Help
Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

Why Thomas over Piazza?

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: Why Thomas over Piazza?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By beaneball on Wednesday, January 25, 2006 - 04:50 pm:

I don't understand why "The Big SKIRT" instead of Mike Piazza? Piazza is less injury prone than Thomas (I realize that isn't saying much) and I think at this stage of his career would be a much more productive DH. Plus as a bonus he could catch once every two weeks or so, since that's all Kendall seems to need for a break. Then you dump Melhuse, which would probably make him happy, and you save yourself a roster spot. I guess it all comes down to dollars and $en$e. Or lack thereof.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By raiderjohn on Wednesday, January 25, 2006 - 04:56 pm:

Thomas is a career American Leaguer, he has a better grasp of the strategy in looking for pitches. Thomas also has nearly doubled the walks as Piazza.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Wednesday, January 25, 2006 - 05:11 pm:

Yeah, if you look at the career #s of Piazza as a DH, they're really bad. Then you got to mention he's played all his career in the NL and maybe we saw with Kendall, there's a time for an adjustment switching from one league to the other. Kotsay faced the same problem the first half of 2004 where he struggled but turned it on in the second half.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jenmed on Wednesday, January 25, 2006 - 05:14 pm:

The fact that Frank Thomas' career OPS is 60 points higher than Piazza's doesn't hurt either. You know Billy loves that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rayfossefan on Wednesday, January 25, 2006 - 05:23 pm:

also, thomas is a MASHER. seriously, did you ever watch the guy when he was healthy? don't under-estimate beane: he has been watching frank's health for MONTHS now and there's no way he'd sign him if he didn't think it would have even the slightest chance of panning out.

this is a win-win situation and this offseason we have added and not taken away.

the big question mark will be: can thomas stay healthy? i don't think he's lost his swing, i am sure beane doesn't either. he has the ability to destroy AL pitching and man does our offense look tasty now. we get swisher and DJ back another year wiser - DJ will be a big factor as he bascially showed his AA and AAA numbers were no fluke. Ellis is the real deal and crosby when healthy has carried this whole team. chavez finally gets some pressure taken off him and will get good pitches to hit. not to mention if we can rest kotsay a bunch he is a pure .300 hitter and we have one of the best OFs in the game.

who couldn't be excited about this???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rtd on Wednesday, January 25, 2006 - 05:28 pm:

Anyone that has watched Piazza play over the last 5 years knows the guy is running on empty. Getting FT is awesome.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Wednesday, January 25, 2006 - 05:30 pm:

Thomas is the best pure RH power bat the A's have had since maybe McGwire? I don't think you can compare him to a Jaha or even Tejada.

30 hrs/75 RBIs in 345 ABs the past two seasons. If he could somehow even put up those #s this season for the A's, I could live with that.

Injuries will be a concern but it's worth the risk.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By finleyshero on Wednesday, January 25, 2006 - 05:40 pm:

Because they got Thomas to essentially play for free!

Wish they'd all sign contracts like this. It would make the game a lot more fun for fans!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By beaneball on Wednesday, January 25, 2006 - 05:41 pm:

Yeah he gets more walks. But didn't we learn our lesson from Durazo? Sometimes you need a guy who will go outside the zone to drive in a run. Maybe Bradley will be that guy for us this year. I think you can throw Piazza's career numbers as a DH out the window, when has he ever DHed? Only in interleague play. I do agree that Thomas is the best power guy we've had since McGwire. But at age 37 and without being able to stay healthy for the last few years, I don't think 30 HR is realistic.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Wednesday, January 25, 2006 - 05:46 pm:

What about Piazza changing leagues then. You have to wonder why both Kendall and Kotsay struggled either for the entire first year in the AL in regards to Kendall and up until the last two months for Kotsay. I mean Piazza if he did come to the AL most likely would've DH'ed, meaning he'd be playing half the game for the first time in his long career since he is a career national leaguer. You hear many who do DH say that it's a totally different game sitting on the bench for the entire game than it is when you're actually on the field playing defense. Thomas has been a DH for the most part in the latter stages of his career with the ChiSox and did quite well.

I think most view going from the NL to AL is tougher cause the NL pitchers are thought to challenge you in batter's counts by throwing mostly fastballs while AL pitchers throwing offspeed stuff.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By asch on Wednesday, January 25, 2006 - 05:56 pm:

At their prime, Frank was a better hitter than Piazza. WHEN Frank plays and is healthy, he is a better hitter.

If Frank was not a good choice for injury or whatever, I would have been fine with piazza as the DH choice, but as is, I think Frank is the better option.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rayfossefan on Wednesday, January 25, 2006 - 06:15 pm:

...Thomas over Piazza b/c Thomas is Beane's REAL Holy Grail.... seriously...

from Slusser:

Thomas and A's GM Billy Beane spoke at length at the winter meetings in December and, Tellem said, "Frank really clicked with Billy. He felt comfortable with him. That only reaffirmed Oakland as his No. 1 choice. Obviously, they share the same hitting philosphy."

Hahahahaha

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By yc2578 on Wednesday, January 25, 2006 - 06:16 pm:

Piazza's power has really started to dwindle the last couple of years where Thomas is still a legit power hitter when he's in the line up, basically that's why the A's prefered Thomas. This is a low risk signing where the A's can dump Thomas in May if it is evident that he can't go anymore and still be in decent shape without him.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By beaneball on Wednesday, January 25, 2006 - 08:43 pm:

Okay you guys convinced me. The switching from the National League factor, especially for a guy who's at the end of his career, would probably take some time. I guess we will just have to hope that Frank's ankle holds up, if it does then we will be playing October baseball. If not, then like yc says just dump him or use him off the bench.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Thursday, January 26, 2006 - 06:50 am:

Also if Piazza was the better player avaiable, why is he still out there? At least Thomas had an excuse cause of his injury and the test he had to take to make sure it was alright.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By raiderjohn on Thursday, January 26, 2006 - 10:23 am:

One point was made on another thread about Thomas, he will not play 2 days in a row. That leads me to think he'll get about 90-100 games. Anyone expecting more than 20 homers from him, forget it. I'd love to see 20-50, with a 300+ average. The thing he gives you is the threat, Chavez will see better pitches. This also takes some of the pressure off sophomores Swish and DJ. Then last of all, this is a 16 year MLB vet who has a ring and gone through the wars, that experience, the stories he will share is worth the salary we're paying him.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevink on Thursday, January 26, 2006 - 11:36 am:

rj, good point. However I think that you have to look at what kind of production the position produces, not just 1 player. If Thomas hits 20 Hrs at DH, and Swish/DJ hit 15 combined at DH, that's 35 HRs from that position. I think we'd all take that considering the lack of production at DH we had last year.

This is why I like the A.L. better- there's more strategy when you fill out the lineup card, which to me is more interesting then when the manager will shrewdly execute the double switch (usually it's a no brainer). On top of that I'd rather watch Frank Thomas bat than Jason Schmidt.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Sunday, January 29, 2006 - 02:44 am:

Looks like Piazza will be returning to the west coast but it maybe with the Pads according to many reports from SD.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jenmed on Sunday, January 29, 2006 - 05:03 pm:

Yup, $2M for a one year deal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By asch on Sunday, January 29, 2006 - 05:44 pm:

8 million dollar mutual option for the second year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Sunday, January 29, 2006 - 10:02 pm:

Makes Thomas look like a steal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By raiderjohn on Thursday, February 02, 2006 - 02:54 pm:

10 million, geez, okay no way he sees the 8 million next year, but still 2 million guaranteed, Thomas was a huge steal.

I guess with Thomas in the heart of the order, the A's finally felt comfortable letting #25 (Loaiza) retake the field.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.