Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

BF Joe Blanton

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: BF Joe Blanton

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jesse (63.81.142.251) on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 04:49 pm:

the hardest thing in the world to do is admit you were wrong, well its time I admit that I was wrong about Joe Blanton. He is an invaluable asset to our team.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rayfossefan (75.24.203.34) on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 06:59 pm:

is it? he just lost the lead for us!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jerryo1 (71.198.21.6) on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 07:17 pm:

We've never had the lead in this game, RFF.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rayfossefan (75.24.203.34) on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 07:20 pm:

well, he gave up the momentum... how's that?

hey, i can dream can't i?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jesse (71.202.159.49) on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 07:32 pm:

I jinxed him.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rayfossefan (75.24.203.34) on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 07:33 pm:

anyway you can jinx the white sox bullpen and their offense as well while you're at it? cheers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay (207.200.116.200) on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 09:20 pm:

Well, there are about 29 other teams who would be happy to take "mediocre" Joe Blanton off our hands. Don't know what you've been watching when he's pitching but this is about the only bad outing he's had this year. And from where I am sitting, we can thank Swisher's and Dan Johnson's defense for a large portion of that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By renobill (71.94.19.188) on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 09:55 pm:

Agree.
JB should have received better support from his D tonite and frankly, should have a stellar overall season win total with better O support to date.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (76.202.79.84) on Sunday, May 27, 2007 - 06:06 pm:

Really you jinxed Blanton.

Two straight bad outings now and not against two of the better lineups at this point of the season in ChiSox and BAL.

Even though Blanton is 4-3 with a 4.28 ERA now, those # sounds about right for what most thought Blanton would be record wise, he should have at least another 2 or 3 wins...as does most of the A's starting rotation if the offense wasn't mediocre for most of the season.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dgaddy1 (71.65.42.164) on Saturday, June 23, 2007 - 06:15 pm:

WTF!!!!

Why can't we score any runs for Big Joe?

He and Haren are the best that we can throw out there every 5 days.

It's got to be so frustrating to pitch the way he does and get little or no support.

Hang in there Big joe!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dgaddy1 (71.65.42.164) on Saturday, June 23, 2007 - 06:16 pm:

Top of the eigth.

Let's score some f-ing runs!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sactofan (71.193.31.150) on Saturday, June 23, 2007 - 06:53 pm:

not to be. What a shame.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn (71.131.43.20) on Saturday, June 23, 2007 - 06:54 pm:

Blanton pitched a helluva game. I didn't have a good feeling as the game progressed. Casilla has been so good, he was bound to have a bad outing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (76.221.203.140) on Saturday, June 23, 2007 - 07:58 pm:

Last 5 starts for Blanton...

4 ERs in his last 39.1 IP

...yet he's only 3-2.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay (207.200.116.200) on Saturday, June 23, 2007 - 09:07 pm:

Blanton has really come of age this year. Next to Haren, he is their best pitcher. Essentially, he's gone from #5 to #4 to #3 to #2 over a period of less than two seasons. It is past time for the A's to give him an extended contract.

A stat the guys put up on tv tonite, I found very interesting. He is 3rd in all of baseball in terms of percentage of the number of 1,2,3 innings pitched per game.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (75.61.82.73) on Sunday, June 24, 2007 - 12:04 am:

Is Blanton a #2 is the question this season or in immediate future. Stuff wise, he doesn't have great stuff, what a 91 or 92 MPH fastball at best. Think he's a very good #3.

#1-Haren..ACE.

#2-?

#3-Blanton..pitching much better than last year, maybe get the same amount of wins, around 16, but everything else is better from ERA, WHIP, BA against, and etc.

#4-Gaudin..expecting him to slow down the second half.

#5-Loaiza..if he comes back will be back in the rotation.

Now who is the #2? Harden is the likely candidate IF he can stay healthy and start the remainder of the season.

Next season or and in 09 or 10, can see Haren(1), Blanton(3), Gaudin(4), Meyer/Simmons(5). Will a Cahill, Lansford, Italiano, Mazzaro and the other young arms in the lower minors become a Harden type pitcher when he first arrived in 03 and have top of the rotation type ability.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay (207.200.116.200) on Sunday, June 24, 2007 - 07:19 am:

Obviously, if Harden can get and stay healthy ... IF ... then Haren, Harden are #s 1 and 2. Without Harden, it's Blanton, hands down, going with the present staff. Unless and until Harden is healthy, one can hardly justify including him. As for the future, so far the Lansford, Italiano, Mazzaro group are doing nothing to get excited over. Meyer is a different story, if he can stay healthy and keeps getting his arm strength back. If he does, I can see him as a #3, possibly; but that, too, is too early to project.

I'm talking about the here and now and not counting on Harden's longterm healthy return. Blanton is easily their #2 guy right now. As far as his "stuff," others say the same thing about it not being great. Well, whatever he is throwing up there, mixed in with his two different curves and sinker, is working pretty darn good. Command and control is prime. A lot of pitchers have good stuff, but command and control must be there, and for many of those guys with good stuff, it's not. Thankfully, for Haren, it is.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (76.221.201.80) on Sunday, June 24, 2007 - 10:58 am:

I think Blanton is the #2 too right now easily. I just think he's better suited long term to be a #3.

As for Harden, if he were able to stay healthy the remainder of this season...a 1-2-3 of Haren-Harden-Blanton at the top of this rotation IMO is as good as any in MLB. Just too bad you can't rely on Harden.

Honestly, do the A's see Harden as a A beyond this season..hell do they see him an A beyond the trade deadline especially if a team is offering an above average major league ready prospect in return if Harden pitches like he did when this season started before the deadline hits.

Meyer, he finally looks for the FIRST TIME with the A's as the pitching prospect that he was when they traded for him. But don't think he's much higher than a #5 at best whenever he reaches the majors.

As for the young arms in the lower minors...yeah, injuries and inconsistancies for those young arms doesn't look good as of now but they're all what, 2 years removed from high school so I expect them to keep developing over the next two or three years. Will all of them become legit big leaguers, I'd probably bet against it, but I think one or two will become part of this rotation in the future. As of now, Cahill is performing the best out of the bunch at KC with a 3-1 record with 33 Ks in 29.1 IP and 3.94 ERA and he pitched great his last outing pitching 7 scoreless innings.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (76.202.76.9) on Tuesday, July 03, 2007 - 09:54 pm:

Another typical Blanton performance.

Short, just over 2 hours, and impressive with his 3rd CG this season which ties him for the MLB lead and is tops in the AL.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay (207.200.116.200) on Wednesday, July 04, 2007 - 07:48 am:

Blanton leads the AL with complete games (3) and home ERA (1.69). A number 2 or 3 starter, it doesn't matter, the guy is a combination of horse and bulldog. He told Geren last night when he came out there, "This is my game and I want it." But he also said that if he was gassed, he would have been honest with him and told him. I think it is great to have two young pitchers (Haren and Blanton) who are both bulldog and horses. Oh yeh, they have pretty good stuff, too.

I agree with Cust, Blanton could have been on the All-Star squad along with any of the guys who made it. Halladay is having a down year; Blanton would have definitely been the better and more deserving choice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dorrit (207.69.139.154) on Wednesday, July 04, 2007 - 09:30 am:

FINALLY..the team supported Blanton last night.Great night for baseball. Just got off the plane,and went straight to the game from Oakland Airport!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (76.202.77.65) on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 10:47 pm:

Where is this talk about trading Blanton coming from? I heard on Extra Innings, something I rarely listen to nowadays, hell the past 2-3 years really, and they're mentioning about maybe trading Blanton since he's coming up for arb.

Blanton ranks...

-1st in the AL with 3 CGs.
-1st in the AL with 142 IP.
-7th in the AL with a 1.12 WHIP.
-11th in the AL with a 3.36 ERA, Beckett is 10th with a 3.35 ERA.

Those were his #s before tonight's bad start. Why trade a guy who can win you 14-16 games a year and won 28 games these first two seasons.

Baun mentioned maybe trading Blanton for Milledge? I like Milledge and love the idea of trading for him but not for Blanton. Don't trade a #3 who can win in the mid teens for a RH stick with potential but is very raw still.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (76.231.45.133) on Saturday, September 15, 2007 - 02:05 pm:

Anybody else maybe having second thoughts on trading Blanton. He's been very hot since AUG.

He's 5-1 with 3.63 ERA. In 6 of the 8 starts, he's given up 2 ERs or less and taking out those two bad starts, he has a 1.67 ERA.

Guess this could be his stock is back to being pretty damn good after struggling around the break or that it could be a mistake since he's the best A's pitcher the past two months.

Blanton in team rankings is 2nd behind only Haren(14) with 13 wins but 1st in IP, WHIP, and CG.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (76.231.45.133) on Saturday, September 15, 2007 - 02:12 pm:

Lets say Blanton is eventually traded like some speculate in some sort of package deal. You'd think Beane would try to get a major league ready SP along with a positonal prospect, sort of like what he got for Mulder with Barton/Haren although dont' think they'll get as lucky with the Cards as they will this offseason for whoever they potentially deal Blanton to.

What would the rotation look like in 08?

-Haren no doubt is the #1 no matter what happens.

-Gaudin probably here, IMO said he always a #4 type SP, he was gonna wear down the second half and it happened. IF he can give this team 12-14 wins with a low-mid 4 ERA, I'd take that from him.

-DiNardo even though he's struggled lately has shown he could be a decent #5 for a few years.

Who does that leave? Meyer probably will be given a shot even though his first two starts have been bad although wasn't hit hard last night just a lot of bloop hits. Harden? Well you know the story.

Is that the rotation?

Haren
Harden
Gaudin
DiNardo
Meyer

eek!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (76.231.45.133) on Saturday, September 15, 2007 - 02:19 pm:

Correction on the potential rotation from the last thread..

Haren
Harden
Gaudin
DiNardo/Meyer
SP prospect you get in the Blanton deal

You'd also think that Simmons will start next year in AAA and could be up here by midseason, maybe sooner?

I don't know if there is anybody else ready in AAA next year? Are the likes of Komine and Windsor done?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By renobill (71.94.31.44) on Saturday, September 15, 2007 - 11:21 pm:

I don't want any A's ML pitching traded away, period.

I do want to see the following:

BB, re-sign Stewart.

Trade Crosby and an AAA pitcher to Baltimore and bring back Miggy.

Stew, Kots, Buck, and Babe battle for OF PT. Swish settles in at first.
Barton DHs

Stewart
Barton
Swisher
Tejada
Cust
Ellis
Chavy
Suzuki
Buck/Kotsay

Scooter, Bowen, Murphy, Snelling

Harden
Haren
Blanton
Gaudin
DiNardo +

Lugo
Bleven +
Brown
Duke
Street
Embree +

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay (207.200.116.200) on Sunday, September 16, 2007 - 03:47 am:

Forget Miggy ... I'd love to have him, but ... he is owed something like $29mil, so it sure isn't going to happen in Oakland, not even for half that. I'd say the chances he gets dealt to anybody are pretty remote. Also, he has lost some range.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (75.61.80.40) on Sunday, September 16, 2007 - 08:19 am:

If you want Miggi back, it certainly won't be for Crosby and one of our AAA pitchers, hell, couldn't get much for that combo anyways, let alone Tejada even though he isn't what he was just two years ago.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By raiderjohn (65.168.177.49) on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 04:03 pm:

Who did the Angels offer and was rebuffed, Brandon Wood, Ervin Santana?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (75.61.92.10) on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 04:51 pm:

Wow, did that trade really get offered by the LAA for Tejada. If BAL rejected that, why?

Wood, although maybe was a bit overrated from where he was thought of as a prospect a few years back and Santana, even though he's struggled, he's what only 22 or 23 and still has a lot of potential at least as a 14 or 15 game winner for the next decade although him pitching in the AL East could be a struggle.

For a team looking for young talent, BAL's farm system isn't highly ranked even though they've had high picks for it seems the past decade. You get a chance to land two pretty good young talents and you pass it up to keep Tejada a very good player who won't be around when you eventually turn it around.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn (71.131.34.66) on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 05:22 pm:

From Urban's mailbag, FWIW:

Q. Could you please explain why the A's seem so anxious to move Joe Blanton? He is only 27. He leads the staff in innings pitched (and has been right around 200 innings the past two seasons) and complete games. His ERA is under 4.00, a good number in the American League. He has the team's only shutout, and he nearly always keeps the team in the game. Seems to me they should be seriously considering signing him to a long-term deal to keep him in Oakland rather than trading him. I realize he has some trade value, but strong, steady young pitchers with numbers such as his don't grow on trees. What, in your opinion, is behind the trade talk?
--Robert K., Ceres, Calif.

A. I wouldn't say the A's are eager to trade Blanton, for all the reasons you outlined. From what I hear, the talks with the Dodgers right before the deadline were initiated by Los Angeles, and I haven't heard of any other Blanton-centric talks since.

But keep in mind that any general manager worth his salt is going to listen when a team wants to talk about one of his players. And when you find a team that seems a little bit desperate, as the Dodgers were for pitching at the time, you'd be negligent if you didn't try to squeeze a sweetheart deal out of them. That, from what I've heard, is what Billy Beane did. And when the Dodgers didn't give him the farm, the talks broke off.

The A's love Blanton. But nobody on this team is untouchable.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By raiderjohn (65.168.177.49) on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 10:37 am:

Urban makes sense here. Thanks for posting this.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.