Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

MLB Awards your thoughts

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: MLB Awards your thoughts
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By raiderjohn on Monday, October 03, 2005 - 10:03 am:

AL MVP ARod
Cy Young Colon
Rookie Steet
Manager Francona

NL MVP Pujols
Cy Young Willis
Rookie Franceour
Manager Cox

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Monday, October 03, 2005 - 10:36 am:

AL
MVP: Ortiz
CY:Colon
ROY:Street
Manager:Guillen

NL
MVP:A.Jones
CY:Willis
ROY:Francouer
Manager:Cox

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By cool_hand on Monday, October 03, 2005 - 10:52 am:

AL
MVP: A-Rod
CY: Colon
ROY: Blanton
Manager: Torre

NL
MVP: A.Jones
CY: Willis
ROY: Francouer
Manager: Cox

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By drummer510 on Monday, October 03, 2005 - 11:32 am:

AL
MVP: Gurerro (They won 13 of there last 14)
Cy: Colon
ROY: Street
Manager: Torre

NL
MVP: A. Jones
CY: Carpenter
ROY:Francuer

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jenmed on Monday, October 03, 2005 - 12:00 pm:

AL

MVP: Rodriguez.
Cy: Colon
ROY: Street, but could have been Blanton with some freaking run support.
Manager: No call. No clear winner here, particularly given Guillen's 2nd half problems.

NL

MVP: Probably A. Jones. Should be Pujols IMHO.
Cy: Carpenter
ROY: Francoeur
Manager: Cox or Garner. Gotta give Garner some credit for helping turn the team's season around. I would have grudgingly (very grudgingly) given the AL award to Macha if the A's had made the playoffs!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By yc2578 on Monday, October 03, 2005 - 03:12 pm:

I would vote Blanton as ROY as well but he'll get almost no support because of his low win total. Hopefully Street will then win it then. Tadahito Iguchi should not win it under any circumstances. It'd be one thing if he was having an Ichiro type year or if there were no good candidates but that's not the case. It'd be a real shame if a true rookie, even a Gustavo Chachin or Jonny Gomes, didn't win the award.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ronc on Monday, October 03, 2005 - 03:16 pm:

My picks, not who they will pick

AL MVP: Papi
Cy Young: J.Santana
Rookie: Street
Manager: Guillen

NL MVP: Pujols
Cy Young: Clemens
Rookie: Ryan Howard

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By finleyshero on Monday, October 03, 2005 - 03:30 pm:

Don't be surprised if Robinson Cano wins ROY. I'm not saying it's right. I'm not saying he deserves it. I'm just saying most of these guys are swilling their drinks or passed out before the A's ever take the field, and they've been starving for another Yankee rookie to blather over.

Howard will win NL MVP for the same reason. Philly's only a short train ride from the Big Apple, whereas most of them skip the game and go to the strip clubs when visiting Atlanta.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ronc on Monday, October 03, 2005 - 03:40 pm:

Howard had a better year than Francoeur so they didn't miss anything

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By raiderjohn on Monday, October 03, 2005 - 04:01 pm:

ROY is voted on by baseball writers of each team, 2 writer from each team has a vote. I don't think Cano will win based on being in New York. What year, Berroa over Matsui?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By yc2578 on Monday, October 03, 2005 - 04:31 pm:

Ya when it comes to award voting, at least in recent years, there hasn't been any real bias in favor of the Yankees. I'd prefer Cano over Iguchi though as at least he's a real rookie.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By fwa3 on Monday, October 03, 2005 - 04:34 pm:

AL MVP: A-Rod (a DH just shouldn't win this award).
AL CY: Buehrle
AL ROY: Street
AL Manager: Torre

NL MVP: Jones
NL CY: Carpenter
NL ROY: Howard
NL Manager: Cox

I think the toughest call is AL Manager and AL Cy Young. No clear winner in the cy young chase but a case can be made for Mariano Rivera (although, like the DH, a reliever shouldn't win this award).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By finleyshero on Monday, October 03, 2005 - 04:44 pm:

Hmm, MLB ensures fair and equal representation from each city when it comes to writers, huh? Too bad they don't do the same thing with the players.

I figured they'd just let the NY and Boston papers buy all the best writers from all the other cities in order to ensure somebody from the Yankees or Red Sox wins every year.

After all, that rivalry is so great for the game...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By okplayer on Monday, October 03, 2005 - 09:20 pm:

YC,
you and i don't agree much but Amen on blanton for roy. if he plays for the yanks he goes 20-8 and people are calling him ROY and cy young candidate. Ws and Ls are so overrated it drives me nuts. Same reason I have clemens for NL Cy.

AL MVP: A-rod (his offensive #s aren't too far off from Ortiz plus he plays the field, plus he steals bases occasionally)
AL CY: Bartolo
AL ROY: Blanton
AL MGR: Guillien

NL MVP: A. Jones
NL CY: Clemens
NL ROY: Howard
NL MGR: Cox

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By velveteen_fop on Monday, October 03, 2005 - 11:30 pm:

Can Ken Korach receive some sort of award for all of the Botox he has blasted into his weathered face this year? It has to be a world record.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Monday, October 03, 2005 - 11:34 pm:

Blanton ranked 10th in the AL in ERA for SP so yeah, if he had just good run support, I'd bet he'd have at least 17 wins and maybe more.

But Street has been I think more dominant. To have an ERA that low at maybe the most demanding position for a rookie to be placed in and to see him be one of the best closers at the age of 22! Street deserves ROY.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By velveteen_fop on Monday, October 03, 2005 - 11:39 pm:

Does that mean you don't think Ken deserves an award? Because it hurts to take in that much chicken poison in one calendar year. Certainly a trophy, plaque, free treatment and/or meal at a nearby Carrow's would not be too much to ask.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By washfan on Tuesday, October 04, 2005 - 10:19 am:

Wow a a troll with an axe to grind against one of the great radio voices of the A's...What'd he do stiff you at your job as a server/waiter at Carrow's?

Aside from his performance Street might get ROY becuase he did that Rookie online notebook for ESPN ie more well known to the general baseball fan.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By finleyshero on Tuesday, October 04, 2005 - 01:55 pm:

FOP must be a bitter Fresno State fan who couldn't stand Korach's calls of San Jose State's constant throttlings of the Bulldogs back when the Spartans amounted to something.

http://athleticsnation.com/images/admin/korach_blez.jpg

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By velveteen_fop on Tuesday, October 04, 2005 - 04:27 pm:

Good shot of Ken. I imagine there was some sort of free meal and/or grog at that function, it would explain why he was there. Looks like it was right after a treatment, though it appears they jammed a little too much 'Tox on his right side there.

I wasn't aware Fresno State and San Jose State still had athletic programs. I was never much of an Ivy League sports fan, to be honest.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By raiderjohn on Thursday, October 06, 2005 - 04:31 pm:

Well the first awards are in Giambi and Griffey comeback players of the year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By asch on Thursday, October 06, 2005 - 05:32 pm:

how does nobody vote wedge for MOY?
A little surprising.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By yc2578 on Thursday, October 06, 2005 - 06:24 pm:

As I've been doing my player rankings and pouring over all these stats I can't believe the Indians didn't make the playoffs. They should have won 100 games. Maybe Wedge is the problem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Thursday, October 06, 2005 - 09:12 pm:

I don't blame Wedge.

This year's Indians' team reminded me of the 99 A's. Both teams were in the hunt for the playoffs the last week and both fell apart because of the lack of experience by most of the players.

Cleveland will be the force in the AL Central for the next decade.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By okplayer on Thursday, October 06, 2005 - 10:38 pm:

yeah, cleveland had a great bulle, great starting, great hitting. that collapse against the sox at the end of the year was epic. major chokejob.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.