Help
Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

Two front page columns in Times criticizes attendance-great

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: Two front page columns in Times criticizes attendance-great

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Saturday, September 24, 2005 - 01:39 am:

chrisd, you sure about that.

Cause I know on Sunday, the place was packed all the way and up into Mt. Davis and if there's people up there, it's close to 52k-55k easy. I also remember that day because they used Mt.Davis as some promotional event with Survivor and had A's fans who were contestants running up the stairs so I don't know if those figures are true.

Saturday's game was pretty much sold out too.

Friday's game I can remember didn't even have 20k+ there at least.

I think others there could back me up on this unless cause I do remember those games.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Saturday, September 24, 2005 - 08:05 am:

Chavez a team leader? Now THAT's the big joke.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevink on Saturday, September 24, 2005 - 08:57 am:

"gag job"?
maybe you could say that about tejada in the 03 playoffs, overrunning 3rd and just standing there frozen, or byrnes "forgetting" to tag home plate, or jeremy g not sliding in 02, or TLong missing a routine fly ball in 01. But this year's team was not even on the radar for contending, and was counted out by nearly everyone by May 1st. It's amazing they are even going to win around 90 games.

This does not constitute a "gag" or a choke. The Angels have had 1st place to themselves most of the year and it was there's to lose, not the A's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Saturday, September 24, 2005 - 09:09 am:

I don't believe it was a gag job either.

But after the A's showed they could keep pace and content, the lack of action from Beane in not giving the team a power bat at DH was the
team's downfall.

The young pitching staff performed so well that they deserved some effort from management to offer them some offense in the form of at least a decent DH.

On the other hand Beane did a great job in bettering the pen, especially after the fiasco of Rhodes and Dotel.

The A's performed well above any espectations so I disagree with the "choke" label.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Saturday, September 24, 2005 - 09:58 am:

I can't help but think, based on Beane's comments after the Huddy/Mulder trades, that he was prepared to write this year off and even when the team showed it could contend, the decision was made not to spend any big bucks THIS year. Hopefully Wolff will open his wallet for next season.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By chris_d on Saturday, September 24, 2005 - 10:10 am:

Oaktownfan, it's not my opinion. The numbers are on record. That's why I posted the links to the box scores of those individual games, which have the attendance figures for each game.

It was 30K, 35K and 45K, according to those box scores online, which is very good attendance. Not perfect, but very good. Whether it was 45K or 55K on that last Sunday, the bottom line is that either figure is an official sell-out. And the Friday and Saturday figures are a lot better than what was described in earlier posts.

The ultimate point here is this: So often, people criticize the A's attendance, but when we look at the cold, hard numbers, the A's attendance is often a lot better than the perception that has been created. The perception, or in this case, the misperception takes on a type of reality -- even though it is a mostly false viewpoint and the numbers don't back it up.

And that really bothers me. It especially bothers me that the A's may get moved out of town on the basis of that very thing: distorted analysis based on a big misperception that isn't really backed up with facts or set against an honest and clear context.

We're going to draw 2.1 million fans for a team that traded away its two biggest superstars in the offseason (again!) and was 17-32 at one-third of the way thru the season. Still, we're going to outdraw 10 other teams, some of which have new ballparks. We're going to outdraw Cleveland, who has an HOK retro ballpark AND a playoff team. So, what's the problem?

And if MLB wants to "solve" any attendance problems, they have to go thru 10 other markets before they come to Oakland.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ronc on Saturday, September 24, 2005 - 12:52 pm:

If they're rebuilding then the attendance is good. They can't have it both ways.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Saturday, September 24, 2005 - 01:27 pm:

It is this misperception, or misrepresentation of Oakland's inability to support a contending baseball team which is used over and over again to fuel the argument in favor of a relocation to a better baseball market.

And this is a repeating theme which always preceeds the relocation issue and for that reason you can find these articles and comments coming from folks who have an agenda or are being used for ulterior motives.

Remember that Wolff has given Oakland a timetable to make his baseball plan a realiy. I believe he said that by April something had to be on the table or he would look elsewhere.

Of course...if anyone defends Oakland's attendance and history of support of the team, they are labeled as conspiracy theorists or paranoid.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By okplayer on Saturday, September 24, 2005 - 01:48 pm:

please lil i'm depressed enough right now as it is. now i have to think about the a's moving. :(

since we're on the topic, how much does oakland have to pony up for this park deal to take off?

Personally, I think oakland should model he coli area similiar to what they've done in Emeryville.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Saturday, September 24, 2005 - 02:55 pm:

okplayer, that question of how much or where and what is being done is what worries me the most.

We do know he has this grandiose plan and he has given a deadline of April, but according to one front office person, they don't want to talk about it during the season because they feel opposing forces would make things difficult for the ongoing negotiations, so they are purposedly working behind de scenes.

All we can do is keep our fingers crossed things will get done right and Oakland fans won't be shafted in some way or another.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rtd on Saturday, September 24, 2005 - 03:15 pm:

I hate Eric Chavez.

There I said it. Blank that guy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By okplayer on Saturday, September 24, 2005 - 03:30 pm:

yeah rtd, his ab was very weak and it's not like he drove that sac fly. mench had a long way to run and doesn't seem to have a great arm which made it easy for ellis to score. guy never has a meaninful hit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By alcasfan on Saturday, September 24, 2005 - 09:55 pm:

"and Macha can't wait to get to Pissberg. That should tell you all you need to know."

if macha does go to pissssburg, who is the candidate to take the job?

i say lou pinella!!

just kidding, i hope it is wash.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Saturday, September 24, 2005 - 09:58 pm:

Bob Geren

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By alcasfan on Saturday, September 24, 2005 - 09:59 pm:

why geren?

he is the bullpen coach right?

has he been with the club longer than wash?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Saturday, September 24, 2005 - 09:59 pm:

although I would love it if it was Wash, it won't happen.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By alcasfan on Saturday, September 24, 2005 - 10:01 pm:

that does stink---

hasn't wash been with the club longer than this guy?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Saturday, September 24, 2005 - 10:03 pm:

Geren managed the Sac team for at least 2 years.
He was Billy's best man and is very close to him.

But it is just a guess. I would love it if it was Wash and I'm afraid he will probably be gone next year because he does want to manage.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By asch on Sunday, September 25, 2005 - 05:40 am:

It's geren and we should all know this already. He's friend's with BB.

Wash would be freaking PERFECT for Tampa Bay's job. They have a BUNCH of talented youg guys down there....that would be a great place for himn to get started.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rocket on Sunday, September 25, 2005 - 08:28 am:

I would like Wash to get the Pirates job.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By asch on Sunday, September 25, 2005 - 08:36 am:

I don't want to see wash go, but he deserves a manager's job and I hope he gets one. Between the pitt and tb job, I am thinking TB actually has more talent, so that may be the better job.

Also, if wash get the pitt job, then macha doesnt and he may be back.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jenmed on Sunday, September 25, 2005 - 09:52 am:

Tampa would be great for Wash also because it would be closer to home.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Sunday, September 25, 2005 - 11:18 am:

Buan mentioned the TB job to Wash on his "Weekend Wash" segment last night. Wash danced around it, of course. He said quite emphatically that unless Beane kicks him out, he wants to stay. However, he also didn't hide the fact that he wants to manage, so I guess he was trying to cover all his bases.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By okplayer on Sunday, September 25, 2005 - 11:21 am:

rocket, you don't wash to get the pitt job b/c that means macha stays per Asch's post.

tampa would be great because they're aggressive on the basepaths.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rocket on Sunday, September 25, 2005 - 07:03 pm:

I have disliked the fact that Machca has acted
as if he is a sure thing to manage the Pirates
in 06. Thus my sentiments about Wash going
to the Pirates

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.