Help
Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

Public Memorial for Bill King?

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: Public Memorial for Bill King?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jenmed on Tuesday, November 01, 2005 - 11:31 am:

KTVU had a crawl on the morning news show saying there is a public memorial for Bill King at the Coliseum today. I haven't heard a thing about it. Anyone??? Don't know if it is typical KTVU inaccuracy, or if the A's have really dropped the ball on publicizing. I'd appreciate any info out there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By asch on Tuesday, November 01, 2005 - 11:59 am:

I have been doing a ton of bill king searching on the internet and have not seen ONE thing about that, that would be pretty bad if they had a public memorial and DIDN'T let anyone know about it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Tuesday, November 01, 2005 - 01:29 pm:

Listening to KNBR right now and Rick Barry is at the service for King.

Don't know where it's being held.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jenmed on Tuesday, November 01, 2005 - 04:25 pm:

This is total crap. Why was this not publicized by the A's?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By asch on Tuesday, November 01, 2005 - 04:55 pm:

that's poor form

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Tuesday, November 01, 2005 - 08:31 pm:

Saw the service was held at the arena with many past Warriors, A's, Raiders officials attending the service.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Tuesday, November 01, 2005 - 10:00 pm:

I guess it all depends the definition of "public". Sounds like it was by invitation only.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jerryo1 on Tuesday, November 01, 2005 - 10:18 pm:

I heard on KNBR that it was a private memorial for Bill King.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By asch on Wednesday, November 02, 2005 - 04:48 am:

okay, then that makes a bit more sense.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Wednesday, November 02, 2005 - 10:27 am:

Here's the story:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/chronicle/archive/2005/11/02/SPG3NFHGNT1.DTL

Still no mention of Fosse.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By samk on Wednesday, November 02, 2005 - 11:54 am:

According to the CoCo Times, Fosse was there.

http://www.contracostatimes.com/mld/cctimes/sports/baseball/mlb/oakland_athletics/13059138.htm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By asch on Wednesday, November 02, 2005 - 11:57 am:

ray has STILL not made any comments in the paper....I am curious as to why.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Wednesday, November 02, 2005 - 01:25 pm:

Some things about Bill I didn't know before:

http://www.insidebayarea.com/sports/ci_3174552

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By buzz on Wednesday, November 02, 2005 - 02:33 pm:

I never knew Bill King had a son, and I probably listened to 5,000 of his broadcasts between the Warriors, Raiders, and A's. He was such a private man, I know it surprised many people that he was even married. I recall last year that after taking off a few days for the passing of his wife Nancy, he briefly thanked his listeners for their letters of support during that hard time. That was the only moment in 30 years of listening to his broadcasts that I heard him mention his family.

I have to agree with Dave Newhouse -- he was great at baseball, epic on football, but his basketball broadcasts were masterpieces. I'm so sorry for his fans in the Bay Area that were either too young to remember or too late to the scene and missed Bill King's years with the Warriors. In those days, televised Warriors broadcasts were few and far between -- just a handful per year -- so his radio work was our lifeline to the team. He was simply without peer in this sport. The closest thing I can compare it to would be Vin Scully in his prime on a radio baseball broadcast. To paraphrase the famous George Sisler line about his contemporary, Ty Cobb: To know Bill King's true greatness as an announcer you had to hear him call a basketball game, and to hear him to do it -- if only once -- was to remember him forever.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By asch on Wednesday, November 02, 2005 - 03:27 pm:

Am I to believe from reading the article that Bill "left" his family - meaning - deserted them? Since the grandson said there were no hard feelings - I seem to get that strange vibe.

Anyone care to speculate? Or know more?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Wednesday, November 02, 2005 - 04:09 pm:

I agree about the vibe. Unless the family decides to reveal more, I doubt we'll ever know the details.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Thursday, November 03, 2005 - 01:59 am:

Too bad the national media never gave King's passing any mention although they went hog wild about Merrington's, NYG owner's death, guess that's that northeast bias eh?

I mean if King had 1/10 of the coverage the NYG owner had last week, I'd be happy with that.

Good to see that all bay area media was there to remember the great King.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Thursday, November 03, 2005 - 11:53 am:

BK's death was mentioned on the Raiders telecast on Sunday. They showed a picture of him and played a call or two.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.