Guidelines
    Help
Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

the A's appreciate Macha's laid-back style?!

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: the A's appreciate Macha's laid-back style?!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dorrit on Thursday, September 29, 2005 - 07:22 pm:

From the Times:Bobby Crosby was asked if he or his teammates might campaign to general manager Billy Beane to retain Macha. "I don't know if that's my place. I would love to have Macha back.Macha helped me through some tough times last year, and tough times this year.He's always been fantastic.."
"As a manager, he's been great", Mark Kotsay said. "With the older guys, he lets us do what we need to do.." A's players, who thrive on the loose atmosphere in the clubhouse,appreciate Macha's laid-back style...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Thursday, September 29, 2005 - 08:36 pm:

I read some similar comments from Zito.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By asch on Friday, September 30, 2005 - 07:12 am:

well, atleast this is a time when as fans we can appreciate the fact that BB doesn't care what his players think! :)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By renobill on Friday, September 30, 2005 - 10:13 am:

LOL, Asch.

Man, I sure hope that BB is just playing at negotiations in an attempt to make sure that Kenny appears wanted so he can get another job.

The thought of another season of Macha holed up in the dugout doing his gum chewing and little else while we flounder out of the gate, makes me throw up in my mouth.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bubba69 on Friday, September 30, 2005 - 10:30 am:

Well this will make you sick...I was listening to an east coast radio station and Macha's name came up as MOY...I almost puked myself!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By asch on Friday, September 30, 2005 - 11:50 am:

Was Naomi doing the radio show?

Reno, I think that is EXACTLY what BB is doing. We almost always "pretend" to negotiate - except with miggy. But this way, we don't look so bad.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By samk on Friday, September 30, 2005 - 11:59 am:

We did that with Howe too if I recall.
It was artful way of letting him go, without actually doing so.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ronc on Friday, September 30, 2005 - 12:04 pm:

I think he's staying. Macha is another one of BB's projects.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By okplayer on Friday, September 30, 2005 - 03:02 pm:

have any of bb's projects worked? Hatte-hardy; macha-no; kielty-no; rhodes-no.

bb's (and his scouts) have a great eye for young talent, however.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By chinanski on Friday, September 30, 2005 - 03:34 pm:

All right, here it goes, a bit of disagreement. Sure Mach has made some terrible managerial decisions, especially certain pitching and pinch-hitting calls enumerated many, many times here. Fact is, we’ve done a lot of winning with him as manager. I know, here comes the “we’ve won in spite of him” joke. Jokes are fine but no one will ever be able to prove that Macha didn’t make many of the field decisions that allowed the A’s to win as many games as they have in the Macha years. Sometimes it would be great if he showed emotion, but I’ll take our wins under Macha versus the emotions of Sweet Lou any day. An extreme example? Sure. I guess I just don’t understand the intense animosity towards Macha when we’ve done so much winning with him around. He’s not a superstar baseball “dream” manager, but under BB we’re never EVER going to be able to one of the “great” managers. It’s always going to be a different shade of grey. But whatever, I understand, a little bitching feels good sometimes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Friday, September 30, 2005 - 04:35 pm:

This article from today's CC Times talks mostly about Chavez' probable surgery in the off-season, but I found Macha's comments in the last paragraph very interesting.

"I very much appreciate him [Chavez] because, much like myself, he's not very emotional, but that doesn't mean the fire's not burning. He's putting it all out there. He's probably one of our hardest workers. I'm pleased with the effort he puts out there. With him getting 100 RBI, I was a little bit upset he didn't make the All-Star team. If you had a vote now, would it be (Baltimore's) Melvin Mora? I don't know."

http://www.contracostatimes.com/mld/cctimes/sports/baseball/mlb/oakland_athletics/12781391.htm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jenmed on Friday, September 30, 2005 - 04:52 pm:

Maybe Chavez will make an All Star team the same year he doesn't suck mightily in the first half.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By renobill on Friday, September 30, 2005 - 05:10 pm:

"It’s always going to be a different shade of grey."

Chin.
I would classify Caca's managing style as more a shade of brown as too many of his on field decisions seem to exude from his posterior. :)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By asch on Friday, September 30, 2005 - 05:18 pm:

Again, I can't prove what macha didn't do. But I can have you look at the games yourself and you can see what he did do that sucked.

I don't think macha is a moron, but I do think that almost any baseball guy could steer this ship to have the same amount of wins that macha had.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By calig on Monday, October 03, 2005 - 02:50 pm:

Asch-
Could any baseball guy have steered the A's ship when the A's were 15 under 0.500 this year?

How about Larry Bowa? Bobby Valentine? Lou Phinella?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By asch on Monday, October 03, 2005 - 04:26 pm:

"steering the ship" is about as overrated of a term as I can imagine.

Don't you think Macha helped that losing streak out by refusing to do ANYTHING to get the offense going? OR, are you in the camp that thinks the team would have sailed 40 games under .500 if Macha had made a change instead of being "patient"??

This guy came out said that everyone was in their "optimal slot" and preached patience but then when he finally decided to move kendall to the 2nd slot, kendall started hitting better....hmm...... thanks for that patience.

Any reason you can come up with to say Macha deserved MOY, I can easily and clearly point out a reason why he helped to dig the whole.

Remember too, the team basically all went into a slump together. Then they all came out of a slump together, then back in together.

The crux of the bisquit is, do you applaud Kenny for being patient and resisiting the temptation to make a spark? Or do you fault him for not enforcing something to try and break out of it? I mean, that was an awfully long slump. I could easily make the case that by trying to spark the offense, we win 5-10 more games and move into the playoffs.......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By chinanski on Tuesday, October 04, 2005 - 09:06 am:

How often is a manager supposed to juggle the line up? The move of Kendall to the 2nd spot earlier in the year was the spark . . . Kendall batting 1st/2nd was also one of the nails in the coffin later in the year. In my gut, at the time, I also wanted the line up juggled at both periods. But when I ask myself if Macha had made line up changes more often and the juggle didn't work, wouldn't I have been saying "let the line up settle in"? I don't know. To me it's not so clear cut. All and all it just seems that these A's have done well under the guy. Maybe anyone could do as well, but I haven't seen them with these A's. I won't cry if Macha walks, I just think sometimes the devil you know is better.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By washfan on Tuesday, October 04, 2005 - 10:07 am:

The players write the line-up

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By chris_d on Tuesday, October 04, 2005 - 10:13 am:

I still don't understand why Ron Washington isn't being mentioned at all as a candidate to manage the A's.

People say, 'Well, it's because he likes small-ball.' But he's been here with Oakland and Beane for 10 years. I'm sure he knows what kind of style the A's play and would be willing to play under Beane's parameters, if only to get the chance to manage at the big-league level. He can pull a "Howe-Macha" and move on to a better situation after he's made his name as a manager. I mean, if Washington is willing to go to Tampa Bay(?!) for manager's job, I'm sure he'd be willing to have Beane in his ear all season.

If it's because Beane doesn't appreciate Wash or doesn't think he has what it takes, then that begs the question: Why not?

It just seems like Washington would be perfect for this team -- he's respected by the players, excellent teacher, charismatic and likable, longtime A's employee familiar with the roster and style. So what's the problem?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ssblip on Tuesday, October 04, 2005 - 10:16 am:

The problem? Washington is his own man. And everyone knows it. It's not that Wash wouldn't be a very good manager -- he'd be awesome -- it's just that he would NOT be a good fit under the strong arm of BB.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By chris_d on Tuesday, October 04, 2005 - 10:33 am:

Fair enough. I've heard that argument before, too. But hasn't Washington had to make sacrifices (i.e., shutting his mouth when friend Thad Bosley got run out of town) before and answer to the strong arm of Beane as the 3B coach and IF coach?

I agree with you ssblip. I think Washington would be a very good manager, too. But it begs more questions, and they need to be directed toward Beane: When we're passing up good managerial candidates simply because they have TOO much guts and strength, aren't we unnecessarily painting ourselves into a corner where we do NOT get the best man for the job? We just get the guy at which Beane is least likely to throw a chair.

This is like a variation of that old Groucho Marx joke, where he wouldn't want to belong to a club that would actually have him as a member. Well, I'm not sure we should be excited when they hire an A's manager, given that you have to be a total yes-man in order to be hired.

For the record, I'm not a Beane-hater. As a GM, I think Beane performs miracles every year and I shudder to think where we'd be without him. I pretty much am a part of the "In Billy We Trust" crowd.

But, I'm starting to see some similarities between a young Billy Beane and a young Al Davis. Make of that what you will.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ronc on Tuesday, October 04, 2005 - 10:44 am:

Wash's name hasn't been mentioned with the A's because there is no vacancy. Macha is Beane's guy. The BB worshippers need to get with the program and learn to love Macha :)
Yeah, I wondered if Macha was was going to get a new gig and then give a Shanahan speech (in Denver) ... "this is my first head coach position" etc.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By asch on Tuesday, October 04, 2005 - 11:33 am:

BB knows Geren is the man if macha leaves....and he can qualify by saying Geren has manager experience...I don't believe Wash has that experience, right?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By finleyshero on Tuesday, October 04, 2005 - 03:14 pm:

Look on the bright side, at least Macha does not require players to bow to their sensei...
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20051004/capt.modp14010042113.padres_cardinals_modp140.jpg

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By washfan on Tuesday, October 04, 2005 - 05:25 pm:

Now that is some shit!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By washfan on Tuesday, October 04, 2005 - 05:31 pm:

A's offer Macha three-year, $2.6M deal
Manager's agent to present counter-proposal on Tuesday

"Two hours was enough," Macha told MLB.com by phone Tuesday. "I had to get out of there, so I went and played golf at a Special Olympics event and tried not to think about anything but hitting the ball straight."

BILLY your killing me!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By renobill on Tuesday, October 04, 2005 - 07:39 pm:

Hopefully Macha will mismanage his negotiations with us like he did the team and think he is worth more than he is.
Then hopefully there will be a GM stupid enough to pay him that number and take him off our hands.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By okplayer on Tuesday, October 04, 2005 - 08:13 pm:

with tracy now on the market and the Det spot filled, Macha may have less leverage to get another job...just regurging what gammons said.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Tuesday, October 04, 2005 - 08:22 pm:

Who got the Det job?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By washfan on Tuesday, October 04, 2005 - 08:27 pm:

Leyland

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By asch on Tuesday, October 04, 2005 - 08:51 pm:

I wonder if Kenny would do better if he was on a team where he'd be allowed to fully manage and have some players who are more well rounded....
but again, for our team? I just don't see it mattering too much.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Tuesday, October 04, 2005 - 09:29 pm:

And apparently Tracy is the leading candidate for Pitts. Kenny's options may be shrinking.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jerryo1 on Tuesday, October 04, 2005 - 09:46 pm:

I'm sure that the team that he was playing golf with (see above) could use a manager, and Macha would be a perfect fit.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.