Guidelines
    Help
Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

Chavey wins 5th straight gold glove!!!!!

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: Chavey wins 5th straight gold glove!!!!!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By givedaddy5 on Tuesday, November 01, 2005 - 03:49 pm:

Suzuki, Hunter, Chavez lead AL Gold Glove Winners

NEW YORK -- Seattle outfielder Ichiro Suzuki, Minnesota outfielder Torii Hunter and Oakland third baseman Eric Chavez won their fifth straight Gold Gloves on Tuesday.

Boston catcher Jason Varitek, Texas first baseman Mark Teixeira and Toronto second baseman Orlando Hudson were first-time winners, while New York Yankees shortstop Derek Jeter and Toronto outfielder Vernon Wells won for the second straight season.

Texas pitcher Kenny Rogers won for the fourth time overall and second in a row.

Hudson was surprised he beat out Baltimore's Brian Roberts.

"I would have bet anything that he was going to win," Hudson said. "This has always been a goal of mine, so I've accomplished one of my goals already."

Chavez, Suzuki and Varitek each earned $100,000 bonuses, while Rogers and Wells earned $50,000 apiece and Hunter $25,000.

Gold Gloves, presented since 1957 by St. Louis-based Rawlings, are voted on by managers and coaches before the end of the regular season. They may not select players on their own teams, and they vote only for players in their own league.

NL Gold Glove winners will be announced Wednesday.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Tuesday, November 01, 2005 - 04:03 pm:

Rightfully so. Was a little scaed wtih ARod being a 3B but I think those who knew, knew Chavez is one of the best pure 3B in MLB.

A damn shame a 3B with 5 straight gold gloves and has average about 30 hrs and 100 RBIs the past 3-4 years STILL hasn't made an all star team yet!

Come on Chavez, get on to a fast start next year and get your first all star appearance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By yc2578 on Tuesday, November 01, 2005 - 04:03 pm:

Jason Varitek winning a gold glove is just hilarious, and the usual horrible Derek Jeter selection. Hunter is also a bad choice considering he missed so much time. I know everyone will be upset Ellis didn't win but really it's a toss up between him and Orlando Hudson.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jenmed on Tuesday, November 01, 2005 - 04:31 pm:

I'm bummed Ellis didn't win, but Hudson is excellent as well. It's tough with Ellis because of splitting time.

I'm also sorry that Kotsay has still not been recognized. He's not as flashy as Ichiro and Hunter, but he's a terrific defender.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By asch on Tuesday, November 01, 2005 - 04:46 pm:

unfortunately, kotsay will NEVER win a GG with those guys there.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.