Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

More Radio talk

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: More Radio talk
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rayfossefan on Wednesday, February 08, 2006 - 02:38 am:

Let Susan Slusser know how I feel about the new radio deal and had a test drive tonight! First, the email: (hope Susan doesn't mind me reposting this, on the off chance she ever reads this forum)

>>>>>>
Hi Kevin,

I'm not a columnist, so I cannot put my own opinion in stories. I must keep them strictly factual because I am a beat reporter.

I do know the A's tried very hard to get a better deal and were unable to. There are just a few strong-signal stations in the Bay Area, and none wanted to take on 162 games-plus. Believe me, the A's would love it if one of those stations would. They also had a deal with a medium range station fall through, on the station's side, at the last minute. So, know all that, I certainly wouldn't fault the A's over this. It's only to their benefit to have the best radio deal possible.

They want to reach fans, there is no doubt. They can't make radio stations want them, though. If you feel strongly about this, you need to let some stations in your area know that the A's would be a lucrative addition for them and something to pursue.

- Susan

<<<<<<<<

very interesting....I wonder what station backed out on us at the last minute?

now onto the "test drive"...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rayfossefan on Wednesday, February 08, 2006 - 02:48 am:

so this evening I went down to the bay area from Davis (where I currently live for graduate school, as many of you may know) to see the little lady who lives in Alameda. Came down during rush hour, around 5/6pm ish... didn't think too much about KYCY 1550 AM until I got to Vallejo... and tried it out....

... it came in loud and clear, all the way down to Alameda. stayed in the area until late tonight, and didn't leave for Davis until 12am (hence this late posting)... which gave me the ideal opportunity for an experiment with the "night range" of 1550. For those of you who don't know how it works, I lifted this from wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AM_radio) :

>>>>>>>>>

Because of its susceptibility to atmospheric interference and generally lower-fidelity sound, AM broadcasting is better suited to talk radio and news programming, while music radio and public radio mostly shifted to FM broadcasting in the late 1960s and 1970s.

Medium wave and short wave radio signals act differently during daytime and nighttime. During the day, AM signals travel by groundwave, refracting around the curve of the earth over a distance up to a few hundred miles (or kilometers) from the signal transmitter. However, after sunset, changes in the ionosphere cause AM signals to travel by skywave, enabling AM radio stations to be heard much farther from their point of origin than is normal during the day. This phenomenon can be easily observed by scanning an AM radio dial at night. As a result, many broadcast stations are required as a condition of license to reduce their broadcasting power significantly after sunset, or even to suspend broadcasting entirely during nighttime hours. (Such stations are commonly referred to as daytimers.)

Some other radio stations are granted clear channel rights, meaning that they broadcast on frequencies whose use is restricted and thus relatively unaffected by interference from other stations.

The hobby of listening to long distance signals is known as DX or DX'ing, from an old telegraph abbreviation for "distance unknown". Several non-profit hobbyist clubs are devoted exclusively to DXing the AM broadcast band, including the National Radio Club and International Radio Club of America. Similarly, people listening to short wave transmissions are SWLing.

AM radio signals can be disrupted in large urban centres by concrete bridges with metal reinforcements, other Faraday cages and other sources of radio frequency interference (RFI). As a result, AM radio has lost its dominance as a music broadcasting service, and in many cities is now relegated to news, sports and talk radio stations.
<<<<<<<<<<<

not sure what KYCY lowers their signal to at night, but I am sure someone here posted it somewhere.

anyway, I listened all the way from Alameda all the way to Davis!! The format was an 80s show (which I quite liked) and then an Indie show. Not live, from the east coast I think. Anyway, it was loud and clear all the way until after the Carquenz bridge, and over the hill to Fairfield it dimmed a bit, but was loud and clear again all the way through Fairfield. I was suprised when it kept going into Vacaville... then Dixon... and now Davis. I can get out in my car right now and still pick it up... around Dixon it starts to tail off a bit, with some static, but it's quite comparable to how well I get 610AM up here. I am most suprised... and delighted! Now I have to do a similar experiment during the daytime... and can only hope I see similar results! I also should say that I drive a 2000 VW which have notoriously poor AM reception. My Sony stereo radio at home inside my apartment picks it up much better, and I'd guess most other cars would too.

Just a bit of happy news for you fellow A's fans living up here.... not sure if it will reach another 15 miles up the road to Sacramento or not....well, time for bed now.. dreaming of a WS victory!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By howard on Wednesday, February 08, 2006 - 09:57 am:

http://www.contracostatimes.com/mld/cctimes/sports/13810494.htm

A's set new radio lineup for the upcoming seasonKYCY (1550-AM) and KNTS (1220-AM) will carry Oakland's gamesBy Jonathan OkanesCONTRA COSTA TIMESThe A's may not be on a powerful 50,000-watt radio station as they have been in the past, but vice president of communications and broadcasting Ken Pries is confident the team's games will reach as many corners of the Bay Area as they used to.
The A's announced their new radio deal Monday, and they will have a combined flagship station of San Francisco's KYCY 1550-AM and San Jose's KNTS 1220-AM. The two stations should give the A's about the same combined coverage that KFRC 610-AM did during the past four seasons, according to Pries.
"Obviously the big priority was being able to find an opportunity to get on stations that would cover the entire market or as much as we possibly could, and we were able to do that," Pries said. "I think it will be better in some areas, not as good in others. On some of our other alternatives in the past, there were some areas that were very weak."
The A's were in the market for a new flagship station after their contract wasn't renewed by KFRC, which was sold to new ownership last year and changed its format to religious programming. The deal with KYCY and KNTS is for three years.
KYCY, which also carries Cal basketball, will broadcast every regular-season and potential postseason game. KNTS will carry 127 games, some of them joined in progress after 6 p.m. on weekdays.
Pries said KNTS is committed to its news talk format from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. on weekdays, meaning it won't broadcast most midweek day games and will join other weeknight games from other time zones, which typically begin at 4 or 5 p.m., in progress.
"We talked to a number of South Bay stations, and this was the best alternative," Pries said. "Could it be better? Absolutely. But given what we've gone through, and the situation with the radio market, I think we came up with the best possible alternative."
KFRC is one of only five 50,000-watt AM stations in the Bay Area, and Pries said he made contact with all five. KNBR 680-AM carries the Giants. Pries said the other three -- KCBS 740-AM, KGO 810-AM and KSFO 560-AM -- all "doing very well with their programming right now."
KYCY is owned by CBS Radio, which also owns KCBS. Doug Harvill, senior vice president and market manager for both stations, said KCBS and its all-news format wasn't an option.
"We're all news, all the time," he said.

DOES THIS MEAN THAT WE WILL NOT BE ABLE TO HEAR THE BEGINNING OF GAMES???

KYCY??? What is this 147 watts of power???

THIS IS CRAZY. How can it be that a professional major league baseball team gets a WORSE radio deal than a local university. This makes me hate KNBR and the Giants even more!
Wait until Bonds retires, this team will lose all of its wine sipping "sort-of" fans. Let's hope it is sooner than later.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By gregorymark on Wednesday, February 08, 2006 - 12:16 pm:

Thanks for the test drive, fossefan. I live in Dixon, and was encouraged by the report of reception up I-80. I listened to KYCY one evening last week on my commute over the causeway, and the reception wasn't all that good -- but this was before reaching Davis. Let's hope the A's secure something for Sacramento. Personally, I'd like to see KTKZ-1380 take on A's broadcasts. The AM signal is decent (and, quite frankly, their middle-to-late evening programing isn't all that great), and they recently picked up 105.5 FM in the Sac area where they simulcast the programming on the AM side. They could continue with their talk-radio format on FM, and switch to the A's on AM. The station carried Raider games a year or so ago, including Sac State football and basketball, so KTKZ-AM 1380 might be interested.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rayfossefan on Wednesday, February 08, 2006 - 01:28 pm:

cool beans gregorymark - where exactly do you live?? and have you emailed 1380 yet??? if you have a contact address, let me know and the lobbying shall begin!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By pachyderm on Wednesday, February 08, 2006 - 03:19 pm:

Here is the updated list of all broadcast affiliates. If anyone needs it.

http://oakland.athletics.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/oak/schedule/affiliates.jsp

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Wednesday, February 08, 2006 - 04:25 pm:

I'm in Oakland right now and hear 1550 clear...:)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rayfossefan on Wednesday, February 08, 2006 - 06:14 pm:

I can actually get 1550 OK in Dixon and Davis during the daytime, it has a bit of static, but it's still better than 960AM used to be, which was what the A's were on when I first moved up here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Wednesday, February 08, 2006 - 10:38 pm:

Hmmm. Depending upon what part of Sacto you live in, maybe you can pull Auburn's station. I'm sure it's probably like Napa's though ... 5000 watt during the day and 1000 watt during the nite.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Thursday, February 16, 2006 - 10:40 pm:

So I took my dog for a walk just now and brought my radio to tune in the Cal game. My little radio has a slide tuner (non-digital) and I had a hell of a time finding 1550. There a ton of stations at the high end of the AM dial -- mostly foreign language stations apparently. I finally found 1550 but it wasn't easy. At least the reception was OK.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Friday, February 17, 2006 - 05:27 am:

You gotta buy a digital tuner then cause 1550 is clear for me in Oakland.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Friday, February 17, 2006 - 10:19 am:

Mpg3 of Lurie's show last night....

http://www.loveofthegameproductions.com/audio/insidebaseball/feb%2016-1.mp3
http://www.loveofthegameproductions.com/audio/insidebaseball/feb%2016-2.mp3
http://www.loveofthegameproductions.com/audio/insidebaseball/feb%2016-3.mp3

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.