Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

Bye Bye Kenny Macha

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: Bye Bye Kenny Macha
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By alcasfan on Wednesday, October 05, 2005 - 12:55 pm:

http://oakland.athletics.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20051005&content_id=1238823&vkey=news_oak&fext=.jsp&c_id=oak

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rayfossefan on Wednesday, October 05, 2005 - 12:57 pm:

WOW. interesting that beane didn't want to budge. sounds like macha really wanted to stay in oakland. i wonder if he is allowed to take his coaching staff with him or not. i really hope this means washington will be the next A's manager!!!! however, i am sure it will probably end up being geren.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jenmed on Wednesday, October 05, 2005 - 01:02 pm:

It tells me that there was never an intent to keep Macha. The $500K over 3 years that separated the two offers is peanuts. (i.e. the lowest the agent said Macha would take.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Wednesday, October 05, 2005 - 01:06 pm:

Does this mean Washington may have a chance at the A's manager job?

Though I think Geron probably is the fav.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bfriend on Wednesday, October 05, 2005 - 01:07 pm:

Art Howe is still available isn't he?... :)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jenmed on Wednesday, October 05, 2005 - 01:08 pm:

Wash has no chance IMHO. He is no one's yes man, and that is what he would need to be for Billy.

Hate to say it, but Tampa would be CRAZY not to steal him to be their next manager.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By wbell on Wednesday, October 05, 2005 - 01:15 pm:

Except for Hudgens, the entire coaching staff was retained. Though some could leave (with permission) for better jobs.

Washington is also one of the candidates for the Dodgers' job.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rocket on Wednesday, October 05, 2005 - 01:36 pm:

Pretty proforma , just going through the
motions on both sides.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By alcasfan on Wednesday, October 05, 2005 - 01:47 pm:

art howe will be available for years-

god forbid.

:)
let's hope it is wash.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Wednesday, October 05, 2005 - 01:49 pm:

Urban was on KNBR and he said Wash is probably more interested in the TB job and that most liklely, Geron who was the bullpen coach and AAA coach before that would get the A's managerial job.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By okplayer on Wednesday, October 05, 2005 - 01:51 pm:

bottom line--bb's a beast to work for. seven straight winning seasons, four playoff appearances, three mgrs? hmmmmmmm.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By raiderjohn on Wednesday, October 05, 2005 - 01:52 pm:

I hope it's Wash, I hope Beane goes against everything he's stood for this one time. That being said, I think Beane will drag his feet(with Geren being the 1st choice), see Wash jump at TB or LA, Wash citing unable to wait. Beane cleans his hands and hires Geren as the new manager.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By okplayer on Wednesday, October 05, 2005 - 01:57 pm:

raider, you beat me to the punch. bb's a master and spinning crap like this. wash will bounce b/4 BB chooses geren over him, thus making everyone look good.

i think bb will get flak for this stuff. his act is becoming very transparant.

i know ya'll get tired of my bb bashing, i think he's a great wheeler and dealer but (from an outsider's perspective) his arrogance rubs me the wrong way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By okplayer on Wednesday, October 05, 2005 - 01:58 pm:

wash should steer clear from LA LA if that loser Depo is still there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ronc on Wednesday, October 05, 2005 - 02:01 pm:

I agree with Jen, the $500k difference is peanuts. They don't want Macha. In the four playoff chokes and the two September collapses for me the biggest bonehead play of all (and there have been plenty of them) was when Macha pinch hit for JD with Melhuse.

Any truth to the rumor that the FireBobGeren and the FireRonWashington blogs have been created already :)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By givedaddy5 on Wednesday, October 05, 2005 - 02:01 pm:

Am I the only one pumped up by this move? I am happy to see Macha out. He should have been let go after the playoff debacle of 2003. Whoever they get has to be better than Kenny M

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By billymac on Wednesday, October 05, 2005 - 02:05 pm:

Washington has the be the frontrunner in my opinion. The skills needed to be a successful manager of the A's are ability to motivate players and deal with public relations, two areas where Washington excels. I know Ron has an old school streak in him, but just because you like bunting and stealing bases doesn't mean you do it regardless of your personnel. The A's aren't built for small ball, and Washington is bright enough to recognize that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By scattymatty22 on Wednesday, October 05, 2005 - 02:07 pm:

I didn't hear the rumor about the crawford for kennedy and a prospect until i read it on this site, maybe this will end up like the lou pinella trade from seatle, where seatle got randy winn. We give the D'rays Wash, Kennedy, a prospect and we get crawford. They were willing to get rid of winn when at that point he was an all-star for Pinella, maybe their ready to give up crawford for Wash.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By raiderjohn on Wednesday, October 05, 2005 - 02:07 pm:

I'm pumped about the move, but the BB we all love and hate sometimes will rear it's ugly head and we'll see Geren as manager. Hopefully Chavez, Crosby, DJ come forward and pimp Wash as manager to Beane.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By washfan on Wednesday, October 05, 2005 - 02:13 pm:

Will I have to change my Username if Wash departs for another team?

Maybe we could get Peterson back as our Pitching Coach after next season???

Joey Morgan our next Hitting Instructor?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By okplayer on Wednesday, October 05, 2005 - 02:14 pm:

everyone is happy macha's gone. i'm looking at it from a "big picture" standpoint. why was he hired in the first place? why does bb devalue field mgrs? Why is bb going to pass on Wash?

agree w/raider that the only way wash is the mgr is if the players lobby.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By renobill on Wednesday, October 05, 2005 - 04:36 pm:

"agree w/raider that the only way wash is the mgr is if the players lobby"

Or, maybe, if Monte Poole were to write another article playing the race card (bogus as it was the first time) on Beane this time regarding the Manager position, BB might acquiesse and bring in the best man for the job IMO, Mr. Ron Washington.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Wednesday, October 05, 2005 - 04:52 pm:

The bad thing about not hiring Wash as manager is the fact that it would be a lose-lose proposition since he will most likely be managing elsewhere.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Wednesday, October 05, 2005 - 05:33 pm:

Good idea, renobill. Shame Billy into hiring Wash. Whatever it takes...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By renobill on Wednesday, October 05, 2005 - 06:04 pm:

Yeah Ey. Not one of my prouder moments in suggesting that, but desperate times may call for desperate measures.

I firmly believe that the last two years failures to make the playoffs can be placed squarely on the head of the gum chewer. Thus, the source of my desperation.

Today finds me much more optimistic about the A's future with Kenny gone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By okplayer on Wednesday, October 05, 2005 - 06:05 pm:

that's not out of the realm of possibility reno. passing on wash would look VERY bad. guy's been in the org longer, players love him, fans love him, etc. it would have "good ol boy network" written all over it. the key is wash leaves b/4 the a's fill their mgr vacancy. then bb comes out okay. wash might not want the job.

I have an insane theory, the a's play small/aggressive ball, and they suceed at it. that'll shut up billy.

poole probably has the column already written.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rocket on Wednesday, October 05, 2005 - 07:35 pm:

The old "anyone will be an improvement over
_______? Fans love that phrase.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevink on Wednesday, October 05, 2005 - 08:42 pm:

I would LOVE to see Wash as manager!
However, can anyone picture him & billy getting along? I can't!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By washfan on Wednesday, October 05, 2005 - 09:55 pm:

You don't think they get along now or for the past 7 years?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Wednesday, October 05, 2005 - 10:25 pm:

Further to renobill's comment earlier, this was posted on AN by "commuter" who is a long time resident of A's discussion boards:

"i hate to bring this up but the A's have never had an African American manager, right? Given the city they play in and the fact they need a new stadium, it wouldn't be the worst idea in the world if the new ownership wanted to get one, especially one as universally popular as Wash. If it doesn't work out, at least no one can say they didn't try."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By okplayer on Wednesday, October 05, 2005 - 10:40 pm:

yeah, i thought about the race card issue, just didn't want to go there. it's true though, it will look so BAD if Geren gets the job over wash. it's gonna be ugly. the key is if wash takes another job first.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevink on Wednesday, October 05, 2005 - 11:08 pm:

I think wash will either take another job or get the oakland job.
this isn't a race issue it's finding the best man for the job. i think wash is it but if he doesn't get hired, i'm not going to cry racism. in fact I won't even cry.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ronc on Wednesday, October 05, 2005 - 11:18 pm:

Wash has earned his shot to manage the A's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By okplayer on Thursday, October 06, 2005 - 12:05 am:

don't worry kevink, monte poole will cry racism for you. but seriously, no one is saying it's racism, just the fact that passing on wash in favor of geren will look bad on many different levels. there aren't alot of minority head coaches/managers so when one that's qualified (in fact over-qualified) gets passed over, people will gripe.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rtd on Thursday, October 06, 2005 - 02:45 am:

I hate speaking of racism and I believe too many people cheapen the power of the word by leaning on it often inappropriately. That said, if Wash was passed over for Geren, I would consider that overt racism. Wash's success in getting players major league ready is well known. How can that not be rewarded? Not to mention Wash has been passed over once already for a coach with less tenure. Twice for a man of such achievement would be awfully fishy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By asch on Thursday, October 06, 2005 - 07:00 am:

Here are my thoughts:
I am not a HUGE kenny fan, but I am not a HUGE kenny detractor. I think he'd be a decent manager on a team that was a bit more well rounded. That said, I am looking forward to moving on.

I don't wish any ill will to kenny. I kind of almost feel bad for him on how this panned out. As rome would say, it's not ken macha's fault he's ken macha. I hope he catches on with another club.

BB played this EXACTLY how I said he would. He offered a contract, kenny wanted more dough, BB said, can't meet, see you later. This is exactly how it was to go down. What's funny is, I wonder what BB would have done if Kenny took the deal! How funny would that be? It's apparent BB offered that specific deal cause he knew Macha wouldn't take it.

I think it's imperative we get our next manager from within the system. I would like to see wash as manager, but I know it won't happen. And one reason I actually think it shouldn't is that's he's such a great teacher. He wouldn't be able to do that as much as a manager. That being said, I am sure he'll be a manager on another team this year or next, so we lose him anyways.

Since it's most likely going to be Geren, I can't think of too many arguments against him. He's had manager experience (don't think wash has) and he's been in the system for us for a few years. I don't know much about him, but I don't have anything negative to say.

The funniest part about all this is the way it all works. BB let Howe go and kept macha on purpose. He WANTED Kenny at that time. And now, he wanted him gone. So I am not sure who changed in that front. I suspect kenny didn't realize how tightly he'd be eyed by BB and finally just didn't think it was worth it. It's just strange that BB handed him and made moves to get the job to macha years ago and then let him leave like it was nothing. Not that it surprised me, but I suspect BB thinks the way we do: that any decent baseball guy can run this team.

Most of us assume the job is going to Geren. It would be nice if there was a pleasant surprise on that front, just so as to keep things interesting for us fans.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Thursday, October 06, 2005 - 09:51 am:

The counter to the racism accusation is the potential personality conflict between Wash and Billy. If Billy wants someone docile (not to say a puppet), Wash is probably not the right guy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rtd on Thursday, October 06, 2005 - 10:08 am:

Brad Fischer has been in the A's system for almost 30 years. He has managerial experience. He has also been the much important bullpen coach. I guess in retrospect it's hard to bring up race when you got a guy like this that dosen't seem to recieve consideration.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By asch on Thursday, October 06, 2005 - 10:34 am:

Did anyone else know about the blow up that is discussed here, during May re: a pitching change that didn't happen?

"http://www.insidebayarea.com/sports/ci_3091644"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By washfan on Thursday, October 06, 2005 - 10:44 am:

He should have been questioned after games. Hell if the average Joe Baseball fan can pick apart his in game decisions then you can for darn sure bet Billy was. Yes, it's up to the players to produce but Mach made decisions that cost us games ie a playoff shot.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By okplayer on Thursday, October 06, 2005 - 11:17 am:

why did they hire this dude in the first place?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By asch on Thursday, October 06, 2005 - 11:37 am:

good question. I actually am confused by the hire orginally as well. And the funny thing is it seemed Billy REALLY wanted him too, as he basically told Macha - hold tight, howe will be out of here for you shortly.

I think macha was not as mild mannered as the press thought....that's my opinion.

It's also funny how Macha is saying that the next manager will have a "turn-key opportunity" - as to say - "I set it up and here you go, someone else is gonna benefit". Well, um, isn't that what happened with him when he took over? Kind of.

Hell, Howe was the "bump, set" guy here AND in Houston.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Thursday, October 06, 2005 - 12:45 pm:

I'd love to know about those post-game blowups. Beane probably felt the same way we did about Macha's handling of the pitching staff.

Sounds like he's trying to take credit for the "turnkey" state of the team. Hah! Like he had anything to do with the selection or development of the players.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By colt45allstar on Thursday, October 06, 2005 - 12:45 pm:

Bud Black The Angels pitching coach has been mentioned as a possibility.

Interesting option, though I still have little doubt it will be Geren.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.