Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

more attendance bashing

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: more attendance bashing
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By asch on Tuesday, September 27, 2005 - 09:01 am:

"http://www.sacbee.com/content/sports/story/13631927p-14474369c.html"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dorrit on Tuesday, September 27, 2005 - 09:13 am:

Once again, the press has a field day criticizing Oakland.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By finleyshero on Tuesday, September 27, 2005 - 09:35 am:

Lame article...kind of out of character for Casey, who is normally a pretty decent writer. He sounds as disgusted as most A's fans with the team at this point, and just chose this manner to reflect it.

I doubt the Bee has an agenda, but it makes you wonder since this is the second article in the last few days to bash attendance. Our pal, Marcos Breton, made some disparaging comments about A's attendance last week as well. Of course, he may not be long for the paper after his politically incorrect column about the WNBA recently.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sactodavey on Tuesday, September 27, 2005 - 10:08 am:

19k for a big series is puke , can you blame the press? you east bay residence who proclaim your right get out to the park your only 30 min away people.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By okplayer on Tuesday, September 27, 2005 - 10:12 am:

fact of the matter is, the a's need to do a better job getting season ticket holders. that's where not letting marketable players walk becomes an issue. that's where having a shit park becomes an issue.

if you leave it up to walkups, they'll go if they think the a's have a chance to actually win the division. if the a's were 1-2 games back it would have been another story. I didn't go but would have if the a's were more in the hunt.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By leftfield139 on Tuesday, September 27, 2005 - 10:16 am:

Well it's just not a place people are willing to go see a game. It is sad I think a packed house would have make a huge difference. What are ya going to do though, same as it ever was. I was there

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By okplayer on Tuesday, September 27, 2005 - 10:24 am:

You wanna have good attendance a's? Keep these things in mind:

1) Don't let star players walk. Otherwise, you'll only have die-hards. You aren't going to make big $ until you appeal to the casual fan, something you wont' do playing in a shit stadium and without marquee players. period.

2) KNBR is the gnats biggest marketing tool. A's have never had anything close to an equivalant. Don't change damn radio stations every year.

3) Mt. Davis. Nuff said.

4) Schitt was all about earning equity on the team. As such, advertising expenditures, player payroll, et al took a beating. There you have it. Shitty attendance.

5) Stop choking.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Tuesday, September 27, 2005 - 10:30 am:

Getting a new park will solve all the attendance problems. Even when the A's were winning AL West and AL WC titles from 2000-2003, they didn't come close to what they did attendance wise when they averaged 2.7 from 89-91 and 2.5 from 89-92.

A's get a new park, they'll draw 30k+ EVERY NIGHT. Even if the A's do make the playoffs the next few years, will they come close to drawing like they did back in the late 80 and early 90s, I doubt it. The coliseum is still looked upon as an outdated venue and people here always want to go to the "in thing" and going to a 30+ year old coliseum isn't a drawing card. Yes, you can say the team SHOULD be the drawing card if they're winning but this is the bay area.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By okplayer on Tuesday, September 27, 2005 - 10:41 am:

OTF, basically you integrate an Emerville Powell street environment with a baseball park and there you have it.

Oakland needs to do this for their own sake. they gotta stop being 2nd class citizens. of course, they have a f--d up school system to deal with, which, naturlly takes precedent.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Tuesday, September 27, 2005 - 11:01 am:

Almost every major US city has f'ed up public school systems yet 95% of the MLB cities have built a new park for their team cause they know how important a MLB team is to the city both locally and nationally.

I agree, the plan Wolff has now, hopefully he isn't bull sh$tting us A's fans and the city of Oakland. That would be a great place to visit with new projects popping up all over that area of the city.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Tuesday, September 27, 2005 - 01:27 pm:

I was there. Figuring there would be a big crowd, and not wanting to wait in a long line to buy a ticket, I spent an extra $8.50 to buy a ticket online. So I get there, and there's 19K. Very disappointing, I must say.

I have a ticket for tonight as well, but I'm actually thinking about NOT going so as not to see the Angels celebrate in our house -- again. But, I'll be there. Our guys need and deserve all the support they can get.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Tuesday, September 27, 2005 - 09:28 pm:

Hopefully there isn't a significant dropoff the next two games, which happen to be the last two home games this year.

Why the last home game is an afternoon game on Thursday when most people are working and kids are at school.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Tuesday, September 27, 2005 - 10:50 pm:

Cuz Thursday games are virtually always in the daytime.

About 1,000 fewer people tonight than last, only 18K.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.