Help
Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

Let the offseason games begin: Witasick re-signs

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: Let the offseason games begin: Witasick re-signs
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By asch on Monday, October 31, 2005 - 10:45 am:

I read somewhere else that Witasick re-signed and it's somewhere in the SF chronicle. I don't have a link, if someone can post any evidence of this, please post on. 2 years and an option, apparently.

IF this is the case, depending on dough, I think this is a good move, solidfying the bullpen with what could be a season with even younger Starting pitching (if zito is traded).

Jay's had 5 out of his last 7, pretty good seasons....I am fine with this. Thoughts?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Monday, October 31, 2005 - 11:48 am:

If Witasick re-signed, it hasn't hit the transaction listings on either espn.com or mlb.com.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By asch on Monday, October 31, 2005 - 12:08 pm:

maybe it was a hoax?
I read the blurb was buried in the baseball notes section of the chronicle...can anyone confirm?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Monday, October 31, 2005 - 01:44 pm:

Adam, maybe this is what you're thinking of.

"http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2005/10/28/SPGTMFFHIA1.DTL&hw=Jay+Witasick&sn=001&sc=1000"

"The A's are exploring new deals for two other relievers who are eligible for free agency, left-hander Ricardo Rincon and right-hander Jay Witasick."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By asch on Monday, October 31, 2005 - 02:33 pm:

I had read that before. Someone must have posted bad info....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By yc2578 on Monday, October 31, 2005 - 04:00 pm:

Ewww I hope they aren't planning on bringing Rincon back unless its on a minor league deal, just to be there for insurance in case Flores can't get the job done. I'm sure they can find a more effective LOOGY out there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Monday, October 31, 2005 - 04:11 pm:

I'd like to sign Witasick, the guy throws heat and he was a K machine when he was with the A's. He had a handful of bad outings, but was pretty good for the A's the last two months of the season really.

27.2 IP, 26 hits, 10 ERs, 17 BBs, 33 Ks, and 3.25 ERA.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By okplayer on Monday, October 31, 2005 - 09:06 pm:

i'd give flores a shot over rincon. save some cash.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Monday, October 31, 2005 - 10:26 pm:

Well, I can't find the story online, but the Chron today had this little tidbit on Witasick:

"Witasick staying with A's: The A's are expected to announce in the next few days they have re-signed free agent reliever Jay Witasick to a two-year deal with a club option."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sactodavey on Monday, October 31, 2005 - 11:44 pm:

oh god Watsick was just that sick the last 4 weeks or so , i like resigning dotel as the set up guy, god to me this would be a huuge 1-2 punch, but here we go again puttin shit out there in the set up role.

watsick will be off the club by aug 1, seems the only guys we sign are guys who command nothing because they are nothing relief guys.

"meet the new boss (Wolff) same as the old boss (shott) "

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Tuesday, November 01, 2005 - 01:37 am:

I think the bullpen is pretty set.

Closer-Street.
RH RP-Duke, Witasick, Calero
LH RP-Flores and Kennedy(if he doesn't go in the rotation).

Maybe Garcia comes up and becomes another 7th inning man but I do like the makings of that bullpen especially with Duke, Calero, and Witasick setting it up for Street in the 9th.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jerryo1 on Tuesday, November 01, 2005 - 04:28 pm:

Now it's official. Must have been a premonition Adam.

For Immediate Release
November 1, 2005

As Agree To Terms With Jay Witasick On Contract

Contract Is For Two Years With A Club Option For 2008

OAKLAND, Calif. - The Oakland As today announced that they have agreed to terms with right-handed pitcher Jay Witasick on a two-year contract through 2007 with a club option for 2008.

Witasick was acquired by the As from Colorado at the All-Star Break along with Joe Kennedy in exchange for Eric Byrnes and minor leaguer Omar Quintanilla. He appeared in 28 games with the As, all in relief, and was 1-1 with a save, two blown saves and a 3.25 ERA after going 0-4 with a blown save and a 2.52 ERA in 32 relief appearances with the Rockies. The 33-year old right-hander combined to go 1-5 with a 2.84 ERA in 60 games overall. He struck out 73 batters in 63.1 innings, an average of 10.37 per nine innings, and allowed a .223 opponents batting average, which was the lowest of his career.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By asch on Tuesday, November 01, 2005 - 04:53 pm:

and there it is....

good move, would like to see the money on this one.
I like having a high K guy go at the late innings with Street and Calero.

I like this.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By yc2578 on Tuesday, November 01, 2005 - 05:53 pm:

I'd like to see the money first. He made $1.75 million last year so figure it is probably around $2 million/year. Don't like giving veteran middle relievers more than one-year deals since they are so hard to project.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By okplayer on Tuesday, November 01, 2005 - 06:12 pm:

yc, i love to give you a hard time but you're right. I was uncomfortable with Witasick down the stretch. Calero and Duke are solid righties, might like to have seen Garcia given a shot. $2 mil ain't much but would like to see it go for a stick. Of course, the "big stick" may not happen anyway...in fact, I don't even care any more about a big stick b/c I'm afraid of what the a's would need to give up for one (b/c they ain't shelling out $8-10mil on a FA stick).

Barton or Ethier should be given a shot in ST to make the big club.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By asch on Tuesday, November 01, 2005 - 06:20 pm:

2mill a year for a fairly solid reliever w/ good k rate isn't bad in this day and age.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Tuesday, November 01, 2005 - 08:37 pm:

Witasick was pretty good the last two months.

Aug:9.1 IP, 8 hits, 4 ERs, 4 BBs, 11 Ks, 3.86 ERA, .211 BA against.

Sep:11.2 IP, 14 hits, 4 ERs, 9 BBs, 13 Ks, 3.09 ERA, .295 BA against.

Though the one thing that makes you worry is the 22 runners allowed in those 11.2 IP and allowing .298 BA against in September.

Still as the 3rd RP behind both Calero and Duke with Street as the closer, he still probably would be one of the best 6th/7th innings guys in most bullpens.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By yc2578 on Tuesday, November 01, 2005 - 08:49 pm:

You can't read much at all into monthly sample sizes of relievers. Even a full season doesn't always give you a good gague of how good they are because they throw so few innings.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By asch on Tuesday, November 01, 2005 - 08:54 pm:

2.75 mill for 2 years! That's a GREAT deal. The option is 2mill, but I doubt we have him then. But that 2 years is very very good. Great job BB.
-----------------------------------------------------

from rotoworld:

Jay Witasick - R - Athletics

Jay Witasick's two-year contract with the A's is worth $2.75 million and contains a $2 million option for 2008.
The buyout is worth $250,000. Considering the salary, there's nothing wrong with this signing. While he 33-year-old Witasick has been inconsistent for most of his career, he's always featured good stuff and a strong strikeout rate. He'll probably only be an asset one of the two years, but that's really all the A's are paying for. Nov. 1 - 10:20 pm et

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Tuesday, November 01, 2005 - 09:27 pm:

Well, Witasick can throw heat which we still don't really have cause Street, Calero and Duke aren't gonna blow you away with 95+ MPH fastballs even though I think all could reach that level of heat but not as consistant as Witasick could.

I like the signing, I'd like to give Garcia a shot to but he's as raw as you could get.

I don't know what will happen with Cruz, you can't put him in the minors cause he dominated AAA so much you can't destory his morale but doing it again next year.

So unless the A's find a spot for him in the starting 5 which I doubt unless they trade somebody like a Zito which I hope they don't. But the bullpen seems pretty set.

RH RP-Street, Calero, Duke, Witasick and maybe Garcia.
LH RP-Flores and Kennedy.

Maybe Cruz will be dealt in getting the A's that bat?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By yc2578 on Tuesday, November 01, 2005 - 09:29 pm:

Okay, good deal then with the money. Still don't like more than one guaranteed year but it's relatively low risk with the salary.

It's pretty much a given whether it's Cruz, Kennedy, Zito, or heck even Saarloos, a starting pitcher will be traded this offseason.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By asch on Wednesday, November 02, 2005 - 04:52 am:

think about it this way.
Would you rather have Yabu at 1mill or witasick at about 1.35 mill/ year for 2 years?

This is really low risk. If he pitches well and we have some young guns ready, we can easily trade him away with his contract so low (and the extra option).

This was a great move. And, again if he implodes (god forbid) the contract is cheap - and I am sure he'll still be good from some k's when needed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By cool_hand on Wednesday, November 02, 2005 - 08:26 am:

We sign Witasick, while Anaheim is working to acquire Manny Ramirez. If people thought Ortiz/Manny was deadly, imagine Vlad/Manny. Geesh. The rich get richer. And for what its worth, the Sox wont look too bad with Glaus and Erstad on the corners.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By asch on Wednesday, November 02, 2005 - 08:35 am:

We can only take care of ourselves, that's the way it's alway been. We have to make the under the radar moves to make things happen.

Hey, Anaheim had a pretty good offense last year and they barely beat us out. Boston has Manny/Ortiz and how much further ahead were they than us last year?

All we can do is bolster that bullpen, hope that the SP does as well as last year, and if possible, get a bat.

With no bat, we still have a pretty good team cause we basically have last year's team - which, if you take away that horrible beginning of the year, we may have won our division by 5 games? 10 games?? Who knows? 1 game? Either way, the team was good and there was some adversity to overcome - and also new faces and transitions. We aren't going to get Manny so we don't need to worry about it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Wednesday, November 02, 2005 - 10:29 am:

Could the Angels get both Manny AND Konerko? Supposedly Konerko is interested in Anaheim.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sactodavey on Wednesday, November 02, 2005 - 10:45 am:

THE new New York Yankees of the West meet the LA Angles.

man if they get Manny we will only have wildcard to fight for.

we gotta get a big time FA like Konerko.

Pray the Mets make the red sox a deal they can't refuse.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By asch on Wednesday, November 02, 2005 - 11:49 am:

It's not gonna happen sacto, though we'd all like this big bat, it ain't gonna happen.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Wednesday, November 02, 2005 - 04:21 pm:

If LAA is gonna get a big bat like a Manny or Konerko, the A's are gonna NEED to add a big bat of their own, a legit bat. Not a has been like Thomas or even Piazza. Still am on the Sweeney bandwagon.

He's the only high avg and high power guy out in the market that the A's could even remotely afford IMO even though he has a salary in the 10-12 million range.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ssblip on Wednesday, November 02, 2005 - 04:23 pm:

What about Zito for Manny, with Boston paying $5 mil/year on the remainder of Manny's contract?

I like that.

But I'm on the internet. Shrug.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Wednesday, November 02, 2005 - 05:13 pm:

Even though I would HATE to lose Zito, if we could get Manny, it would be worth it.

On the other hand, Manny comes with some baggage.

Thoughts?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By yc2578 on Wednesday, November 02, 2005 - 05:40 pm:

Not even a thought. It can't happen. Even if you knock off $5 million/year (if that were an option) you still owe $42 million over the next three years. You would have to trade Zito and Chavez to pull off such a deal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By threepeat on Wednesday, November 02, 2005 - 09:46 pm:

Now that's a thought.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By okplayer on Wednesday, November 02, 2005 - 10:40 pm:

lol

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Thursday, November 03, 2005 - 02:27 am:

I remember a few years ago when FOX showed a clip on Manny as a young teenager wearing an A's cap. lol

Doubt he'd come here and why would the A's and BoSox trade with one another cause most likely they'll be fighting for maybe the AL WC next year,

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By cool_hand on Thursday, November 03, 2005 - 07:39 am:

Because Manny says he will not report to spring training if he is not traded and he has a no trade clause, so there are only a few teams that the Sox can work with. Anaheim is number one on Manny's list. He likes Anaheim becuase he likes the malls. Im not joking.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By asch on Thursday, November 03, 2005 - 08:56 am:

that's hilarious.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By finleyshero on Thursday, November 03, 2005 - 10:13 am:

That would be a funny quote if he said it, and Manny may indeed like malls, but what he actually said was he liked Anaheim because nobody bothered him at the mall...

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2005/10/31/epstein_red_sox_agree_on_a_three_year_contract/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ssblip on Thursday, November 03, 2005 - 10:23 am:

Hmm, so we paid Dye $12 mil/year and a guy like Manny wouldn't be worth $14 mil? The monetary difference is incremental, but the difference in value is huge.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Thursday, November 03, 2005 - 11:58 am:

This is still a funny quote:

"Ramirez, during an August visit to play the Angels, confided in a veteran teammate how much he liked Anaheim. Ramirez remarked that no one bothered him during a visit to a local mall. The teammate explained the lack of fan pestering by telling Ramirez that if he played in Southern California he might be making $20 million a year, but his next-door neighbor would be making $25 million."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By okplayer on Thursday, November 03, 2005 - 01:02 pm:

ss, agreed but the a's payroll with Dye (in 2002-2004) was probably less than it would be to add $14 mil to our existing payroll. I don't have the figs in front of me but wouldn't adding manny bump the a's payroll to $70mil...and that factors in dealing Zito for him. If a stadium deal doesn't get approved I don't see that happening.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.