Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

AL Worst

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: AL Worst
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By finleyunplugged on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 12:10 pm:

Anyone notice the entire division has sub .500 records at home? Hard to stomach I know, but this division may supplant the NL Worst for Worst of the Worst this year.

Good for the A's I suppose, but all these teams have serious flaws.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevink on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 01:14 pm:

Yep.
I wouldn't be too fooled by the NL West though, the Padres are on a tear but will come back to earth, Colorado may be a .500 team but I'm not buying much more than that, the Giants are awful without bonds in the lineup and mediocre with him, the Dodgers probably have the best chance but they still need pitching help.

And the A's will come around- they always do about this time of year. The injuries to MBradley, Harden, and now Duke have hurt them, but Harden is back soon and hopefully Bradley and Duke are not out long.

Have faith that the A's will be the class of the West!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By leftfield139 on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 02:49 pm:

I'n not buying into The Angels being this bad

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Tuesday, May 16, 2006 - 04:55 am:

Angels might be this bad...who else in that lineup scares you other than Vlad? Anderson maybe but he's a shell of his formerself.

Cabrera and Figgens are having average seasons so far and their young hot shot youngsters in McPherson and Kotchman haven't hit at all during their time in the big leagues. Now those two might turn it around eventually but don't think it'll be this year.

Pitching wise...they're doing alright as are the A's but Colon has been out missing his last 4 or 5 starts but I guess A's fans could say the same thing with Harden. Weaver has been a huge bust. Don't know what happened to this guy cause he was a stud with the Tigers, then went to the NYY and it's been downhill ever since. I honestly thought once he got out of NYC, he'd bounceback ala what Vasquez is doing with the ChiSox after his disastrous years with the Yanks a few years back when he was maybe the best young pitcher in MLB like I thought Weaver was when he was with the Tigers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sactodavey on Tuesday, May 16, 2006 - 08:39 am:

the A's class of the west ummm... not much class in the west period.

Chicago best team in baseball period, followed by red sox ,YAnkees , Indians, Blue jays.

the A's fall behind those teams
texas will fade in the heat.

to bad we didnt get Nomar like the rumors said instead we went for the big hurt and he is true to his M.O.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Tuesday, May 16, 2006 - 09:24 am:

I was looking at the standings this morning and, sad to say, the NL West has better numbers than the AL West.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Tuesday, May 16, 2006 - 10:20 am:

Lets see how the interleague #s matchup since this year is the turn of the AL West going against the NL West...still take the AL West.

I don't know how you can call Cleveland one of the top 5 teams when they've lost 6 in a row and are 4 games under .500. Talent wise they should be better, as should the A's but if you wanna talk aobut CURRENTLY...they've been a huge dissapointment, maybe even bigger than the A's. Hell I had them winning the AL Central...don't think that's gonna happen cause the ChiSox as of now are probably the best team in the majors.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By pachyderm on Tuesday, May 16, 2006 - 11:07 am:

Most of teams shouldn't take the teams in AL West for granted since any teams can on winning streak at any time. The DL could be the worst thread to the division then other teams. The White Sox, Yankees and Red Sox will always be the class in AL, but being healthy and playing well should more concern to the teams in our division.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By raiderjohn on Tuesday, May 16, 2006 - 11:40 am:

Sea-SD
Angels-Dodgers
Giants-A's

9 games to see how good the AL West is. Only Sea-Sd seems to be cake walk for SD. I think the Angels problem is relying on youth too much....good for the A's, the only bad thing, they can spend some as the season progress.(Soriano at DH??) Mathis for Molina was a huge tradeoff as even we saw early in the season. Then you move Erstad to CF while putting Kotchman at first. AT least they didn't match it with MacPherson at 3B. Supposedly they have a SS Wood who's a big time prospect. Losing Colon is big, but the other 4 should be picking up the slack. Lackey is fine. Santana seems to be putting up nice numbes again, Weaver seems to be pitching like a last minute addition and then you add that to Carrasco and the lack or run production, it spells tough times for the Angels. The Ranges pitching is way over their heads right now, Loe, Koronka, it seems whatever the Rangers are doing, they are doing it right and it's the opposite for the Angels.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rocket on Tuesday, May 16, 2006 - 12:57 pm:

Have to agree that I am surprised how poorly the Indians have played lately.
AL West is probably better than their record, NL
West record better than they really are.

Long season yet, really see the AL/NL West having similar results by the end of the season.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jaykva1 on Tuesday, May 16, 2006 - 09:42 pm:

hey the 1987 Twins ... GAG !!

those Twinkies went 85-77 and won it ALL !!

two-and-a-half pitchers (Viola, Blyleven, Reardon) and 4 guys who could lose the ball in any park (Hrbek, Brunansky, Gaetti and Puckett) !!

pretty simple formula

I think all the A's or any AL West team will need this year is to get hot for about THREE weeks

and if any team gets hot for SIX weeks, they'll salt the division away by Sept. 1st

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.