Help
Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

A's trade Bynum and Rheinecker for Juan Dominguez

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: A's trade Bynum and Rheinecker for Juan Dominguez
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By asch on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 07:15 pm:

BB stacks up on starting pitching yet again.
The rotoworld quote speaks as a positive move. I would have liked to have kept Bynum, but we got another young, cheap starter with ML experience.

from rotoworld:

Athletics acquired RHP Juan Dominguez from the Rangers for LHP John Rheinecker and infielder Freddie Bynum.
Sounds good to us. Rheinecker has always been sort of interesting, but he's probably going to be a long-term reliever, rather than a starter. Bynum goes from the Rangers to the Cubs, making him the National League 25th man he was destined to become. Dominguez has more potential than any other player in the deal, and the A's are buying low with the Rangers down on him. The A's now have a second-string rotation of Kirk Saarloos, Joe Kennedy, Dominguez, Brad Halsey and Chad Gaudin, which is probably better than Tampa Bay's one through five. Dominguez will head to Triple-A Sacramento, and if he makes an impact in Oakland this year, it'll likely be as a reliever. Mar. 31 - 8:49 pm et

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 07:47 pm:

I know a lot of A's fans here who wanted to keep Bynum won't be happy.

Don't know much about this Dominguez kid. Sounds like he has all the stuff in the world but the problem with him is from the shoulder's up. He still relatively young, I think in his mid 20s...don't know if he has a future as a SP or RP with the A's if they do keep him.

With all these addition of SP, are the A's gonna trade a Zito? They already have Saarloos and Kennedy as relievers but then in the minors you got Halsey, Dominguez and don't forget Meyer.

Was listening to "Right Off the Bat" and both Korach and Lurie were in favor of the deal.

Never seen an A's this with this much deep both in major and minor league pitching.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By finleyunplugged on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 09:51 pm:

Went to the game in Sacto last night and Bynum got the longest and loudest applause of any player. He also took the time to linger, sign autographs and chat with fans postgame down the left field line after everyone else on both sides had gone to the clubhouse. In retrospect, perhaps he knew it was his swansong at Raley Field and with the organization and wanted to soak in the love one last time.

I never saw him take a single game or play off in the entire time he was in Sacto. Hustle like that is rare and endearing. The move to the Cubs is a great opportunity, but I will certainly miss him.

A few other observations: Rich Harden was close to untouchable, except for Charles Thomas, who hit shots off him three times. Unfortunately for Thomas, two of the balls were caught. Hard to figure out Thomas. He tore up the PCL when he was sent down last year too, then just fizzled. This year he's sporting a Manny Ramirez style hairdo, for better or for worse...

Speaking of appearances, I had never seen Antonio Perez in person before, but does anyone else think he looks a lot like Miggy? I know he is from Tejada's hometown, Bani, D.R., so perhaps he intentionally tries to emulate his style, but everything from his #4 A's jersey to his batting stance and aggressive approach reminded me of Miguel. Wishful thinking on my part, perhaps, but the resemblance is striking.

Danny Putnam also made two great catches in the outfield, one of which he turned into a triple play.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 11:49 pm:

Though I think Miggy is cute, I think Perez is considerably better looking. The only similarity is his wearing #4

As for Bynum, I would have loved to see him get a chance here, but would have been surprised had they made room for him and the only way they could have done that was by dealing Kielty. I doubt if any other team felt Kielty's nearly $2mil salary was worth it. I am very happy for Bynum and look forward to following him with the Cubs, just to see how he turns out, if nothing else. Just boiled down to no room at the inn.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sactofan on Saturday, April 01, 2006 - 12:20 am:

I was at the Rivercats/A's game also, sitting right behind third base and I had the exact same reaction about Perez - that he looked a LOT like Miggy, although I realized that the #4 was part of it. But even beyond that, there is a major resemblance!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Saturday, April 01, 2006 - 12:23 am:

I heard on the telecast that Perez is actually a close friend with Miggi and that Vulcinich(sp?) gave him that numbers cause he was friends with Miggi and Perez reminded him of Tejada too.

Payton got Giambi's #16.
Street got Mulder's #20.
DJ got Tam's #29.
Perez got Tejada's #4.
Blanton's got Ramon's #55.

Ahh, memories...:)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Saturday, April 01, 2006 - 08:42 am:

Well, Dominguez may get his chance up here as early as next week. If the A's opener is rained out (and right now, it appears very likely), the A's will carry 12 pitchers with a AAA starter scheduled for one of the games in Seattle.

Since this is Yankees only trip in, A's would play day/nite doubleheader on Wednesday. I know, it's a real bummer. I checked Oakland's forecast and right now Monday is predicted to be rainy all day with thunderstorms. I love rain, but this month even I've tired of it. Santa Rosa just set a record with 25 days of rain in March. April starts today, and it's still raining; in fact, it was just pouring here this morning, but I think it will dissipate today. Decent weather for Oakland predicted today,with some rain tomorrow.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By yc2578 on Saturday, April 01, 2006 - 10:14 am:

I'm really trying to figure out what the hell MLB was thinking with the A's first week schedule. They get three home games and then go on the road, which is fine but there is typically always a day off in the first week but not this year so no travel date. Also Wednesday was scheduled as a night game, so the A's have to leave late to go to Seattle. Then with it being the Yankees only trip to Oakland there is no room for a make up date if the rainout scenerio plays out. Because of that though they'll probably play all night on Monday if they have to get an official game in.

Ironically enough the last time the A's opened against the Yankees in 1999 the game was called after eight innings due to rain.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By pachyderm on Saturday, April 01, 2006 - 11:29 am:

Ironically enough the last time the A's opened against the Yankees in 1999 the game was called after eight innings due to rain.

This only proves that Mother Nature hates the Yankees, too. Back to Freddie, trade is similar Cruz deal both players needed or wanted to become Major Leaguer and being with another team give them the opportunity.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By raiderjohn on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 08:19 am:

Haren got Rickey's 24.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.