Guidelines
    Help
Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

How on Earth is Swisher not an All-Star?!?

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: How on Earth is Swisher not an All-Star?!?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rayfossefan on Sunday, April 30, 2006 - 12:00 pm:

Another HUGE home run today!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Sunday, April 30, 2006 - 12:56 pm:

Both he and Chavez should be all stars...they're carrying this offense for the team

Too bad the rest of the A's batting order currently, nobody else is hitting over .250, not even Kotsay.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By asch on Sunday, April 30, 2006 - 03:17 pm:

there is no way an athletics player gets voted in this year or any other in the near future. Sad but true. Our only hope is ONE of them gets in via the manager.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Sunday, April 30, 2006 - 03:31 pm:

Well the two most likley Chavez and Swisher...aren't gonna get any love support. Chavez isn't gonna be ARod and NO WAY Swisher get voted ahead of the likes of Vlad, Ichiro, Manny, and the NYY OFs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By renobill on Sunday, April 30, 2006 - 04:12 pm:

I'm afraid Swish is gonna have to pay more dues. The east coast media will make sure of that.

I predict the A's lone All Star will be Chavy as selected by the Manager per MLB rules requiring one representative per team minimum. :(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By drumme510 on Sunday, April 30, 2006 - 04:29 pm:

Is manager is gonna be Guillen?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By drumme510 on Sunday, April 30, 2006 - 04:31 pm:

sorry i had a brain fart: "is manager is".
Let me rephrase in English- Is the AL manager going to be Ozzie Guillen?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By yc2578 on Sunday, April 30, 2006 - 04:50 pm:

Yes the manager is Guillen. Remember as of a couple of years ago the back ups and pitchers are picked by the players and then the manager has I believe five selections for "need" players (i.e. filling any one player team picks). Anyways it's waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too early to think about All-Star picks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Sunday, April 30, 2006 - 08:26 pm:

The ballots are already available online!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By pachyderm on Monday, May 01, 2006 - 09:46 am:

Swisher needs to be written in, if he going to be an All Star. Similar to Byrnes, which lead him to on the final roster list.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By yc2578 on Monday, May 01, 2006 - 10:05 am:

Actually it had nothing to do with it. No one has ever been written on to the All-Star team by the fans. Byrnes ended up on the five player, final spot voting list after the rosters were announced but that was chosen by MLB which the fans then vote on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By raiderjohn on Monday, May 01, 2006 - 12:57 pm:

This is really early, even if you're in last place of your fantasy league, way too early to give up. I think we'll get a clearer picture in June if Swish is all star worthy. If he hits a 2-3 week bad period you can forget it, if he stays reasonably consistent, get into late June with at least a 290 average and 20 jacks, he will get in.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 01:34 pm:

Swisher with another good game...BB and scored in the 1st and then an RBI double in the 2nd.

Hitting .323 and now is 26 RBIs is tied for 3rd most in the AL.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By raiderjohn on Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 02:10 pm:

Consistency into mid June should do it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 05:26 pm:

After today's game Swisher's stats ranked in the AL only though not counting the other AL players games today....

-.330 BA.....top 15 in the AL.
-10 hrs....tied for 2nd in the AL.
-28 RBIs.....1st in the AL.
-27 runs...2nd in the AL.
-31 hits...top 20 in the AL.

Swisher should get HUGE push from A's fans like they did in 2000 for Giambi....it'd be a shame to see Swisher put up great numbers by the time the all star break hits and he isn't elected to at least a backup in the ALL STAR GAME.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 05:29 pm:

Also add in that with his 3 BBs, he's in the top 3 or 4 in that category in the AL.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By yc2578 on Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 07:44 pm:

Again we as fans will have no impact on Swisher making the team. He isn't on the ballot and the back ups are chosen by the players. We only have a chance to vote him in is if he ends up on the last man ballot but a Yankee or Red Sox player always wins that. Also it is again way too early to be talking about the All-Star team. Swisher could go into a month long slump for all we know. Jason Kendall could hit .450 the rest of the first half and end up the A's rep...okay maybe not.

Swisher is no where near the league lead in walks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By casper9559 on Friday, May 05, 2006 - 03:31 am:

LOL...yc...nice Kendall stab.... he is however appearing in the next WWE Royal Rumble and is the projected winner.

Anyways...I have a feeling about Swish this year. He's something special. The guys is really seeing the ball and showing signs of a truely consistant hitter. The BBs yesterday...the 2 doubles...he isnt swinging for the fence. He seems to have matured into the player B.B. expected him to be. I think he'll make it on the All-Star team this year along with Chavez. If Harden didnt get hurt, he'd be there too. Here is my bold prediction. Not only does Swish make the All-Star team...but he participates in the HOMERUN DERBY as well. YOU HEARD IT HERE FIRST!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By threepeat on Friday, May 05, 2006 - 08:34 am:

yc- Are you sure about your facts? You state,"no one has ever been written onto the All Star team by the fans". A poster on another board writes," Walt Weiss made the all star team as a write in way back in the day when he was a rook and there have been a few others.......While it is a long shot to do it, you can still make the All Star team as a write in." There seems to be much disagreement on the question as to whether or not Swish Can be added to the All Star team via fan write ins.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By yc2578 on Friday, May 05, 2006 - 10:03 am:

Walt Weiss never made it to an All-Star team as a member of the A's. He only made it with the Braves in 1998.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/w/weisswa01.shtml

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By threepeat on Friday, May 05, 2006 - 10:32 am:

Ok, but that's not the question. Has there ever been a player make an All Star team due to fan write ins? You say no-others disagree. I guess the question could be- Does MLB count write in votes on All Star ballots? I don't know.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By yc2578 on Friday, May 05, 2006 - 12:04 pm:

Actually that was part of the question as you were stating that someone said that it has happened before and that Weiss was an example which was not true. After some quick research only Rico Carty in 1970 and Steve Garvey in 1974 are the only players to ever make the All-Star team as a starter as a write in candidate. So it has happened but it is extremely rare and given that it last happened 32 years ago I would say that the current voting makes it impossible to do so.

Once again there are three ways Swisher can make the team: A) selected as a reserve by the players B) selected as a "need" player by Ozzie Guillen C) voted in by the fans on the final man ballot

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By threepeat on Friday, May 05, 2006 - 02:06 pm:

And D) IT IS POSSIBLE that a strong write-in campaign could net Swish a spot on the All Star team. Unlikely, I agree, but possible if MLB counts write-in votes on the ballots as the other poster claims. It is obvious that he was mistaken about Weiss making the All Star team as a rookie and as a result of write-in votes. Thanks for clearing that part up.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.