Help
Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

Ellis trade rumor???

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: Ellis trade rumor???
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Thursday, December 01, 2005 - 04:51 pm:

Someone who is usually pretty knowledgeable about baseball just told me there are rumors of trading Mark Ellis. Anyone here heard anything?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By yc2578 on Thursday, December 01, 2005 - 06:00 pm:

Not seen a word on that. One thing about Ellis is I would be very surprised he if he duplicated his offensive production from last year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By asch on Thursday, December 01, 2005 - 06:07 pm:

absolutely YC. Ellis' stock is at an extremely high point right now. In fact I don't think he can exceed his value right now and I also don't think he can match last year.

So if you are talking about dealing players while their value is at an all time high, trading Ellis makes sense.

I realized last year after the mulder/huddy deals - frankly: I just don't give a f*ck. Whatever this team needs to do to:
1. win a WS
2. be competetive EVERY year

then I am fine with it.

If that means trading Chavey and Zito - then do it.

If they want to trade Ellis, go for it, as long as we get a 2b back, then I am fine with. I love Scutaro, but I don't think he's a starting full time 2b. I DO think he COULD be a starting full time 2b, I just would rather have somone else (Marcus Giles please) to man that full time gig.

Could it be that we are maybe trying to work on Giles? What's the rumor EY?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rayfossefan on Thursday, December 01, 2005 - 06:39 pm:

personally i think beane would like to see what this team we have right now can do in a full season. personally, i think we are one of the stronger teams in the AL - the skanks are another year older, the angels aren't as solid as they think, and the white sox probably aren't all going to have career years again. the twinkies are ok but the indians are probably the best team in the AL right now. and boston is going to have to reload a bit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bfriend on Thursday, December 01, 2005 - 06:57 pm:

With the few mentions of Garciaparra in some posts and articles I've been wondering how he would fit in. He's too young and valuable as a fielder to just be a DH. Who knows, maybe he or Crosby could convert to 2nd.

Of course Nomars salary would probably be too much for the A's wallet but then that's what great about the off season - plenty of free time to come up with improbable deals.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By asch on Thursday, December 01, 2005 - 06:59 pm:

funny you say Nomar - we have so many rumors floating, we could go a million different ways - or just stand pat. Who knows?

Nomar at 2b? Sure, why not?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Thursday, December 01, 2005 - 09:04 pm:

Wow I don't know.

Ellis could have just had a "career year" but maybe he's finally developing into a quality major league hitter. He is 28 years old which is when most players hit their primeÊand he was the A's best hitter down the stretch IMO.

.316, 13 hr, 52 RBIs, .861 OPS in 434 ABs.

It's not like it's unusual to see these contact type middle IFs develop as hitters later on in their career. Just look at the O's Roberts last year who was like Ellis a average offensive 2B for most of his career but had a huge offensive year in 2005.

Isn't Cliff Pennington being groomed as the 2B of the future for the A's. I don't know how well he did last season in the minors but if he's ready to be a full time 2B for the A's in 2007, then I could see the A's trading Ellis cause his stock is as high as you could get but I don't know what you could get for him really.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sactodavey on Thursday, December 01, 2005 - 09:28 pm:

Ellis is the key to getting a big bat good 2nd baseman are hard to find then we sign Zito and Garciapara who is a reclamation project(remember Beane loves to sign guys like this) on the cheap like 2 yrs deal then in 3 yrs pennington is ready yet we keep Zito to have a great staff and garciapara CAN BAT 3RD this gives us so much more in the linupe if he is healthy.

the gamble is not great with pennington ready in 2 yrs topps.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Thursday, December 01, 2005 - 11:59 pm:

Where would you put Nomar?

You can't move Crosby to a different spot for Nomar who probably isn't as good of a defensive SS as Crosby is. 2B? Has he even played 2B in real games? Ellis is one of the better defensive 2B too and you wanna replace him with Nomar who himself in his prime wasn't that good of a defensive SS. If Nomar can be produce the types of numbers last year when he was healthy for a 150-154 game season, then yeah, you might wanna take his bat instead of Ellis' and live with the adventures at 2B if Nomar goes there to play on this team.

-.283, 9 hrs, 30 RBIs. .772 OPS in 290 ABs in 2005.

I don't know, I'd rather take a shot at F.Thomas. My god, his HR/AB ratio is out of this world and if he can stay healthy as a DH for 500 ABs, he'll be as dangerous of a bat as you could get in any trade or FA signing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By washfan on Friday, December 02, 2005 - 12:02 pm:

Getting rid of Ellis is absdurd, he is the most intelligent player on the field with the exception of Kendall. Guys like that bring intangibles that win you games. To replace him with Nomar for GOD's sake! At best Nomar should be the DH back up SS/2B, I'm sure Wash could prepare him for spot 2B duty when Ellis needs a rest.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By renobill on Friday, December 02, 2005 - 04:45 pm:

I'm a huge Ellis fan and think he has begun an upswing in production beginning with this past season and I don't want to see him go.

The only circumstance for which I can see him being traded is if we were to do a Zito/Ellis for Floyd/Utley/someone else deal with Philly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By scattymatty22 on Friday, December 02, 2005 - 07:08 pm:

Damn this would be like the stupidest thing ever. He's like the only right handed bat we had last year. I thought that was one of the things that we were looking for, losing ellis would only leave a huge hole at 2nd base and at the top of our lineup, with a complete year next year, he could be a .300 plus hitter with like 15 home runs. He was to good last year for us to "Package" him up in some deal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By yc2578 on Friday, December 02, 2005 - 09:04 pm:

After some searching I don't see one media outlet reporting an Ellis trade rumor. This is why I hate speculating on rumors as there is just no point in getting worked up on something that probably isn't going to happen.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By okplayer on Friday, December 02, 2005 - 11:20 pm:

yeah yc, i can't ever recall anybody accurately predicting anything. I mean, the fact that zito could get dealt is an obvious and fair assumption, but some of this stuff is total roto-world.

of course, it's all in fun anyway.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Saturday, December 03, 2005 - 01:18 am:

Who knows, maybe Ellis had his breakout season last year like Ramon did in 2003 before we traded him for Kotsay which worked out for both teams. His stock probably wouldn't get as high as it is now, but personally I liked Ellis and he looked legit last year especially the last two months of the season.

A's have Pennington and or Melillo(who I've read had a very good last season) as a potential 2B replacements in a few years maybe.

Let's say the A's do sign F.Thomas and if he can even remain remotely healthy and give you 450-500 ABs, I think he is a legit 30+ hr DH. Crosby hopefully is healthy next year for the entire season and he's a 20-25 hr OF.

Then you may get another veteran bat like C.Lee or a Bradley so losing Ellis wouldn't be a HUGE HIT to this defense maybe other than defensively.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By asch on Saturday, December 03, 2005 - 06:08 am:

well, Castillo got traded to Minn yesterday, so Ellis isn't that one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Saturday, December 03, 2005 - 06:26 am:

Ellis is from SD which is basically next door to Minnesota so it would've made sense ala sending Hudson to Atl when he grew up in the southeast and Mulder to Stl when he grew up in Illionois I think.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.