Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

where are they now? more former A's

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: where are they now? more former A's
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rayfossefan on Wednesday, February 08, 2006 - 04:25 pm:

Jan. 5, 2006
Twins signed first baseman Jason Hart to a minor league contract and invited him to spring training.
After missing 2004 following surgery to remove a non-cancerous brain tumor, Hart returned last season and hit .246/.313/.440 for Double-A Frisco. It'd be nice to see the former A's and Rangers prospect log some time in the majors, but it's probably not going to happen with Minnesota.

12/08/2005

DALLAS, Texas -- The Kansas City Royals obtained infielder Esteban German from the Texas Rangers for Rule 5 selection Fabio Castro, Royals Senior Vice President-Baseball Operations/General Manager Allard Baird announced today. Castro was selected by the Royals as the first overall pick in the Major League portion of the Rule 5 Draft Thursday.
German, 27, split time between Oklahoma (AAA) and the Texas Rangers in 2005. The fleet-footed infielder hit .313 with a Pacific Coast League-leading 43 stolen bases in 49 attempts for Oklahoma. He also recorded 27 doubles, six triples, five homers, 68 RBI and 103 runs scored in 117 games. The right-handed batter was a September call-up to the Rangers and hit .750 (3-4) with an RBI and two stolen bases in five games.

The 5-9, 165-pounder is currently continuing his stellar 2005 by leading the Dominican Winter League in average (.350), on-base percentage (.462) and stolen bases (25) in 37 games for Azucareros as of Tuesday. He has drawn 30 walks while striking out just 12 times.

German, a native of Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic, has appeared in the Major Leagues for parts of the past four seasons with Oakland from 2002-2004 and Texas last season. He is a career .252 (26-103) hitter with two doubles, a triple, nine RBI and three stolen bases in 50 games, appearing in 24 games at second base and 12 more at third. German originally signed with Oakland in 1996 and is a career .300 hitter with 389 stolen bases in 993 minor league games. He has led his league in stolen bases three times.

Castro was taken from the Class AAA Charlotte roster of the Chicago White Sox.

01/10/2006

Tigers signed outfielder Ryan Ludwick to a minor league contract and invited him to spring training.
Ludwick, a .237/.299/.415 hitter in 334 major league at-bats, will head to Triple-A Toledo to start the year. His power remains intriguing, but he'll need to tear up the International League for a while before he gets another chance.

April, 2005:

Ryan Christianson, c (now trying catcher) Mariners .280-1-13 (San Antonio), .258-6-24 (Tacoma) - suspended for steroid use

Adam Piatt retired (didn't know that)

12/01/2005

The Associated Press reports the Philadelphia Phillies signed C Sal Fasano (Orioles) to a one-year, $425,000 contract.

... anyone got any more? damn i'm bored, start the season already!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Wednesday, February 08, 2006 - 04:27 pm:

Damn, remember Hart who was supposed to be the next big time slugger earlier this century. He was a long time A's fan so I was rooting hard for him to succedd but he never could live up to his potential he had.

Him and Piatt were the huge position player dissapointments I think the A's have had since 2000.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevink on Wednesday, February 08, 2006 - 04:53 pm:

Hart was the next Giambi.
Piatt was the next Don Mattingly.

Hart got cancer and Piatt just flat flopped.

What a rise and fall for Piatt. He led every category it seemed in AA, (didn't he win the triple crown too?), every reason to think he was the real thing, but man what a disappointment he was!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jerryo1 on Wednesday, February 08, 2006 - 05:14 pm:

"April, 2005: Ryan Christianson, c (now trying catcher) Mariners .280-1-13 (San Antonio), .258-6-24 (Tacoma) - suspended for steroid use"

This is a different Ryan Christenson (note the spelling).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rayfossefan on Wednesday, February 08, 2006 - 06:08 pm:

oh, my bad Jerry. any news what happened to our old friend Ryno then?

yeah, remember Piatt also came down with viral mennigitis. nasty stuff. too bad he's given up, he must have had some talent to win that triple crown at AA, even if it was Midland, he played half his games on the road!

I remember in ST of 2001 or 2002, Hart was ripping HR bombs left right and center!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By drumme510 on Wednesday, February 08, 2006 - 07:20 pm:

Too bad Piatt was on the juice. I remember one year, he was this skinny white boy, then the next year he grew tree trunks for arms.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Wednesday, February 08, 2006 - 09:10 pm:

Hart's brain tumor was not cancer.

Who knows how juice might have affected these guys (Hart, Piatt)?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Wednesday, February 08, 2006 - 09:53 pm:

I remember both had that short stroke and had similar batting stances.

Both Piatt and Long came up around the same time in 2000 and Piatt was absolutely ripping the ball early but he leveled off a bit and then was completely overmatched.

I remember watching Rivercats games on FSN just to watch Hart and he looked quite impressive...too bad what happened to his health.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By asch on Thursday, February 09, 2006 - 06:47 am:

RFF, I agree that Piatt had to have had some talent to make it in the bigs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By beanetown on Thursday, February 09, 2006 - 10:52 am:

Wasn't Piatt slowed by a nasty case of meningitis? That's a pretty serious illness. He was never the same.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevink on Thursday, February 09, 2006 - 11:07 am:

It's odd these guys that get all these weird things at a young age, like Hart's tumor, Piatt's meningitis, Giambi's tumor. Seems that the juice is hard on the human body and weird things happen, including career-ending diseases. In fact I think this may be more the HGH side effects than just plain roids, but the combo like what Giambi was doing is the killer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By yc2578 on Thursday, February 09, 2006 - 11:17 am:

kevin, where have you heard Piatt's meningitis was caused by steroids? It's a viral infection.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.