Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

Charging the Mound and Scuffles

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: Charging the Mound and Scuffles
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bunnybehindhome on Saturday, May 13, 2006 - 04:21 pm:

Okay, this is a little late, but I just thought of this the other day:

When Kendall charged the mound on May 2, there was one out and the bases were loaded: Thomas was on third; Crosby was on second; and Johnson, who had just been walked, was on first.

I assume that Kendall did not turn to the home plate umpire and call time out before deciding to charge the mound. I also assume that the A's baserunners ran over to help out in the skirmish once they saw their catcher being tag-teamed by Lackey and Mathis. (I didn't see the game, nor did I get to see any replays, so I really don't know what transpired other than what I've read online. In one online picture, though, I can see Crosby pushing an Angel player as he tries to get to the trio of Lackey/Kendall/Mathis. Frank Thomas seems to be in the background, also near the mound area.)

Now, what if during the scuffle Edgardo Alfonso, the Angel third-baseman, decided to pick up the ball and tag Thomas and Crosby? Would they have been ruled out?

For that matter, if Thomas had decided to make a run for it from third base and stepped on home plate while Lackey and Mathis were hitched up with Kendall, would his run have counted?

Or is there an unwritten "skirmish" rule in baseball that says the ball--and play--is dead during a player scuffle on the field involving both teams?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By washfan38 on Saturday, May 13, 2006 - 05:55 pm:

And I thought I had way to much time on my hands:)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.