Help
Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

Even Finley didn't like Oakland??

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: Even Finley didn't like Oakland??
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By asch on Friday, May 19, 2006 - 03:19 pm:

Reading this article on Catfish's perfecto.
"http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/5619046"

Finley in there says, regarding letting Catfish go;

"It was one of the two biggest mistakes I ever made in baseball, the other being moving the A's from Kansas City to Oakland (after the 1967 season)."

I didn't know Finley felt that way about Oakland. Does anyone have a back story on this?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jenmed on Friday, May 19, 2006 - 04:33 pm:

Finley didn't care about anything but the glorification of Charlie Finley. He was an absentee owner, and wanted to move the team again soon after moving to Oakland. He has his sites set on Denver, I believe.

He was great at judging talent, but otherwise he was a horse's ass.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jenmed on Friday, May 19, 2006 - 04:35 pm:

Oh, by the way, what a joke about LETTING Catfish go!!! As most people know, he screwed Catfish over on his contract, after which Catfish petitioned for free agency and won.

So I guess his mistake was in treating his employees like crap.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jaykva1 on Saturday, May 20, 2006 - 06:32 pm:

asch,

no talk of Kendall here !! ;}

If you haven't read or heard of it already, I suggest anyone curious about history of the A's in Oakland to read 'Champagne and Baloney'

I think it was written by tom clark and published in 1976 ... good quick read.

I don't know if it was in there (or where) but I remember reading where Finley knew (or thought he knew) that it was a mistake moving to Oakland when A's sold out the 1968 opener, then only had 5,000 fans the next night.

I think that's revisionist history on Finley's part, Finley was just pissed that KC was succeeding in the mid-70s and had a new state-of-the-art ballpark.

Finley moved because he was follwing the age-old model of baseball ownership -- attempt to extort the taxpayers for a new ballpark if you don't get it, leave OR attempt to leave -- Finley didn't succeed to get that in KC, but the Mausoleum was new at the time , built in '66 I believe.

hence, he took the team west.

Finley wouldn't have succeeded in KC either because he was one cheap bastard and wouldn't spend a dime on marketing OR the community.

He didn't want to pay to pad the outfield fence. It was plywood in the early 70s

despite all that, the A's did win 3 WS in a row, something I think will never occur again !!

Finley bought the team for $1 million and sold for $11 million I believe, despite bleeding the franchise dry, he made out OK

unrelated sidelight, I sold Charley Finley a soda at the 1982 world series in Milwaukee ... there's my brush with that Horse's Ass

le curmudgeon

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.