey had finally come to terms that his career is over and said how said it is to finish in another team's uniform and not with the green and gold.

But yes, he was spotted at the Diamond Seats area yesterday, a friend told me yesterday by email.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevink on Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 08:56 am:

Eyleenn this is GREAT news.
I think Rickey IS coming to grips with the fact that his mlb career is over. It's sad to me because I think he could have contributed to several teams in 04 AND 05, but he will be 47 next season and his bat speed is completely dimished, even though he can still get on base and steal bases.

However, I think it's time that Rickey take Beane up on his offer. If there is a Rickey Henderson Retirement day in Oakland next year I will certainly fly up from San Diego for it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 09:02 am:

I'd come from anywhere I'd be to see Rickey treated like he deserves...
but I'm not holding my breath...I don't believe the A's will give him his due, and to see him treated as a second class ballplayer, I'd rather not watch it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By alcasfan on Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 10:30 am:

is chavez wrong about the a's attendance? the a's are in a pennant race and 15,000 show up. that is a joke and chavez is right to state that on the biggest sports radio station in the bay area.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By chris_d on Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 11:06 am:

All due respect, I think Chavez is totally wrong. Because context is everything. Any empty seats on weeknights, especially in non-summer months, are offset by the strong weekend numbers. Where was Chavez's mouth when we drew 40,000 last month vs. the Angels on a Monday night?

The key stat is the A's end of year total, which, as has been pointed out, will outdraw 10 or 11 other teams, including the red-hot playoff Cleveland Indians, who also have a new-ish retro HOK ballpark. Should the Indians move to Vegas, by that criteria?

The Giants, by comparison, drew 9,000 to some September games during their NL West winning 1997 season/pennant race (and that's after ground was already broken for SBC Park). Shouldn't the Giants have moved to another city based on those numbers? Did those numbers indict S.F. as a market or the Giant fan base, in general? Of course not.

The bottom line is that the A's are going to draw more than 2 million for the 5th year in a row. They're going to hit 2.2 million for the 3rd year in a row. People focus on those nights when there are 15,000, then when we draw 30-35K on the weekends, no one reports it or talks about it. Why is that?

Just like the Giants, the attendance will markedly improve when ownership makes a firm commitment to staying in Oakland, whether that's at the Coliseum, a new Oakland ballpark or at Curt Flood Little League Field off the 880.

I marvel at Chavez's glove. I'm less impressed with his analytical skills or his sense of Bay Area sports business. He can earn the right ot run his mouth about local fans when he starts hitting .280.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By alcasfan on Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 11:17 am:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/c/chaveer01.shtml

wow, three hundreths of a point and he can run his mouth about local fans.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 11:31 am:

Chavez is dead wrong to complain about attendance.

Fans are the paying his boss' paying customers and are under no obligation whatsoever to go to the ballpark.

Chavez gets paid by the A's to perform and entertain the A's customers, not criticize or bash them.

If the attendance is lower, the burden is on the ownership to improve whatever they need to improve to bring fans to the ballpark the way they did in the late 80s and early 90s.

Oakland already proved they can support a winning team during all the years they had a fan and service oriented ownership. AND the A's lead the attendance in the Bay Area 10 out of 17 years before the Giants got their Balco Park.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By leftfield139 on Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 11:34 am:

troll alert

Sorry lil this joker must be Noami in drag,

That's the last time I will comment. I will be a good boy and ignore everything else alcasfan says.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By washfan on Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 11:38 am:

Oaktownfan has some good points but let's point out the crack talk in Sacto's last rant.

Since Wolff has taken over as Managing Gen Partner Beane has signed Chavy, Crosby and Harden to lenghty contracts and to a lesser extent Kotsay. They will probably pick up Payton's option. I can see Beane quite possibly aquiring a guy like Sweeny in the off-season to become our DH. I also forsee Beane locking up Swish, DJ, Haren, Blanton and of course Street to long term contracts when the time comes. Do you know why crackheads??? Because Wolff is very visible at the Coli and wants to bring a WS victory to Oakland. Also Wolff realizes you got to spend $$$ to make $$$. Winning fuels his ego and lines his pockets which might help induce a stadium deal.

Now Beane is not Jesus Christ but if you really examine what he is doing he is building a new young nucleus determined to get too the next two levels. Remember people this was susposed to be an off year...and we are giving Analslime a real run for their $$$ Hopefully Beane can step back from his ego and hire a real Field Manager this off-season.

All right rant over back to work!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By okplayer on Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 11:44 am:

yeah, lf I thought it was just me...troller!!!!!

look, if anyone knows anything about BUSINESS you know that when demand for your product is low, you don't BLAME THE FRIGGEN CUSTOMER. It's up to good strategic managment/marketing efforts to find ways to address your specific market. keep in mind that the cost of living in the bay is considerably higher than anywhere else (except NY). That makes going to the ball yard more cost-prohibitive. Moreover, the unemployment rate in the Bay has got to be worse than other areas (correct me if I'm wrong). Fact is, A's ownership (pre-Wolf) has done an awful job when it comes to showing fan appreciation. What do you expect?!?!?

Chavvy's mouth is about as useless as his stick in the playoffs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By okplayer on Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 11:46 am:

re washfan's post, the a's are on the verge of giving haren a 4-yr $13-15 mil contract. Go Wolf! Go A's!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By leftfield139 on Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 12:06 pm:

okpayer and washfan

you guys are right on target.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sactodavey on Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 12:26 pm:

washfan is making comments that are a hypothosis rather then facts, wolff has not brought sweeny in and thier is no evidence of him wanting to sign a big time FA, again everyone gets excited about signing harden to 4 yr contract when he is obligated to this club anyway so BIG DEAL pure propoganda bullshit, hey Mulder signed one of those and they traded him away 2 yrs before it was up!!!! 1 yr with Hudson.

speaking of Hudson he is shuting out the phillies today 8 innn no runs ERA 3.30 now what did we get for that guy what did the grand master beane get for Hudson?????? pile of fucking shit!!!!!!!!!!!!!! like BEANE HIMSELF

now what did we get for brynse that everyone was ranting about? Kennedy 6.00 ERA whatasik who cannot be used anymore without 2 runs for 2 inn, Beane is a fraud and he is just lucky he had great scouts who did some great scouting and drafting.

Giving away Hudson for nothing negates the st. louis trade period. we got nothing in reality for 2 all star pitchers, and don't give me the shit about having to trade them crap, why would Wolff all of a sudden as washfan says want to go out and spend big $$$ on FA when he could have just signed our all star pitchers who would have kept up competitive for another 5 yrs?

Harden could be injury prone and out of baseball in 3 yrs so we gamble and lost, again Beane is a sleep walker who has made tremendous and many lousy moves in trades more bad then good just anyalyze the last 5 (more negative then positive)Kedall being one of them and the 2 contracts the others.

its funny many here said "waite till season is over to fig trades out", well Mulder and Huddy are comming on very strong and becomiing foundations of thier pitching staffs , no matter what we got from st. louis we lost much more.

just becuase wolff is visible at the park does not mean spending $$$$ washfan is talking out of his butt , yes he did sign kotsay but it might mean someone else has to go in off season.

OUT

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By okplayer on Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 12:28 pm:

I love it. sactod in full effect.

sacto, the mulder trade has worked out fine. you can't hate on that deal bro.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 12:31 pm:

unreadable.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By alcasfan on Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 01:25 pm:

what?? leftfield what are you talking about?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevink on Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 02:00 pm:

Uh, sacto we got Jay Payton for byrnes...do we have to go through this again? Here are the numbers:

Byrnes: AVG .229 | HR 10 | RBI 39
Payton: AVG .271 | HR 18 | RBI 62

It's not even close sacto.
This was a masterful trade by beane and for you to say otherwise tells me you need to take a break from posting for a while!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ronc on Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 02:02 pm:

Sacto is in form. He's a counterpoint to those who have a statue of Billy at the foot of the bed :)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By okplayer on Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 02:03 pm:

kevink, technically a's got payton for bradford; they got kennedy and Watasic for Byrnes and Quintinillia (a prospect). Nevertheless, BB's solid. Sacto's just bitter b/c he's a hardcore fan and is freaking out that the A's won't make the Playoffs.

SactoD's comedy. Keep posting!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 03:51 pm:

Yeah, imagine what anti Beane A's fans would think if we had DePodesta as the GM for this team giving bad contracts to the likes of a JD Drew.

Grady Fuson, JP Ricchardi, Paul D; how many thought Beane would be exposed with these three leaving and what's happened since, Beane's A's teams have had winning season every year and only DePodesta's team has made the playoffs but look what he did this past offseason and don't tell me he's a better GM than Beane is.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevink on Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 04:33 pm:

"He's a counterpoint to those who have a statue of Billy at the foot of the bed"

ronc, not yet but as soon as I get the BB statue it will go right next to my RICKEY bobblehead! :)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevink on Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 04:34 pm:

okp, you're right technically it wasn't byrnes for payton straight up but in essense that's the player they got to replace byrnes, and the other guys haven't done as badly as sacto is saying.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 04:45 pm:

Kennedy has actually pitched very well in 4 of his 6 starts and I think that's all you can ask for in an emergency/spot starter that he became the past month basically.

8/27 against Balt:5 IP, 4 hits, 1 ER, 1 BB, 5 Ks.
9/1 against LAA:6 IP, 7 hits, 2 ERs, 2 BBs, 2 Ks.
9/6 against Mariners:6.1 IP, 6 hits, 2 ERs, 0 BBs, 6 Ks.
9/11 against Rangers:5.1 IP, 8 hits, 6 ERs, 2 BBs, 6 Ks.
9/16 against BoSox:6 IP, 2 hits, 1 ER, 3 BBs, 5 Ks.
9/21 against Twins:3.1 IP, 5 hits, 6 ERs, 1 BB, 3 Ks.

Though it's a damn shame that he has a 1-4 record in 6 starts and the A's record is now 1-5 in those 6 games.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By okplayer on Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 04:47 pm:

yeah, kevink I was being nitpicky.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jerryo1 on Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 04:49 pm:

"He's a counterpoint to those who have a statue of Billy at the foot of the bed"

I always thought that sactodavey was a counterpoint to those who have a clue!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ronc on Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 05:07 pm:

Saucer of milk for table 2 :)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rtd on Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 05:40 pm:

Hey Sacto,

Don't let the bastards get you down. You at least don't spend all your time scouring the internet for press releases to copy and paste. Perhaps Sacto you should post in bold. Then you would be practicing an action concurrently with another member of this site who believes they have a clue.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dorrit on Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 06:41 pm:

By the way, the Phillies beat the Braves today-with Hudson pitching!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By okplayer on Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 11:22 pm:

sacto d's solid and even when he's off-base he's hella funny.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By washfan on Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 11:59 pm:

Sacto,

Your hatred for Beane has clouded your ability to deductively reason. Heck, even an old blind man on crack could see the young nucleus that Beane has put together. Did I say Beane was GOD? Noooo! And Beane has been known to bring in pricey old vets to provide leadership to our young lions (Justice, Karos, McLemore, Kendall) some work out some don't. I am not saying he will land Sweeny in the off-season but I would not be surprised. Is next season the final year of that big contract Sweeny signed?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevink on Friday, September 23, 2005 - 08:40 am:

The contract Sweeney signed has cripled the Royals organization for years. They paid him all that money and then surrounded him with scrubs. Now he's 34 and well past his best years. Unless we get him for cheap, which won't happen, I'm not crazy about the idea of signing Sweeney. Plus we have Dan Johnson who I am more excited about.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By washfan on Friday, September 23, 2005 - 10:03 am:

DJ, is our 1st bagger Sweeny would be our DH pending Billy does not think Hatte has another year in him. I think he would be fine for one year...I am not anxious to see Barton rushed up I think a full year at SAC would be better.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By okplayer on Friday, September 23, 2005 - 02:35 pm:

what's up w/Thome? He's making crazy $ but the phils have a logjam at first with Ryan Howard who, mark my words, will hit close to 40hrs next year. the guys an HR machine. power to all fields. most impressive young slugger I've EVER seen. More impressive than Teixerra as a rookie.

The phils would have to eat a ton of $ but they need pitching help.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.