Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

Brian Cashman

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: Brian Cashman
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevink on Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 10:45 am:

Does anyone think this guy is a good GM?
He has 200 freaking million dollars to play with and losing to the Angels in the ALDS is the best they can do?
I just question the yankees ability to build a great team. I really question them giving Giambi 120 mil. Even if he was back to hitting 40 hrs, this is too much. Other questionable signings:

1. Randy Johnson. Why pay him the big bucks? There are lots of younger pitchers they could have had for cheaper that put up better numbers.
2. Tino Martinez. He's a fan favorite but he's done. Cashman should take one from Beane here, never sign fan favorites unless they will help your team.
3. Tony Womack. .276 OBP? What good is this guy? Rickey is right, Rickey could do a lot more than Womack.
4. Ruben Sierra. They got lucky last year because Ruben was most likely on the juice. But his mlb days are done. What a joke of a signing.
5. Kevin Brown. Even if he's not injured, he was 39 going into the year and always injury-prone.

It seems like Cashman is not a good GM. He may have TOO much money to build a team. I don't know why no one ever talks about this.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By samk on Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 10:51 am:

Hey the won their division. The rest is just luck right?
;-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By yc2578 on Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 11:30 am:

The last couple of years George's Tampa cronies have been making a lot of the personnel moves. Cashman is only the GM in name right now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By renobill on Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 12:09 pm:

The pickup of Chacon at the trade deadline had a lot to do with the Skanks winning the division.
Whether this was Cashman's doing alone is debatable.

Regardless, in that organization, no one ever seems to be on the same page. They just succeed in spite of this by throwing money at the issues.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sactodavey on Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 12:38 pm:

what is funny is that when you think about it the A's did choke when they lost 4 stright playoff series but they had a small payroll and did not have the $$$ put into the benchect...

now you look at the present yankees 2001-2005 5 yrs the yankees have not won the WS even thought they had the most expensive payroll and most talented, so i consider this choke job by far the worst in the last 20 yrs , the odds were stacked heavy in thier favore to win it all last 5 yrs and they have done nothing, if Torre had not won 4 Ws in the 90's he would have been a gonner, i look to have him fired.

cashman is either puppeted around or not a very bright guy, letting contreras go when this guy showed brillience and needed seasoning was a huuuugg mistake, the Yankees spend no time thinking about moves just they look at the stats of FA and go after the biggest name period without analyizing anything, this is what they did in the 80's and got them nothing and now.

what is nice is that Toronto , clevelnd , the A's theser are teams that are way younger then them and becomming more talented there will not be enough FA to fill the void in the next few yrs in the Yankee demise i beleive a huuuge drop off will sooon take place in NY just a natural cycle where the Jeters get old without the minor guys to come up and replace since their minor league system is a shambles.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By raiderjohn on Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 01:13 pm:

IF the Yanks are smart, they keep Cano and Crosby the starters. If somehow they can unload Johnson, I'd do it, sign Burnett, add a couple guys to the pen.

You'd run Martinez, Cano, jeter, Arod, Matsui, Crosby and Sheffield in the outfield.

The staff would be Pavano, Burnett, Mussina, Wang and Chacon
The pen would be Rivera, Gordon, Small, and free agents.
Bench would be Flaherty, Bellhorn, Lawton

Lineup would be:
Jeter
Cano
Giambi
ARod
Matsui
Sheffield
Posada
Lawton
Crosby

The last few year's spending has really sent the team back a few years. I think if they can add Burnett that would be a good move, as for Jones or Griffey, forget it. Further mediocrity if that happens.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By yc2578 on Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 01:18 pm:

Bubba Crosby is a 5th outfielder at best and was only starting because the Yankees had no one else who could catch the ball in center. He'll be 29 next year so he's not a prospect. They will probably trade for Torii Hunter who the Twins are going to try to unload.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 01:30 pm:

Yeah, I think Georgie Porgie has been taking more of a role in personal decesions.

I think he wanted to sign Sheffield over Vlad.

I mean who knew two big pitching pickups this year would fall apart.

Johnson-remember in 2004, he put up Cy Young type #s but he played on a BAD DBacks team. Did anybody see him slipping this much in just a year's span.

Pavano-this guy looked like the next big thing with the Marlins. He had a huge year last year.

Though who knows, maybe they are the part of the many players who can't play in NYC.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 03:01 pm:

Last year's ALCS was by far the worst choke job in the last 20 years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By finleyshero on Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 03:15 pm:

Bubba Crosby is a butcher. Mickey Rivers could play a better CF at age 56.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rocket on Wednesday, October 12, 2005 - 12:36 pm:

King George got more involved with personnel,
and it has been downhill since.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Thursday, October 13, 2005 - 08:54 am:

One would think he would have learned his lesson from the past but he can't help himself.
He knows how to make money and he loves to win and these two things he is tops at, but he should let his baseball people do their job without his interference. He should just come to the zoo to write checks, cheer for his team and then to Letterman to celebrate and wave from the ticker parade.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Thursday, October 13, 2005 - 10:21 am:

There was a great article in the NY Times yesterday about how George should fire himself.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By washfan on Thursday, October 13, 2005 - 10:51 am:

If Georgie's interference is what keeps the Yankers in turmoil then I say keep on Geroge!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.