Help
Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

Thank you Bob Ryan!

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: Thank you Bob Ryan!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By asch on Sunday, October 23, 2005 - 07:31 am:

bob ryan did his ending piece on the sports reporters today, on Bill King. It was a nice little piece where he heralded King as a great broadcaster and one of a kind character.

This is, to my knowledge, the FIRST time ESPN tv has even mentioned King's passing, sans the ticker.

Thank You Bob Ryan, for stepping up.

If someone can please tell me if there has been ANY other ESPN mention on tv re: bill's death. If not, I think it's all time we start pummeling their email account and tell them how disgusting it is that they have not done a piece on SC or anything, in regards to Bill - who many believe is one of the best broadcasters of all time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Sunday, October 23, 2005 - 08:24 am:

I know JT The Brick and Ben Maller on Fox Sports Radio have honored Bill King.

That's about it and now the included Bob Ryan.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By asch on Sunday, October 23, 2005 - 08:50 am:

I read about the others, but nothing on tv, this is the first tv mention I have seen.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Sunday, October 23, 2005 - 09:11 am:

Yeah, it's really sad to see King not mentioned in anyway in a highlight package.

King was one of the best announcers of all time and you'd think the so called "sports tv station" in the world would've mentioned him who's calls are routinely heard during highlight packages in the past.

Another mockery that he isn't even in any of the HOFs.

Again, early last week, it was a slow sports day(s) and nothing was really happening and to not see any mention of King's passing was truely unforgiveable.

East coast bias or Oakland bias? I think so, if any highly thought of announcers for a team east of the Miss. had died, then you would of heard it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By asch on Sunday, October 23, 2005 - 09:17 am:

agreed. I can understand not having time to put a nice package together day of king's passing. But it's been 5 or 6 days now and to not have anything on him is just pathetic. I believe Chick Hearn had a package on him - and king is widely known as the best basketball announcer of all time - why nothing? a 3 sport man and NO mention on tv - it sickens me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Sunday, October 23, 2005 - 09:41 am:

Yeah, it's really sad to see King not mentioned in anyway in a highlight package.

King was one of the best announcers of all time and you'd think the so called "sports tv station" in the world would've mentioned him who's calls are routinely heard during highlight packages in the past.

Another mockery that he isn't even in any of the HOFs.

Again, early last week, it was a slow sports day(s) and nothing was really happening and to not see any mention of King's passing was truely unforgiveable.

East coast bias or Oakland bias? I think so, if any highly thought of announcers for a team east of the Miss. had died, then you would of heard it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Sunday, October 23, 2005 - 09:44 am:

Sorry for the double post.

I know those in the broadcasting business knew and respected King immensly.

I hope the A's honor King in some way. They should retire him name and put it somewhere it could be seen.

Hell, all 3 Oakland teams should honor King in some way. The A's and Raiders can have a sign in honor of King somwhwere on the coliseum grounds and the W's have a ring of honor in the arena and should put King's name up there too.

If the national media isn't going to honor King, then the city of Oakland and their sports teams should do ten fold.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bfriend on Sunday, October 23, 2005 - 03:26 pm:

I heard the in stadium tribute to Bill King at the Raider game today on the Radio. KSFO played the entire 4-5 minute tribute which highlighted his importance in the Raiders family. It sounded like Greg Papa narrated the tribute interspersed with Raider calls by King.

It was on a few minutes before 1pm so I doubt it was picked up nationally on TV (it's blacked out here).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Sunday, October 23, 2005 - 08:13 pm:

As great as Bill was with the Warriors, unfortunately he was with THE WARRIORS -- not exactly a team that made a lot of national news, except in 1975.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Sunday, October 23, 2005 - 08:19 pm:

One more tribute, from today's CC Times:

http://www.contracostatimes.com/mld/cctimes/email/sports/12977531.htm

Fanfare

By Mike Lefkow
CONTRA COSTA TIMES

Two Cents' Worth

With the passing of Bill King on Tuesday, the baseball season next year just won't be the same.

For over 40 years, Bill was the voice of the East Bay. True, he had short stints with the Giants and the San Francisco Seals of the Western Hockey League, but mostly he was ours -- more than 20 years apiece with the Warriors, Raiders and A's, and a brief stint doing Cal football and basketball before moving to the pros.

What thrills he provided. Whether it was raging at NBA referee Joe Gushue, excitedly describing an NFL official ordering Raiders coach John Madden to get his "big butt" off the field after the "Holy Roller," or bringing us the day-by-day drama of the A's 20-game win streak three years ago, no one ever fell asleep with Bill on the radio.

I call him by his first name because I covered the A's for seven years (1992-98) and had the privilege of knowing the man. He was a character, all right, but he never big-timed anyone and didn't have a mean bone in that wiry body.

Those who were around a team whose games Bill was broadcasting are bound to have a story to tell. Whether it was his eating butter -- yup, just plain butter -- or skewering the architecture of the Minneapolis skyline, he was a piece of work.

It was often most entertaining to be around Bill when the A's were headed to a domed stadium or beginning interleague play. He despised indoor stadiums -- the old Kingdome in Seattle was right at the top of the list -- but even those were less offensive than interleague play. He'd fuss and fume before interleague games and during them. He thought the only time a team from the National League should enter an American League park was during the World Series.

Hearing of his death on Tuesday was a shock, but how much he'll be missed won't sink in until next season.

The voice that many of us grew up with -- and that many of us were still listening to -- will be missing from our living rooms, our car radios, our offices.

But nowhere will the loss be more acute than in the A's radio booth. Imagine being Ken Korach and Ray Fosse going in there without him, knowing this time he won't be joining them in a day or two, munching away on popcorn. Undoubtedly, they will shed a tear or two, as we all will.

Bill would have been in "high dudgeon" these past few days, as we remembered him while lifting a stick of butter in his honor. He hated being talked about.

But the Bay Area, and the East Bay especially, needed to express its grief. Generations of Warriors, Raiders and A's fans had lost a friend. A friend who will be fondly recalled long after the conversation subsides.

Mike Lefkow is the Times deputy sports editor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Monday, October 24, 2005 - 07:52 am:

Has anybody read or heard a statement made by Fosse? I haven't.

Fosse has spent the most time with King in the booth and with the A's in tenure as I remember listening to Fosse back in the bash brother days with Monte Moore so he probably was with him for more than 20+ years.

Would love to hear what Fosse has to say, though I'm thinking he's still in shock that his good friend and parter is gone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By asch on Monday, October 24, 2005 - 07:55 am:

I assume the same thing - that he's still in shock.
Though it's wierd we haven't heard anything.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Monday, October 24, 2005 - 11:39 am:

I'm sure Ray is devastated.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.