Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

Small ball vs. long ball

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: Small ball vs. long ball
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Sunday, October 16, 2005 - 12:27 pm:

Excerpts from an interesting piece in the NY Times:

http://select.nytimes.com/mem/tnt.html?emc=tnt&tntget=2005/10/16/sports/baseball/16score.html&tntemail1=y

Talking About Small Ball, but Winning With a Big Stick
By ALAN SCHWARZ

Joe Torre didn't say much, but he didn't have to. After his Yankees lost Monday night's do-or-die playoff game to the Angels, Torre repeated the oft-cited difference between his team and the one still playing.

"That's the thing about their ball club," he said of the Angels. "Pitches that you may have guys who are trying to hit home runs swing and miss at, they put in play."

Torre, the Yankees and almost all of baseball agree that postseason baseball differs from the regular season: lower-scoring games require more one-run stratagems, more bunts and steals and small ball.

The ESPN announcer Joe Morgan thumps from his pulpit every October, "You can't win in the postseason unless you can manufacture runs."

In looking into whether science confirms faith, numerical evidence becomes a handy divining rod.

... despite all the talk about manufacturing runs, home runs are relatively easier to come by in October, and going deep accounts for a greater portion of total runs than during the regular season.

"There's an assumption people make that low scoring requires small ball," Dave Smith, the founder of Retrosheet, said. "If you know it's going to be 2-1 in the ninth way back in the second inning, that's great, but you don't. The home run is still the one thing that has unquestioned value. People are going to keep going for the fences."

No matter what they say afterward.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By leftfield139 on Sunday, October 16, 2005 - 05:23 pm:

very intresting

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By finleyshero on Monday, October 17, 2005 - 12:34 pm:

I believe the story misquotes Morgan. He thumps from his pulpit every October, "You can't win in the postseason unless you can manafacture runs."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Monday, October 17, 2005 - 04:44 pm:

?? What's the misquote?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Monday, October 17, 2005 - 04:53 pm:

I think the A's should follow what the ChiSox did.

2004, ChiSox hit 240+ hrs but look where it got them. Nowhere.

2005, they hit 200 hrs and bring in the likes of Podsednik, Dye, AJ, Tacuhci, and they bring in pitchers in Conteras and El Duque.

I think the A's tried to outpower their opponents from 2000-2003 when they had 30+ hr talent in Ja.Giambi, Dye, Grieve, Chavez, Tejada, and Stairs.

We gotta play better small ball and I think we're going into that direction.

You look at our lineup.

Ellis
Kotsay
Crosby
Chavez
Payton
DJ
Swisher
Kendall

I think Chavez is the only one capable of hitting 30+ hrs next year.

Kotsay, Crosby, Payton, DJ, Swisher all could hit 20+ hrs but they arent' the mashers that we had in the past. I'd say all of them are better gap/line drive hitters than they are guys who'll look to hit a hr at every AB.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By finleyshero on Monday, October 17, 2005 - 05:06 pm:

Read the quote again. I'm not trying to manafacture anything here...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Monday, October 17, 2005 - 05:36 pm:

maybe he means manofacture as of mano a mano?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By asch on Monday, October 17, 2005 - 05:49 pm:

with the above lineup, I see this as HR potential:

Ellis 5-12
Kotsay 10-15
Crosby 20+ IF healthy
Chavez 30 plus if he's not TOO lazy! :)
Payton 20-25
DJ 15+?
Swisher 15-20
Kendall 1 (you know he'll hit one next year! :)

That's not a ton of mashing, but it could get the job done. We win the west IF Chavey hits 40 and Payton hits 30, mark my words.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Monday, October 17, 2005 - 08:14 pm:

I got it, FH. "manAHfacture" runs, which is exactly how Morgan pronounces it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Monday, October 17, 2005 - 08:41 pm:

Speaking of long ball, did anyone see that humongous home run by Pujols just now? Wow.

Now Izzy really has to step up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Monday, October 17, 2005 - 08:46 pm:

Yeah, Lidge was 1 STRIKE away from winning the NLCS.

Eckstein with a single to left, Edmonds walks, and Pujols lauches a hanging slider and hits it against the facade above that short porch in LF.

WOW!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Monday, October 17, 2005 - 08:54 pm:

And Izzy nailed it down. Good for him!

The Minute Maid Enron Dome was SILENT...

Next it's Mulder's turn.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By colt45allstar on Monday, October 17, 2005 - 08:57 pm:

Wish we had a Pujols...

A man among boys.. being in Missouri, I've seen the guy play from day one.

That was the definition of clutch

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jenmed on Monday, October 17, 2005 - 08:59 pm:

That was insane. Lidge has been shaky his last few games after being pretty lights out all year. As soon as Edmonds walked I thought . . . uh oh.

I'm sort of rooting for the Astros, but I'd like to see Mulder do well on Wednesday. Oh well, the fun continues!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Monday, October 17, 2005 - 09:02 pm:

Lidge was probably the most reliable closer left out of the 4 LCS teams and he blows it with one strike away!

Who knows if Pujols could've been the player he became, but imagine if the A's kept him at their Dominican baseball academy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Monday, October 17, 2005 - 09:28 pm:

Was anybody at the 2001 exhibtion game just before the season when the Cards came to Oakland?

A lot was made because Mac was coming back to Oakland for the first time as did TLR, but for the first time, we A's fans saw Albert Pujols for the first time in that game.

This was before he became a star and anybody knew him and all I heard on the radio here by the A's announcers is that this kind hit the ball real hard everytime he made contact. Ê

Who would've ever knew that he would've become maybe one of the greatest players in our lifetime.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.