Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

Steward: King belongs in 7 Halls of Fame

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: Steward: King belongs in 7 Halls of Fame
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By chris_d on Thursday, October 20, 2005 - 10:13 am:

Another nice column on Bill King:

http://www.insidebayarea.com/sports/ci_3134237

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Thursday, October 20, 2005 - 10:45 am:

It's pathetic that King wasn't even in any of the 3 major HOFs for MLB, NFL, and especially the NBA.

I've been noticing the lack of nationa media exposure of Kings's passing and his great career.

Guess it doesn't help that he broadcasted his entire career in the media punching bag, the city of Oakland.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sactodavey on Thursday, October 20, 2005 - 12:08 pm:

the warriors played at cow palace for yrs and he did broadcast Giant games.

only the east coast reconizes thier own, all the awards and stuff is bullshit anyway prejudice rules!!!!!!!!!!!

he could have been way better then any marv albert and was better but he did not have the tv look with the rip van winkle look which fit his persoanlilty so well.

he was so great with the Raiders and warriors those 2 sports he was suited for the best fast action stuff, he blew guys like Vince scully away.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bfriend on Friday, October 21, 2005 - 03:22 pm:

I was walking down Michigan Ave. in Chicago last night and came across a monument for Jack Brickhouse in front of the WGN Radio studio. In some ways it's kind of creepy - a giant box with a human torso popping out of it - kinda like a giant "Jack-in-the-Box". Anyway it got me thinking that Bill King should have some kind of monument at the Coliseum. Maybe it can be a multimedia one with buttons to active various calls from the A's Raiders & Warriors. I think it belongs there (and not at a new A's Stadium) since this was the epicenter of those three franchises.

I suppose they could make a similar statue as this one but it should be depicted more accurately: Hawaiian shirt. shorts, sandels surrounded by a all sorts of food.

Anyway here are a couple photos of the Jack-in-the-Brick

Text description

Text description

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By finleyshero on Friday, October 21, 2005 - 04:35 pm:

Max Kelleman was on with Tucker Carlson the other night, and I was intrigued to see "King" on their list of upcoming topics. I thought, well, these guys pass themselves off as know-it-alls, could it be?

Of course, I was sadly disappointed. Instead of Bill, they spent several minutes blabbering about dirty old man Larry King and his child bride.

Disgusting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By drummer510 on Friday, October 21, 2005 - 05:02 pm:

Dude there needs to by a Jon Stewart vs. Tucker Carlson rematch. Carlson and his fuckin bowtie can shampoo my (sorry adam had to throw it in there).

Does anyone think that Baun might take over? Its a disgusting thought that just popped in my head.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Friday, October 21, 2005 - 09:37 pm:

Buan in the radio booth, AHHHHH! lol

I guess that leaves an opening for the pre and post game host, maybe Larry Krueger who respects the A's org and had great things to say about the org when he was on KNBR. He was on Lurie's show late in the year so who knows.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bfriend on Saturday, October 22, 2005 - 02:10 pm:

Greg Papa is my hope for replacement. I don't know if he's still under contract with KNBR but he would certainly be a natual choice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Saturday, October 22, 2005 - 08:18 pm:

I could live with Papa, I guess. Better than some unknown guy. However, I doubt the A's would be willing to pay him what he would want, even if he could get out of his deal with the gnats.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ws9 on Saturday, October 22, 2005 - 10:58 pm:

Korach will become the number one guy so whoever they get will be junior to Ken, so I don't anticipate anyone we really know. My guess is that it will be a young guy, like the one the Giants brought in last year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Sunday, October 23, 2005 - 02:02 am:

I don't know, maybe with King's passing, Papa would want to come back to the A's since King was one of his heroes I guess and he could replace him on the A's radio booth.

Papa back, G.Kuiper, Fosse, Korach, and Roye would be a pretty good team of announcers.

I'm listening to FSR and Ben Maller who is the radio host had a great story on King. When King was doing broadcast games in Anaheim, he would routinely take off his pants and do games in his underwear with Maller who was a stat guy for the Angels and others were around. lol

Gave props to King on the radio and said he was a great guy and announcer and will be missed.

JT and now Maller are the only guys on national media outlets whther that be tv or radio that has given respect to the news of King's passing earlier this week.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.