Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

Pitching Rotation 2006

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: Pitching Rotation 2006
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ssblip on Wednesday, February 08, 2006 - 12:53 pm:

The season's nearing. And every time I envision hearing these names mentioned as our starters on any given day -- Zito, Harden, Haren, Blanton and Loaiza -- I get freakin' weak.

Weak? Exactly. Just like the Belinda Carlisle song says: "My heart's all tangled up/My tongue is tied it's crazy. I get weak."

And even though our rotation's amazing and our pen is deep, it's reassuring to know that Beane isn't overrelying on pitching this year as he's done in years past.

This wagon's gonna roll. Just had to share my glee with ye OAFC compadres.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By givedaddy5 on Wednesday, February 08, 2006 - 01:15 pm:

I am ready for the season. I haven't been this pumped up for an A's team in a long time. I think they are stacked. Apparently I am not the only one. Check this out:

From a Rob Neyer chat:

Kevin, Arkansas: Are the Oakland A's a legitimate contender in the American League?

Rob Neyer: (12:57 PM ET ) Right now, on paper, the A's are the third-best team on the planet (after the U.S.A. and the D.R.).

You gotta love hearing that!!!!!

Viva A's in 2006

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By beanetown on Wednesday, February 08, 2006 - 01:38 pm:

I'm totally fired up! But they can't do it on paper. They got to go out and do it on the field. I want to see Bradley's fire and Big Hurt's veteran leadership get us those W's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rayfossefan on Wednesday, February 08, 2006 - 01:39 pm:

pitching wins lots of games. we have all seen that in the past with the big three. is the current crop of 5 pitchers as good as the big three were in their prime, with an effective cory lidle? that remains to be seen- but they are definitely all workhorses and all have very different styles. I really like the look Loaiza brings to the team. Haren has some nasty cut to his stuff, Zito must continue to adapt as a pitcher, Blanton will be another year more confident in his ability, and Harden - well really the kid just has to get into a groove - we all know what he can do.

throw in a bullpen whose back end is anchored by our first legit closer in YEARS - a guy who is as close to an automatic "win" as you can get - he he's just a kid - and we also have great depth - saarloos, duke, kennedy, witasicl, calero - i really hope they also bring in flores as well - i like our depth here but worry about their experience as a bullpen - are they going to be able to come in and pitch a few times a week for an inning or two - duke showed he could do it, and kennedy was effective - witasick is great when he has his control - but this part of the team will decide if we win games or not - can they hold leads and get to Huston??

of course there is the question of the offense as well but this was about pitching... you can't be overly optimisitc about thomas, have to hope payton can repeat some numbers, that ellis is really playing like ellis now, that crosby can keep up his .300 form, that bradley will pan out, that swisher and johnson will improve, that chavez will flourish with lineup protection (sometimes i feel he gets better hits off hard pitches, not straight fastballs!) - will kotsay play a lot and be an MVP style CFer? will kendall pull his weight and throw some runners out and have a decent OBP? lots depends... but... on paper at least, i'd say we look like one of the tope 6 team in the AL (the others being boston, toronto (yes!!), yankees, cleveland, chicago and angels) - i think chicago won't be able to win their division though. cleveland is an awesome team.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By drumme510 on Wednesday, February 08, 2006 - 01:43 pm:

Rotation:
Zito
Harden
Loaiza
Haren
Blanton

From a Drummer510 chat:

John, Zimbabwe: I wondering, how much does Rob Neyer love Billy Beane and the A's?

Martin: (3:44 PM ET) Right now, if Billy Beane told Neyer to run across 880, Neyer wouldnt even think about it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ssblip on Wednesday, February 08, 2006 - 01:50 pm:

Nuh-uh. Neyer lives in Portland. He'd have to book a flight first, and probably have to deal with ESPN's travel agency, which can't be fun, and then he'd have to go through some kind of expense-approval process first. Then of course comes to the cab to the airport, the flight, and naturally the challenge of getting a cabbie to drop you off RIGHT THERE at the intersection of Hegenberger and 880.

I bet he'd think about it.

But ya, like, he'd still do it and all.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.