Help
Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

The New Hitting Coach is...

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: The New Hitting Coach is...
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jerryo1 on Tuesday, November 01, 2005 - 04:38 pm:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: November 1, 2005

Oakland Athletics Name Gerald Perry Hitting Coach
13-Year Major League Veteran Previously Served as Hitting Coach in Pittsburgh and Seattle
OAKLAND, Calif. – The Oakland Athletics announced today the club has agreed to terms with Gerald Perry on a one-year contract to serve as the club’s Major League hitting coach for the 2006 season.
In addition, the Athletics announced the remainder of the Major League coaching staff—Brad Fischer, Bob Geren, Rene Lachemann, Ron Washington and Curt Young—will return for the 2006 season. Washington, Geren and Young agreed to terms on two-year contracts through the 2007 season, while Lachemann and Fischer agreed to terms on one-year deals for the 2006 campaign. Geren will assume the duties of bench coach, Lachemann will take over the first base coaching duties and Fischer will be assigned as the bullpen coach.
Perry, 45, served as the hitting coach for the Pittsburgh Pirates for the last three seasons after serving in the same capacity with the Seattle Mariners (2000-02). In his first season as the Pirates hitting coach, the team batting average improved 23 points from .244 to .267, which was the third best team mark in the National League in 2003. During his three-year stay in Seattle, the Mariners led the Major Leagues in on-base percentage (.357) and walks (2,018) and topped the American League in batting (.278), runs (2,648) and ranked third in batting average with runners in scoring position (.285) and were second in hits (4,649).
Originally selected by Atlanta in the 11th round of the 1978 June Draft, Perry compiled a .265 career batting average to go along with 59 home runs and 396 RBI in his 13-year Major League career (1,193 games) which included stops in Atlanta (1983-89), Kansas City (1990) and St Louis (1991-95). In 1987, Perry set an Atlanta record with 42 stolen bases, which were the most by a Major League first baseman since Rod Carew stole 49 with the Minnesota Twins in 1976. The following season, he led all Major League first basemen with a .300 batting average, 164 hits and 29 stolen bases and was elected to the National League All-Star Team. In 1993, he was voted the top pinch-hitter in the NL by league managers when he finished the season with a Major League-high 24 pinch hits in 70 at-bats (.343), including three home runs. He still ranks as St. Louis’ all-time career pinch-hit leader (70). Following his playing career, he spent three seasons in the Boston Red Sox organization where he served as the hitting coach with Single-A Michigan (1997), Triple-A Pawtucket (1998) and as the Red Sox minor league hitting coordinator (1999).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By asch on Tuesday, November 01, 2005 - 04:44 pm:

wtf?

i guess that means hattey isn't retiring.

in addition, geren at bench coach means now he will DEFINITELY be the next manager here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevink on Tuesday, November 01, 2005 - 04:46 pm:

Wash is back!!!

COOL!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By asch on Tuesday, November 01, 2005 - 04:59 pm:

I just talked to my friend who's a big pirates fan. I asked if he could give me one good reason why the a's did this and he said that he could give me a million reasons whey they shouldn't have.

More importantly, he reminded me that this was the f*cking turd who sucker punched Dave Duncun during batting practice in St. louis this past year. Did anyone see it? I knew it happened but didn't realize it was perry. It was one of the most disgusting things I have seen in a long time -worse than the kenny rogers thing by far, cause he totally just JACKED duncan in the face.

Does anyone remember this?

This has to be one of the most puzzling moves I have seen the a's make in a long time. They take a guy who assaulted someone. This guy, from what I can tell too, has NO accolades as a coach. Why not promote someone from within - someone who is with our philosophy?

puzzled in cincy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jerryo1 on Tuesday, November 01, 2005 - 05:06 pm:

Don't ask that question Adam. You're going to force someone to say that "Kendall could actually hit in Pittsburgh with Perry as his coach", and we all know what that will do to your blood presure. :)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Tuesday, November 01, 2005 - 10:08 pm:

From the "official" article on the A's website:

A's catcher Jason Kendall heartily endorsed the hiring of Perry, who was the hitting coach in Pittsburgh during Kendall's last two years with the Pirates (2003-04).

"I think it's a great move," Kendall said. "For one thing, [Perry is] a former player and he's got a great track record as a big-league hitting coach, and he's just a really smart baseball guy. He's a workaholic who treats everyone the same, from the rookie tying to make it to the more established guys."

Kendall seems to have an unusual amount of pull on this team.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By asch on Wednesday, November 02, 2005 - 04:50 am:

Thanks for looking out jerry....
:)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By asch on Wednesday, November 02, 2005 - 06:30 am:

Well, I can hope that maybe kendall's drop off was in part due to a different hitting coach? I doubt it. But if this guy can help Kendall get to his .300 - .330 BA, I'll be happy.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.