Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

Charity and Athletics Nation

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: Charity and Athletics Nation
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By vantheman2 on Thursday, February 02, 2006 - 11:16 pm:

There have been talk on this site comparing AN and OAFC. I go to both sites and more As sites there are the better it is for all of us. AN did two charity thing that I would have like to have see this site do to show support to the As and the community.

The first was a T-shirt to honor the late Bill King with the profits going to the Smuin Ballet.

The second was to take donation from there members to buy Plaza Level season tickets for underprivileged kids in the community. The last update I seen they had collected over $4,000.00 for 6 season tickets and over $2, 000.00 for food for the kids. The As discount the tickets but Aramark has not given them a discount on the food as of yet.

These are two things I think we at OAFC can support even if they are ANs ideas. I also would like to think that the members at AN would support OAFCs causes also. Like I and other peoples on this site have said there is no reason to have a rivalry between the sites. So let support all of the As sites because in the long run it will better for all of us As fans.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Friday, February 03, 2006 - 03:57 am:

Great post Van.

The OAFC has done some things in support of the Oakland community in the way of ticket give-away and other things along the years we've been in existence. But we remain an internet community which usually only goes "public" during crucial moments related to the relocation or ballpak issues.

We are not big in promoting sponsorships and shy away from asking the A's for "freebies" or other favors such as advertizing our site etc...
simply because as a watchdog organization we don't want to compromize our independence or cater to any sponsor, especially the ownership.

Like many of us have pointed out, AN is a great A's site, but it is not particularly pro-Oakland and in fact it has in several occasions promoted the relocation of the team to Sactown or anywhere in the Bay Area other than Oakland.

I agree there should be no rivalry between the sites, but REMEMBER, the OAFC was created and remains committed to the goal of keeping the A's in Oakland where it belongs. This is our primary goal and only real reason for existing. All the rest, including the baseball discussion forum is secondary.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By asch on Friday, February 03, 2006 - 04:41 am:

GREAT post Lil.

As I mentioned on another post here, I love OAFC the most! My only had complaint recently was lack of movement in the offseason....but that's cause I am a freak! So recently, I poked over to AN more and more (I set up an account there I think over a year ago, but didn't do much with it). I did see the donation and I donated and felt great about doing so.

Lil, however, brings up a great point. AN and OAFC are both PRO A's. But only the OAFC is really "pro-Stay in Oakland" and because of that fact, the sites are very different. I have never seen a pro-Oakland portion to AN - and that's fine. That's not what they do.

That's what this site does. As an A's fan in Cincy right now, it obviously doesn't affect me direclty if the A's move to say, Santa Clara. BUT it does affect my feelings and I think the team, with its rich history needs to stay in oakland - and that's why I check and post on this site every day.

The only rivalry between the two sites is if someone creates one and I just don't see the point.

Go A's!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jerryo1 on Friday, February 03, 2006 - 10:21 am:

Welcome aboard Van!

I too have noticed the projects that AN is conducting, and I applaud them for their efforts. It would be a great venture for the OAFC to participate in, if funds were available, but unfortunately they are not.

The OAFC did make a generous contribution to the Marin Agricultural Land Foundation, in the name of Bill King, at the time of his passing. We did not come onto this Forum and say "hey, look what we did", but just made the donation because it was what Bill King had requested, and we felt that we owed it to him for all of the memories that he had given us.

I assure you all that the the OAFC would love to participate in these causes that benefit the community, but in most cases our meager budget will not allow it. In fact, we barely accumulate enough Annual Membership Dues to keep this site running, so if any of you would like to see the OAFC participate in more programs like the ones that Van described, and you have not renewed your membership in 2006, please CLICK THE "DONATE" PIGGY BANK AT THE TOP OF THIS PAGE and make a contribution to the OAFC. All proceeds go toward the maintenance of this site and OAFC projects to keep the A's in Oakland.

Many nice things have been said in the "comparson thread" about this value of this site. With your help the OAFC, and this Forum, will be around for years to come.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By drumme510 on Friday, February 03, 2006 - 12:07 pm:

Just signed as a monetary member. I never knew you could. No offense this site could use some new designs for t-shirts. Like: Wolff Make Our Dreams Come True...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By asch on Friday, February 03, 2006 - 05:27 pm:

yeah martin! in with the dough! Love it.

Now you can do like so many other loyal OAFC'ers and wait for that OAFC pin to come (about a year from now).

I love you jerry!

:)

I actually cannot find my pin and would like another.

Are dues here supposed to be paid yearly? I had no idea. I would be glad to reup.

Can I get a new pin? I want one for Maxwell - he's getting a nice A's/baseball collection now:
1. photo of him with Ray Fosse
2. Barry Zito figurine
3. Negro League HOF commemerative mini bat
4. Bill King autograph "to maxwell" note
etc etc
I'd like to get that OAFC pin up there on his dresser.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Saturday, February 04, 2006 - 12:00 am:

I am now the possessor of the pins. I'll see what I can do! :)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By asch on Saturday, February 04, 2006 - 08:56 am:

NICE - did you get a promotion?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By drumme510 on Saturday, February 04, 2006 - 10:30 am:

I wish was rollin in the dough, adam. I really should be saving up fo a car. Look what A's baseball has done to me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Saturday, February 04, 2006 - 11:48 am:

I don't know that I would call it a promotion, Adam, but be nice to me and I might send you one!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By asch on Saturday, February 04, 2006 - 05:46 pm:

EY, when have I NOT been nice you???

Me love the EY!

Martin: yeah, I hear you. I SHOULD be spending money on other things, but I know I will be forking over that damn $150 for MLB extra innings and may even look into XM so that I can catch the games when I am away from home.

Maybe I'll charge you $5 everytime we watch the game over at my house! (in a few years I can say "just bring the beer...." but not quite yet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By drumme510 on Saturday, February 04, 2006 - 07:37 pm:

man, Adam, ill tell ya. im in college, and ill leave it at that. Yea i might get the mlb radio thing at mlb.com. I was wondering eyleen, if the current stadium situation continues (with wolff not compramising wit the city of oakland), we should organize a OAFC rally er something.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.