Help
Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

Loaiza.......

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: Loaiza.......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jaykva1 on Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 08:15 pm:

a couple different times in his career, Low 'pitch count' Loaiza has been known to get on some 'big-time' rolls .... Like Butta

and me thinks, he's on one now, let's hope it lasts LATE into October !!

GO Lo-A's-a !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sactodavey on Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 10:01 pm:

hey they r winning i am happy but can we beat anyone in the playoffs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By pachyderm on Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 10:13 pm:

Let's wait and see about October. From Lozer-azia to Lo-A's-a, great month for Esteban Loaiza aka
E-Lo.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By asch on Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 06:50 am:

Good to see some good work from EL and positive posts. I still think the signing was a good one and had thought so from the beginning. He's somewhere in the middle between his poor beginning and great past 7 starts. If that's true, the signing is STILL a smart one considering how expensive pitching is nowadays.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 10:56 am:

Jay, love the BANJO post!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Monday, August 28, 2006 - 10:04 pm:

Another GREAT OUTING BY LOAIZA tonight.

7 IP, 5 hits, 0 ERs, BB, 4 Ks.

Last 6 outings for Loaiza..

-6 GS, 4-0, 42.2 IP, 37 hits, 7 ER, 4 BBs, 31 Ks, 1.48 ERA, 0.96 WHIP.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Monday, August 28, 2006 - 10:19 pm:

He may be worth the money after all!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By asch on Tuesday, August 29, 2006 - 07:45 am:

I stand by my original thoughts on this deal and I never gave up on the guy. Again, he's pitching way better than he is - and when he sucked, he was much worse than he is. EL is in the middle and that may just even out with all the great outings he's having now. KEEP IT UP!

Another solid outing like this and he could be around 4.60ERA for the year. I expected him to be in the range of 3.80-4.50. If he's in that range and we win games he pitches, the money spent on him is very worth it considering the costs of pitching these days.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Tuesday, August 29, 2006 - 10:47 pm:

Well you must've been in the small minority. I was alright with his signing but when he was struggling bad for most of the season and then his DUI, looked like he was a bust both on and off the field but in August he just turned it around.

Loaiza has been better this month than even the most optimistic backer would've thought.

Hell, could he even be a candidate for AL Pitcher of the Month? Look at those #s and you could make a strong argument. Who would've ever thought that? Wonder who was the last SP for the A's to win that award, you'd think either Harden or Zito did it last year especially when the A's were hot right when they acquired Payton's bat.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By asch on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 07:06 am:

I was in the small minority. I remember where I was when I heard about the signing: I was in the parking lot of my grocery store and it was announced on ESPN radio. I first heard his name, our team and then 3 years at 21million. At first, I thought, that's a bit too much jack. BUT then I thought some more: I knew loiaza pretty well from the last few years from playing fantasy baseball, he's one of those pitchers that people pick up for a few starts and drop - he's average to slightly above average. I know he pitched very well at home last year. This signing was right after the Burnett deal and I knew SP was getting blown out of the water. To me, 7 million a year for a veteran guy who can throw innings, has been around the league before and has decent (not excellent) stuff, and who I expected, as I mentioned, to have about a 3.80 - 4.50 era, was a very smart move for this club. I figred zito would probably be gone and Zito will cost more than 2x what EL gets paid. IF EL pitches to about that era range, well, then Zito is NOT twice as good as Zito - I figured there is certainly a drop off, but that it wouldn't kill us.

I read all the posts back during the signing - not many people were happy about it - thought it was too much dough etc. But wait till this offseason, when Zito gets a TON of dough, all SP contracts will start getting even more insane. Beane kind of went out and made sure he'd get one last "reasonably" price veteran pitcher.

Don't hold me hold me to this, but I think the first year of his deal is slightly less than the final 2 (it is, I just checked, it's 6mil, 7mil, 8 mil and a 7.5 mil option for 2009). Too me, this looked great: if he pitched well this year, he COULD be moved afterwards if some young pitcher panned out for us cheaper or if we retained zito. That would mean EL would cost someone else $15 mill over 2 years. Not cheap, but not ridiculous in this salary climate. We could keep him for 2 years and then he only costs another team 8 million for the 3rd year. I felt that the deal was more than reasonable to keep, but easily moved. SP is always in high demand and his cost is somewhat reasonable, as I mentioned, in this current SP market - a veteran guy, always needed.

I got as scared as anyone when he stunk - I wanted to punch him. But he's pitched very well recently. So I am still happy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 09:52 am:

Speaking of TONS of dough, the Astros extended Roy Oswalt for five-years, $73 million. Zito's price just went way up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By asch on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 10:19 am:

Which again makes the EL deal look better and better. This was a great move by Beane.

Zito is GOING to be a better pitcher in the NL - he could be 'dominant' there. Oswalt gets almost 15 mill/year. Zito's gotta be easily at $17 million / year EASILY.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By washfan38 on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 11:05 am:

Yeah but Z can't hit:)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By givedaddy5 on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 11:41 am:

Why did Zito's price go way up? Oswalt's deal is an average of 14.6 mill per year and he is head and shoulders above Zito. Zito will get about 15 million per year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oakland_j on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 06:18 pm:

Yeah, Oswalt is better than Zito. I think whoever signs Zito to a huge contract will probably regret it. Remember he plays in a pitcher's park and the A's play rediculously good defense.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By asch on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 06:30 pm:

Because that was an extension - Z is a FREE AGENT. meaning, only houston could negotiate. Zito can negotiate with anyone.

I think Zito will get a bigger deal than Oswalt.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rayfossefan on Thursday, August 31, 2006 - 01:02 pm:

personally, i think the SF giants are going to go after zito. schmidt is leaving and they are desperate for SP. plus, Zito loves SF and the bay area. I'm sure he would give the NL quite a bit of trouble.

i'd love for him to stay with the A's, but I know there's a big chance he won't. always gonna love the guy no matter where he goes. i think he has had a few up and down years but overall his career numbers are awesome. plus, some of those years his numbers were very close to previous good years just lacking the W-L record.

perhaps oswalt is better but he's a different type of pitcher.

zito is durable and can eat innings. he has a huge arsenal of pitches and is a smart pitcher. he also has absolutely no fear and nothing rattles the guy. yet he has fun and doesn't take himself too seriously... (perhaps only his guitar playing!) seriously, he's a great kind of player to have on your team.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By washfan38 on Thursday, August 31, 2006 - 01:29 pm:

Well like I said on another thread they get our Barry we get their's, shudder the thought!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oakland_j on Thursday, August 31, 2006 - 03:57 pm:

If they were going to dish out that kind of money for a SP, wouldn't they just resign Schmidt?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Thursday, August 31, 2006 - 04:15 pm:

I think Zito just wants to go to a bigger market and the two most likely markes for him are NYC or LA.

Can't see him resigning to stay in the Bay Area and spend his career in a place that really isn't baseball crazy or gives him a high enough profile in the media.

NYC and LA can give him that and if I had to put money on it, that's where I'd guess he'll sign a few months from now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktown06 on Thursday, August 31, 2006 - 11:56 pm:

Ya never know, the giants will have lots of money to spend once they dump Bonds. They could pretty much sign Schmidt and Z with all the elders they have.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Friday, September 01, 2006 - 02:31 am:

Zito wants to go to a bigger market, the Bay Area isn't gonna give him the media he wants to promote his skills.

Zito I'd bet on it will go to NYC or LA.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By pachyderm on Friday, September 01, 2006 - 10:30 am:

Plus, NYC or LA gives Zito more opportunities at his acting or music career. Personally, Zito would sign with the Padres before signing with SF, if the big market don't give him offer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rayfossefan on Friday, September 01, 2006 - 10:50 am:

well, looks like i'm not the only one with this thought:

"Zito would fit in nicely on other side of the Bay"

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/chronicle/archive/2006/09/01/SPGOQKTJME1.DTL

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevink on Friday, September 01, 2006 - 07:02 pm:

no he wouldn't, that's a dumb idea.
the gints need to fix their farm system if they ever want to win it all. if they just sign a few high priced free agents next season to stay "competitive", they will set themselves back a few more years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Sunday, September 03, 2006 - 06:11 pm:

Wow, what can you say about Loaiza, now he did give up that early run in the 1st but then the A's scored 9 RUNS in their half of the first and even though it's not easy to pitch when you got a 8 run lead, still impressive outing for Loaiza.

This makes it 5 GREAT OUTINGS IN A ROW for Loaiza where he's given up 1 or less runs.

-5 GS, 4-0, 38.2 IP, 25 hits, 3 ERs, 4 BBs, 27 Ks, 0.70 ERA.

This is as impressive of a 5 game stretch as I could remember.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sactofan on Sunday, September 03, 2006 - 07:57 pm:

Just imagine if they had Harden all year too! Loaiza is amazing. He and Kendall qualify for the "who woulda thunk" award!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By pachyderm on Sunday, September 03, 2006 - 08:58 pm:

If the A'S had Harden all year with Loaiza's current success is a scary thought for the rest of AL. "who woulda thunk" award is a great idea for those two guys.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktown06 on Monday, September 04, 2006 - 01:05 am:

Beane thunk and he thunk well...glass went from half empty to half full for all the haters...sacto.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Monday, September 04, 2006 - 04:28 am:

Was AL Pitcher of the Month announced yet for August?

I think Loaiza would've had a good chance with the #s he put up.

4-0, 1.48 ERA, 0.91 WHIP in 6 GS.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By pachyderm on Tuesday, September 05, 2006 - 03:01 pm:

It's official E-Lo is the AL Pither of the Month of August. Here is the article from MLB.com:
http://oakland.athletics.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20060905&content_id=1646753&vkey=pr_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 09:58 pm:

Well after that bad outing he had against TB, Loaiza pitched like he did in Aug. Brilliantly.

-7 IP, 3 hits, 2 ERs, BB, 5 Ks.

If the A's do make the playoffs, you gotta believe Loaiza would be the #3 SP behind Zito and Haren.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By pachyderm on Saturday, September 16, 2006 - 10:57 am:

All three have post season experience, which always a plus.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By gts5js2@search.com on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 05:01 am:

Authentication Error

Your username/password combination was invalid, or you do not have permission to post to this topic. You may revise your username and password using the form at the bottom of this page.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.