Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

Wash

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: Wash
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bruin1946 on Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 01:54 pm:

The Marlins appear to have selected Girardi as their new manager. Tampa Bay still has a long list of candidates but Wash isn't on it. Does this mean we luck out and get this very valuable member of the team back? Sure hope so.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By raiderjohn on Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 01:56 pm:

Have the Dodgers hired?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bruin1946 on Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 02:08 pm:

Not yet.LA will wait until afetr the WS but they asked to interview Terry Pendleton (who declined), Hersheiser, and Valentine. Wash's name has not been mentiooned recently for this opening.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ssblip on Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 05:43 pm:

Man, what a rip. Tampa and Florida looked like the best fits for Wash. Anyone else would be underutilizing him -- LA included. So we get him back (hooray!), but man, this flower's gotta bloom. Starting to feel for the guy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 05:46 pm:

I feel guilty to be rooting for him not to get a job elsewhere...
at least there's hope that if caca gets fired, wash will step in but I won't hold my breath.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By drummer510 on Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 06:13 pm:

yup hopefully he will come back and teach these youngins how to play ball.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jerryo1 on Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 06:41 pm:

That's the reason that I think Wash would be a perfect fit in Tampa Bay. The only thing between hot-shot shortstop BJ Upton and the big leagues is his defense. I think Wash could help remedy that situation. Look what he's done for Chavez.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 09:43 pm:

I think I would feel worse if Wash is overlooked for a manager job than I would be happy to see him stay. He deserves a chance. I just hope there's no prejudice involved. Same old, same old with MLB.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jenmed on Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 10:11 pm:

I agree with Jerry completely. Wash would be perfect for Tampa Bay. Sounds like they're going to be too stupid to hire him, though. Another great decision by the organization.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 11:05 pm:

Does Wash being african american have anything to do with this?

The guy has all the credentials yet he's getting passed by.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By washfan on Thursday, October 20, 2005 - 12:44 am:

"Does Wash being african american have anything to do with this?"

No, I don't think so. I wish Wash were our new Manager and he was at the very least interviewed for the position. I do not know how or where to substanciate it but Bruin1946 claims Terry Pendleton (Who is AfAm) turned down the Dodgers offer to be interviwed. The only reason I don't think Depo has gone after Wash is because it may seem as if he is filching from Billy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By asch on Thursday, October 20, 2005 - 05:23 am:

I said VERY early on that the best fit for Wash would be TB. That team is WAY better than than their record and they have some real studs ON the team and in the minors. I can't imagine a better fit and better fit for a first time manager gig - ie. not in LA or NY or anything like that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By chris_d on Thursday, October 20, 2005 - 09:29 am:

All due respect, I think the question oaktownfan asks is fair.

The one knock on Washington was that he didn't have much managerial experience. So, Girardi gets hired as Marlins manager with zero managerial experience and only one year as a bench coach. In 2003, he was still playing. Washington, in contrast, has 10 years experience coaching in the big leagues (and other years in the minors), is known as being an excellent teacher, and is well-liked and respected by players, peers, fans and media. So, why is he being passed over? It's a fair question.

Again, Girardi spent just one year on Joe Torre's staff. Willie Randolph, by contrast, spent almost a decade on Torre's staff before getting his first managerial job last year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By finleyshero on Thursday, October 20, 2005 - 09:49 am:

Depo is filching Billy?

Can you say that here?

Wouldn't you think their wives would frown on that?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bruin1946 on Thursday, October 20, 2005 - 11:02 am:

Washfan: ESPN.com reported that Pendleton turned down the chance to interview for the Dodgers job because he didn't want to be that far away from his family in Georgia

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By asch on Thursday, October 20, 2005 - 11:06 am:

I saw that too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By washfan on Friday, October 21, 2005 - 12:03 am:

Well maybe if Macha can get himself fired Wash could take over as interim.

Something to note many ex-catchers end up as Field Managers. Giradi I do beleive was a career Catcher. Wash was a career infielder, heck even Mach came up as a Catcher.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By asch on Friday, October 21, 2005 - 04:07 am:

...and we all know how much of a freaking genius Macha is! :)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By washfan on Friday, October 21, 2005 - 12:36 pm:

I guess if the players did not like Crapha there would be a palace revolt....however; look what that got Byrnsie sent too two last placers.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.