Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

DJ

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: DJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevink on Saturday, April 15, 2006 - 11:46 am:

Not much seems to be going right, Zito off to a slow start, Chavez back to earth, DJ forgot how to hit.

Now those are the April A's I know!

Bright spot is Big Hurt starting to turn it on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By howard63 on Saturday, April 15, 2006 - 11:50 am:

i think we should bring back Dick Williams or Alvin Dark.

maybe LaRussa.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By washfan38 on Saturday, April 15, 2006 - 12:21 pm:

Don't be a douche bag Howard. Mach is a moron!

Melhuse should have pinched!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Saturday, April 15, 2006 - 12:39 pm:

The entire IF other than Chavez and Scutaro has really struggled bad.

Ellis, Crosby, Kendeall and DJ...throw in Payton from the OF has really struggled the first two weeks of the season as they've combined only for 1 hr and 7 RBIs.

The OF although not tearing off the cover of the ball has done much better so far but when half your lineup isn't hitting, hard to win games especially games where you need try to outhit other teams.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By howard63 on Saturday, April 15, 2006 - 01:00 pm:

no need to revert to name calling, we are adults here.

it's april. 151 games left.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By leftfield139 on Saturday, April 15, 2006 - 01:42 pm:

Hey Wash who do you think is a really good manager? Or even better what A's manager have you liked?

DJ will not be allowed to keep struggling for ever.

Kenny for manager of the year

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By washfan38 on Saturday, April 15, 2006 - 03:35 pm:

LF,

I think Macha is probably a very nice guy/good person, good baseball knowledge; however, his in-game management is subpar and I'm not the only one who feels this way.

I think Wash should be our Manager he deserved the shot.

Howard,

I did not call you a douche bag..I said don't act like one...because of your sarcasm.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By howard63 on Saturday, April 15, 2006 - 08:07 pm:

No offense taken washfan, but thanks.

When Macha "left" last off-season, I had hoped for Wash to take over managing duties as well, but Macha came back. He is the manager so what do you do?

and we are two weeks into the season--lets give the guy a chance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By washfan38 on Saturday, April 15, 2006 - 09:09 pm:

Howie,

I see that you are reasonable, yes Wash should be the Manager but I'm sorry Macha is already starting off bad. Get Crosby the Hell out of the three hole and pinch hit Melhuse in 9th in a losing battle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By howard63 on Sunday, April 16, 2006 - 08:04 am:

washy, buddy... again, we are two weeks into the season. but i appreciate your opinion that i am reasonable...about as much as your critique, understanding of the game and opinion matter to billy and the athletics.
again, maybe give the guy a chance. he is the manager and wash is coaching over there at third base.
and it is howard. pal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Sunday, April 16, 2006 - 04:54 pm:

sigh...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By washfan38 on Sunday, April 16, 2006 - 09:25 pm:

Howart,

This is fellow A's fans little piece of the universe where we can complain about about inefective management...like deciding to pitch to the HR machine Teixara in the 9th. I really don't want to see us repeat spring of a year ago.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By leftfield139 on Monday, April 17, 2006 - 01:51 am:

Hey wash I'm serious WHO have you liked I think I'm just wondering if it's in the nature of a fan to really like a manager. La Russa used to drive my nuts. I remember my Grandma having fits about Dick Williams, I was too young to have a opinion about Williams I just wanted to see Campy play I liked his name.

I did like Billy Martin I mean Billy Ball was fun mostly because Ricky was there to make it happen.

But really we all blame the Manager when we lose and love the players when we win.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By fansince68 on Monday, April 17, 2006 - 09:48 am:

Wash- when the tying run is at the plate with no outs you kinda have to "pitch to him" instead of walking him, regardless of who he is. Give Texeria some credit, plus the fact that Street was jobbed by the home plate ump on the 1-2 pitch.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By howard63 on Monday, April 17, 2006 - 10:02 am:

wash, would you really have walked Texiera, putting the tying run on third? going from your posts you would have ripped that move by macha, no? i think you have to give texeria some credit (as fan says) and realize that sometimes great hitters hit big homeruns.

on the close call, even street says the pitch was a ball. gotta admit, the kids has class.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rayfossefan on Monday, April 17, 2006 - 10:37 am:

howard -

texiera hit a 2 run homer, tying the score at 3, after the a's had score 2 in the bottom of the 8th.

walking him would have put the tying run on *first* base, and would have brought the go ahead run to the plate.

i think with your closer you have to pitch to texiera there - especially with nobody out - your closer has to be able to go after the best guys on the other team.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Monday, April 17, 2006 - 11:27 am:

Well we never know what would've happened but lets say Texiera did walk...Nevin the next hitter grounded to Chavez and the A's at least would've had a double play but who knows, the ball looked like it was hit hard enough possibly for Chavez to try for a triple play.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By howard63 on Monday, April 17, 2006 - 02:51 pm:

woops--I meant first base.
and I agree that you have to trust your closer to get the job done. street did not (this time). my point is that the decision to pitch to texiera was said to be a bad one
---but macha gets ripped no matter what he does, so it is not that surprising.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By washfan38 on Monday, April 17, 2006 - 03:36 pm:

Let's back up people...what in the hell was Street doing in a game the A's were trailing 5-2 on Fri??? Then he pitched Sat & here he comes in again Sun. Bring your closer in the game for a save or in the 8th or 9th inning of a tie ball game NOT a situation where you are trailing. Go ahead Macha supporters tell me I am wrong.

Yes, I would have had respect for Mach had he walked Teix in an attempt to get the DP. If Nevin beats you then hats off to TX. That blast by Teix f-ed up Houston and he should have been yanked right then and there. Again, Macha is probably a great baseball man, good coach but an ineffective in game tactician.

LF,

Answer to your question; Even though he is a vegan nut, I liked La Russa way more than Macha but he and Beane's two egos were never going to coexist. Hell, I would even take Art Howe over Mach. Yes, ART HOWE and all of his in game gaffes...after Payton got shit called by the home plate ump even Art would have been up in Blue's face for his crap call and squeezing our closer thus getting tossed right along with Payton but he would have made his point.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rayfossefan on Monday, April 17, 2006 - 03:57 pm:

wash I totally agree with you, Street has no business being in that game on Friday, BUT... he had not worked for quite some time (since the Seattle series) so it's likely Macha wanted him to get some work, which he didn't get much of in ST anyway due to the WBC.

I think Street is a very good pitcher and will bounce back from this. Like he admitted, his biggest failing was giving up the runs with two outs after the HR and he was almost out of the inning. this will be a test of character for him - nobody is perfect and how he rebounds from this will show what kinds of guts he has. IMHO the guy breathes fire and this will be long forgotten in a month.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By washfan38 on Monday, April 17, 2006 - 04:03 pm:

Yeah your right RFF but there is a term called throwing on the side. It has been expalined to me that closers get mentally psyched for close or closing situations. I could have swore Street pitched at least once in MN?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By howard63 on Monday, April 17, 2006 - 04:52 pm:

He did NOT get any work in MN. And had very little time to get it together in ST due to the big waste of time called the WBC.
So Macha brought him into a 5-2 ballgame to get him some gametime. That is "what in the hell was Street doing in a game the A's were trailing 5-2 on Fri"...getting some work. Cool?

Tip your hat to Texiera, one of the best hitters in the game and lets move on. Even Wash would have pitched to Texeira cuz you do not put the tying run on base.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rayfossefan on Monday, April 17, 2006 - 06:02 pm:

a few years ago, you did if it was barry bonds, and a few years before that, you did if it was big mac :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By washfan38 on Monday, April 17, 2006 - 06:11 pm:

He might next time, especially if getting squeezed by crappy officiating becuase Teix is not only a power threat but a high average hitter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bleacherdave on Monday, April 17, 2006 - 08:00 pm:

You can't intentionally put Tex on, but you don't have to give in to him. Going up and in to him was giving in. I say stay low and away and don't throw him anything he can hit out of the park. I'd rather take my chances with someone not named Texiera.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rayfossefan on Wednesday, April 26, 2006 - 03:38 pm:

nice to see DJ bascially get us back in the game off Cordero 2 nights in a row! A booming double last night and a solid shot HR today! gotta love it. Glad to see the guy is hanging in there and coming back! it's time we got some other people hot!

oh and I want to see Frank Thomas get more singles and doubles, the HR's are nice, but Frank has looked pretty bad missing pitches on swings up there sometimes...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sully on Wednesday, April 26, 2006 - 09:20 pm:

It is very cool to see DJ heat up. Same with Crosby and Big Hurt. Great win today.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Wednesday, April 26, 2006 - 10:28 pm:

Last five games...DJ is 7/18(.341) so hopefully his early season slump is over now.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.