Help
Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

Screwed Up Schedule. Buddy Boy's Evil Conspiracy

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: Screwed Up Schedule. Buddy Boy's Evil Conspiracy
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By drummer510 on Sunday, September 25, 2005 - 04:21 pm:

Does anyone else feel that the A's got screwed with their schedule.

1. We open and close our seasons away from home, which not only hurts attendence, but also ending a season at home especially in a playoff hunt is great.

2. The A's had to play seven more games than the Angels, against the AL east. In turn the Angels got to play 7 more games than the A's in the AL Central.

3. Plus we don't end our season against the Angels, which says that the people putting the schedule together didn't want the A's to be in contention, they wanted the Rangers to be in contention wit the Angels.

Its a fuckin conspiracy by Buddy Boy to screw over the A's once and for all... ... Okay it's prolly not a consiracy but it just another scape goat for my frustration.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Sunday, September 25, 2005 - 09:16 pm:

I just read that the A's open next season at home AGAINST THE YANKEES. A's management is not happy, since it would be better financially to have the Skanks come into town later in the year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By finleyshero on Monday, September 26, 2005 - 09:04 am:

MLB is as crooked as it gets. Nothing new about that. Selig is all about revenue maximization, not competitiveness.

Remember, this is a passtime, not a sport.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By linusalf on Monday, September 26, 2005 - 02:08 pm:

plus we play the first place red sox down while anaheim is challenged by.........the tigers........

also, 2nd to last weekend of the year who does anaheim play in the games that count the most??

the DEVIL RAYS!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaklandcrazy on Monday, September 26, 2005 - 02:18 pm:

And the A's lost every toss for possible tie breakers--all done behind closed doors.

MLB knows what they want--big market teams in the playoffs. I personally hope it is Cleveland vs the Marlins (won't happen) but Cleveland vs San Diego might be fun.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Monday, September 26, 2005 - 03:17 pm:

And don't forget, the champion RedSux get to play their last 7 games at home. MLB definitely plays favorites.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ronc on Monday, September 26, 2005 - 03:49 pm:

Has anybody checked the breakdown of the seven extra games against the East? The A's were asking for more home games against the Yanks and Sox to increase attendance. Just wondering if they got what they wished for (and more).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jerryo1 on Monday, September 26, 2005 - 04:05 pm:

Yankers are in for the first three games of the season, and that is their lone Oaktown appearance. Not sure about Boston. They are in at the end of August, but I don't recall if they are here again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By msu02 on Monday, September 26, 2005 - 04:06 pm:

You guys are nuts, I hate hearing excuses. The A's played the Devil Rays nine times and lost five of the games. Also, at home they were swept by Baltimore and lost two out of three to Kansas City. They just lost two out of three to an out of contention Texas team at home. The A's finish the season in Seattle against a terrible team. The Yankees finish the season at freaking Fenway Park, which is about the toughest series you can get. Do you think MLB is out to get the Yankees? Don't point your finger at the schedule or anything else, the Angels won the games that mattered.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By okplayer on Monday, September 26, 2005 - 04:32 pm:

yep msu02. well said. I'm a conspiracy theorist and don't believe the above conspiracy theories. halos represented a's didn't.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By finleyshero on Monday, September 26, 2005 - 05:26 pm:

I agree completely the A's did not perform down the stretch, which is what is so disheartening about the season. This division was there for the taking. If tha Angels can win the thing by winning eight straight, at home, against the Tiggers, Rangers and Devil Dogs, we let them have it too easy. The A's had their shots at all those teams too.

It is also pointless to complain about the MLB schedule, because it is unbalanced and full of interleague matchups designed to maximize gate revenue. No thought is given to fairness or balance.

If we are to be upset about it favoring one team, I'd say it favored the Indians more than the Angels. Look at all the extra games they got against those Banana Republics in their division.

Welcome to the carnival fun house world of Bud Selig, the grand shill!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sactodavey on Monday, September 26, 2005 - 11:27 pm:

again beane knew we needed a bat for a spark it was not the pitching that failed but the offense, beane in all his supposed glory could have made some kind of deal but it was his idea we were not suppose to compete this yr.

live n die with our god almighty billy beane.

heil beane heil beane

beane is mein fuerhur!!!!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Monday, September 26, 2005 - 11:32 pm:

What BAT was out there to trade for? Easy to say, go get a big bat, but doing it isn't as easy. This isn't Madden baseball where you could do these moves in a video game, I'm sure Beane wanted to get that bat but there wasn't nothing out there for a reasonable price.

Yes, I know Chavez, even during the A's great two month run a few months ago said he even thought the A's needed a bat even when they were winning. You'd think if he said something in the media like that, Beane was just standing pat and thought everything was okay with the team.

Forget the Manny type signings off the waiver wire type moves, that wasn't going to happen with the A's.

Crosby and Harden getting injured, plus the young and inexpereince that this team had were the main reasons in my opinion that led to the A's not making it to the playoffs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By okplayer on Monday, September 26, 2005 - 11:33 pm:

bb didn't want to get his hopes up b/c if he did and mulder and huddy trades failed, then he'd look like an idiot. typical bb, lower the expectatoins so he can avert criticism.

that's bb's deal. he's a media spinmaster as I've said ad nausium.

still a great gm, just full of shit sometimes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By okplayer on Monday, September 26, 2005 - 11:34 pm:

let's see what bb does this offseason. if he sits on his ass and doesn't bring in a Burrel, Giles, Dunn-type player, let's rip him.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Tuesday, September 27, 2005 - 04:22 am:

I wouldn't say there's a conspiracy, but seems strange to have the NYY opening the year in Oakland?! Past 4-5 years, don't you usually start off with a division opponent?

I do agree the A's need a veteran offensive bat. The best thing to do is trade for one while not losing a Zito/Barton type player in the deal.

I can't see the A's putting up the same lineup next year as the one they used the past few weeks will do them any good. Sure DJ/Swisher/Crosby hopefully will have even bigger years but still, don't know if you want to go in wanting a 1/3 of your lineup filled with a bunch of 2nd and 3rd year players, especially Crosby who has been injury prone all this year.

You'll probably see Barton up at least midseason if a DJ or Swisher struggle and Barton can get in there for a few games during a week but unless he puts up Ryan Howard/Jeff Francouer type second half numbers, he's probably two years away from really contributing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By okplayer on Tuesday, September 27, 2005 - 10:08 am:

otf, i don't think johnson will struggle at all. he's been so consistent offensively his whole pro career. do agree that while swish, croz, and dj will be better the a's can't be PASSIVE and wait for those guys to make a difference. No clue where the a's plan to play barton. I think his future is as a DH/OF type.

I do think the prospect Ethier will be trade bait with a combo of Saarloos (who put up good #s, thus could be more marketable), Kennedy, or Cruz. I don't want zito to be traded, just think he may be one of the a's few bargaining chips. Barton won't be traded.

Frankly, I'd like to see the a's have more of an identity on offense: hit for average, hit for power, hit and run, steal, whatever. this years a's team was the worst of both worlds, no power, no speed, low average. those runs scored #s were inflated by the 33-7 hot streak.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Tuesday, September 27, 2005 - 10:21 am:

Actually DJ has struggled really bad in September compared to what he did the last 3 months of the summer.

June:
24 games-.303, 13 runs, 2 hrs, 13 RBIs, .814 OPS.

July:
22 games-.364, 14 runs, 4 hrs, 12 RBIs, 1049 OPS.

August:
28 games-.287, 16 runs, 6 hrs, 19 RBIs, .888 OPS.

September:
24 games-.207, 8 runs, 3 hrs, 10 RBIs, .627 OPS.

I agree thought, about trading an Ethier and maybe Blanton. I doubt Saarloos/JK/Cruz could garner you much unless you trade 2 out of the 3 or maybe all of them and a top prospect like an Ethier to get that big bat we need desperately.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By okplayer on Tuesday, September 27, 2005 - 10:34 am:

good points re DJ.

yikes. i love blanton nooo. the key is meyer. if he mans up next year then you have enormous flexibility to deal an ace (something they may have to do anyway). frankly, I think blanton is the heir apparant to greg maddux. i'd deal zito b/4 blanton. ugh, i'm sick. the thought of trading any of the a's big four makes me sick. again, the key is meyer.

I think Ethier will be dealt as the A's have a log-jam of lefty OF/1st/DH types now and in the future with Swish, DJ, Barton, Kotsay.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jerryo1 on Tuesday, September 27, 2005 - 10:45 am:

"You'll probably see Barton up at least midseason"

From MLB.com:
A's prospect Daric Barton, who batted .318 in 79 games at Class A Stockton and .316 in 56 games at Double-A Midland this year, visited the A's and watched batting practice on Monday. Barton, who reports to the Arizona Fall League on Wednesday, also was acquired in the Mulder trade. He played first base almost exclusively this season but said his one game in the outfield went well. "They didn't hit any balls to me, so that was perfect," he cracked.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By gregorymark on Tuesday, September 27, 2005 - 12:50 pm:

Excuse me while I adjust my tinfoil hat.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Tuesday, September 27, 2005 - 12:56 pm:

God, listening to Barton, although he was probably joking; sounds like another Ben Grieve. Although Grieve had a gun for an arm early on in his career, don't know how good Barton's is.

Maybe Barton will become the hitter we all thought Grieve would've been when he first was drafted by the A's but tanked after he got traded in 2001.

Barton sounds like a David Ortiz type player. Probably 1B is his best position spot and is pretty average there, hopefully Barton is as great of a hitter as Big Pappi is. lol

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By okplayer on Tuesday, September 27, 2005 - 01:04 pm:

otf, barton's all about the stick and will probably be a DH for the majority of his career. as such, the a's probably should consider a guy who's at the tail-end of his contract to DH for a yr or two.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Tuesday, September 27, 2005 - 01:09 pm:

If the A's are looking for maybe a year or two from a player, then I could see the A's going after a Sweeney or Piazza.

Personally, I'd like to get a youg offensive stud bat like Burrell or even Helton(with Col paying part of his salary).

Both of those teams need pitching bad and we got the pitching both in the majors and minors right now and add a Ethier and or Robnett/Herrera to the deal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By drummer510 on Tuesday, September 27, 2005 - 03:01 pm:

Not Burrell, Helton would be a stud especially wit his defense at first. But I doubt the A's would do anything big like that, i would be very happy with Sweeney as DH, he's a total A's player, including the fact that he's from KC. It seems like every pick up we make is from KC. Its a string from KC to Oakland, to NY or Boston.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By okplayer on Tuesday, September 27, 2005 - 03:06 pm:

drummer510, are you the dude with the catcher's gear and the big 510 jersey?

anyway, Helton's road numbers aren't very exciting. beware of rockies my friend. I actually like burrell and the phils could use more starting pitching. of course, so could the rockies. sweeny would be fine. in fact, any good stick would be fine. Burren's a bay area guy and on my fantasy team so I'm a bit biased.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By drummer510 on Tuesday, September 27, 2005 - 03:17 pm:

Naw, that guy is pretty funny though. Its a sweet jersey. drummer510 is my email address

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By yc2578 on Tuesday, September 27, 2005 - 03:17 pm:

Helton's contract is an albatross so he's not even worth discussing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By okplayer on Tuesday, September 27, 2005 - 03:25 pm:

yc, plus he's a rockie and has inflated home stats. chavvy hits 40 hrs a year if he plays in Col.

Burrell's my guy. He's making $7.2mil. if that's too much for the a's then I'm done with this team.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.