Help
Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

MELHUSE!!!!

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: MELHUSE!!!!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rayfossefan on Wednesday, May 10, 2006 - 04:47 pm:

I know I have bagged on Macha for using Melhuse as a PH extraordinaire (with some disappointing results) but a another big HR right now... man I have forgotton what it's like to have a catcher hit for power! Melhuse is a good hitter and I like the game he calls (even though it didn't work for Blanton haha)

more starts for Melhuse!!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Wednesday, May 10, 2006 - 05:00 pm:

It was bad enough that the A's didn't score when they had a chance in the 1st, but then the deluge. How bad is Blanton today???

Terrific that Melhuse hit a HR. How does that taste, JK?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Wednesday, May 10, 2006 - 05:04 pm:

OK, now we're getting somewhere!!! Kotsay and Thomas both with homers!! 6-5 now!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Wednesday, May 10, 2006 - 05:14 pm:

Kendall-.244, 8 runs, 0 hrs, 7 RBIs, .653 OPS in 82 ABs.

Melhuse-.333, 3 runs, 2 hrs, 7 RBIs, .700+ OPS in 30 ABs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By finleyunplugged on Wednesday, May 10, 2006 - 05:21 pm:

Is there any way we can get MLB on the line and see if they can extend this suspension?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rayfossefan on Wednesday, May 10, 2006 - 05:26 pm:

ROFLMAO!!!!

kendall is probably doing shots in a downtown Toronto bar!!!! probably hoping he doesn't get a phone call on his cell that says "Beane" on the caller ID!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By vegasj on Wednesday, May 10, 2006 - 05:30 pm:

Funny how a guy who hasn't homered in two and a half years is calling out baseball's manhood.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jaykva1 on Wednesday, May 10, 2006 - 07:49 pm:

Milhouse !! Milhouse !! Milhouse !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sactofan on Wednesday, May 10, 2006 - 11:02 pm:

great post vegasj!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By drumme510 on Thursday, May 11, 2006 - 07:57 am:

Melhuse's strike out in the ninth last night reminded me of the 2003 playoffs... Swing the bat Mehluse!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By raiderjohn on Thursday, May 11, 2006 - 09:09 am:

I wish we can combine Melhuse's pop and Kendall's game calling. I think that was the difference last night. Would Blanton have been rocked as bad as he was with Kendall behind the dish? I would not think so. Blanton and Haren had great years a year ago and some of the credit goes to Kendall. I wouldn't mind seeing Melhuse back there with Harden, Zito or Loaiza because they're vets.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By drumme510 on Thursday, May 11, 2006 - 09:55 am:

Good point

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Tuesday, May 16, 2006 - 10:26 pm:

Hard to keep Melhuse out of the lineup when he's hitting this well.

Kendall looks as he maybe turning the corner a bit in his offensive game, BUT if there is one guy who should be worried, you'd think it'd be DJ who is sitll struggling this season after what I thought he had turned the corner a few weeks ago but his BA is still under .200 and his power hasn't been there all season long.

Look at their #s, would Macha put Melhuse at 1B which he has played before in the past and bench DJ?

Melhuse-.311, 5 runs, 3 hrs, 12 RBIs in 45 ABs.
Kendall-.269, 8 runs, 0 hrs, 11 RBIs in 93 ABs.
DJ-.180, 10 runs, 1 hr, 5 RBIs in 100 ABs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By washfan38 on Tuesday, May 16, 2006 - 11:14 pm:

Stick Melhuse at 1st, demote Johnson to SAC & bring up JB as the back-up catcher.

Yes, Kendall's light bat gets bagged on rightfully so but he was only one RBI off of Mel and just missed a double late in the 9th that wouyld have scored the runner from 1st.

WTF was Macha doing pulling Blanton after 83 pitches!!? Big fat is just cruising along getting hitters out and then BAM!! 4 runs outta nowhere! I was really getting freaked out that the BP was gonna F this game up.

Welcome back Karsay!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By pachyderm on Wednesday, May 17, 2006 - 10:48 am:

Mel-HUGE hits the Grand Slam thanks to Jim Leyritz of MLB Radio who jinx the King Felix by saying, "Hernandez will dominate tonight." If the "Big Hurt" feel better tonight, it may mean no Melhuse tonight according to A'S site. Uh no.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By asch on Wednesday, May 17, 2006 - 10:57 am:

I posted this elsewhere, but when Melhuse is in, he hits. But we don't stick him at DH enough cause he's the back up catcher. Maybe right now, he's more valuable to us as a DH than on the bench as an emergency back up!

I gotta think if we have a catcher in the minors who can back up (and when I mean backup, I mean, behind Melhuse - more as a 3rd catcher) and allow Melhuse to be in the lineup more. Do we have a catcher in the minors who can also play, say, 3b or 1b or OF? The main reason we don't use Melhuse at DH is cause we need him during a game for kendall if he leaves. But at that point, we could insert the 3rd catcher. Melhuse needs more ab's and the fact that he's stuck on the bench MAINLY cause he's are b/u catcher is starting to show problems.

I mean, do we need 6 OF's on this team!!?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By washfan38 on Wednesday, May 17, 2006 - 11:06 am:

Asch,

No, no, no, bro call up Jeremy Brown as the 2nd catcher. Melhuse 1B/DH...there is no excuse for Johnson hitting below .200 this far into the season.

Also whenever we face the Mariners' Hernandez can we make sure Blanton oposes him.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jaykva1 on Wednesday, May 17, 2006 - 11:39 am:

SWINDALL actually hit a ball to a major-league warning track, er, I mean if Ibanez hadn't caught it in the 9th !!

seeing how Ibanez (and every other ML outfielder) plays SWINDALL at little-league depth Raul had to get on his 'Caballo' to track that one down.

I will fondly remember the ONLY time this season that SWINDALL hit a ball ALMOST to the warning track !!

still, I would think SWINDALL would be in the top 5 of any Little-League Home-Run hitting contest.

I'd put him up against the best 12-year-olds that the World has to offer this August in Williamsport.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sactofan on Wednesday, May 17, 2006 - 12:35 pm:

I think there is a major flaw in Macha's and others' thinking about the need to keep Melhuse on the bench as a backup catcher. Say he is DH and Kendall gets hurt (or ejected). So we bring in Melhuse to catch and lose the DH. Assuming it's sometime into the game, that means there would be maybe 2 ABs where either the pitcher would bat or we pinch hit. Now figure in the batting average of Kendall versus the pitcher batting (which is basically the tradeoff) and it's at most one less hit in the whole damn game. And most likely it would work out to use a pinch hitter anyway. So I really think it is much ado about very little and should definitly NOT be the reason to sit Melhuse on the bench.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By washfan38 on Wednesday, May 17, 2006 - 03:59 pm:

Jay,

You are wrong sir, a few weeks ago in April Swindall did indeed hit a long shot to deep center caught right at the wall. Woulda been a dinger had we been in Houston:)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jaykva1 on Wednesday, May 17, 2006 - 05:48 pm:

washfan .... I realize that you are lead counsel on the Jason SWINDALL defense team ;), but the way the Houston's park is configured -- 435-feet -- to center .... SWINDALL's alleged 'blast' -- and I use the term 'blast' loosely -- would've fallen softly into the glove of any number of defenders !!

I'll gladly eat my words when SWINDALL next ... leaves the yard !!

and by 'leaving the yard' I don't mean walking from his front door to his car to exit his driveway !!

Go A's !! Go Milhouse !! Go Beer !!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.