Help
Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

Last Stand for the Big Hurt?

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: Last Stand for the Big Hurt?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By yc2578 on Sunday, May 21, 2006 - 09:03 pm:

Thomas makes his return to Chicago tommorrow and this may be a sad end to his career. Unless he shows some signs that he isn't finished within in the next couple of weeks I think the A's will cut bait and release him.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Sunday, May 21, 2006 - 09:07 pm:

It's sure looking more and more like those who wanted Beane to go after Garciaparra, were right. So far, he is coming up huge for the Dodgers and even doing well at 1b.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevink on Sunday, May 21, 2006 - 09:23 pm:

DJ good point. Who knew? I think nearly everyone had written off Nomah.

FThomas seemed like a good gamble, but for whatever reason this is looking more like the end of the line for him. Maybe we should get him on Bonds' meds?

It reminds me a lot of David Justice when he came back with the A's after an injury.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ssblip on Sunday, May 21, 2006 - 09:51 pm:

Great points, but the reality is Oakland never would have landed Garciaparra. A friend who knows him told me he had his sights set on LA from the start. We're just going to have to jump on another rainbow looking for that pot of gold...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Sunday, May 21, 2006 - 10:35 pm:

I'd still give F.Thomas until the all star break...this first month has been basically his spring training. Power wise, he still has it with 7 hrs/20 RBIs...project it out to a 25+ hrs and 80+ RBIs in a full season and he's drawn 20 BBs which ranks 3rd behind only Swisher and Chavez.

Still think his presence alone is giving Chavez confidence cause Thomas no matter what his stats say is still a hr threat for pitchers that see him on deck.

If he eventually hits around .240, 25 hrs, 75-80 RBIs which still aren't unreasonble to project Thomas' stats by the end of September, don't think it would be a bad move. I mean who would the A's have to replace him? Melhuse or DJ? Doubt they'd call up Barton either.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jaykva1 on Sunday, May 21, 2006 - 10:43 pm:

I don't care if he hits .220, he is still a threat to lose a ball if you make a mistake.

I said to my brother -- also huge A's fan who will be in new Comiskey tomorrow night -- before the season started ... If he hits 20 and drives in 70, regardless of BA, I will be fine with Thomas' signing.

batting average is the most overrated stat in baseball.

It's about production and I believe he will still produce.

I agree with all-Star break to be a make or break time for big Frank

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By washfan38 on Sunday, May 21, 2006 - 10:48 pm:

Yeah I'd ride Hurt out until the ASB and if DJ aint hitting still call up Jeremy Brown & make Melhuse the DH back up 1st.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By asch on Monday, May 22, 2006 - 07:47 am:

jaykva1, we finally agree!!

I absolutely think that his presence alone is helping guys like Swish and chavey have nice seasons early.

Thomas is ALWAYS a threat. And while his BA is terrible, as mentioned, he does have 7 homers which is a lot more than some other guys on our club.

In a way, Thomas is like Hattey. Hattey was never a start, but he did things in our lineup to make other guys better. He always made the pitcher work. He almost always had a good ab - never cheated. While I don't think Thomas can necessarily do that, he does provide an aura that he can crush that ball at any time.

I never expected more than .250 20-25 homers. I think those thinking the guy could come back and hit for .330 and 40 homers were not fully realizing that while Frank does have skill, he's old and many of his skills have declined. He can still crush a ball. But the days of him hitting for a high average are long over. He's in there for presence at this point, more than anything else.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jesse on Monday, May 22, 2006 - 09:34 am:

When it was clear that McGwire and Sosa were done, they swung right through mistake fastballs. Frank Thomas is popping those up and flying out, I just think his timing is off. He's still got the bat speed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By raiderjohn on Monday, May 22, 2006 - 11:09 am:

I think Thomas is here for the season. I mean his presence alone is keeping the A's over 500, how were we doing a year ago? He's far from done too, when the weather heats up, he'll be fine. Now how about next year, Bonds for DH? We've had Canseco, McGwire and Giambi, why not? Price will probably be 9-10 million. Imagine the seasons Chavez and Swish would have with Bonds in there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rocket on Monday, May 22, 2006 - 11:52 am:

>>>Price will probably be 9-10 million<<<
Exactly the reason it will not happen.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Monday, May 22, 2006 - 12:01 pm:

If Bonds is going to an AL team, most likely it'd be to the LAA.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Monday, May 22, 2006 - 04:44 pm:

Hopefully the crowd in Chicago will cheer for him the first time he's AB tonight. He probably is at least in the top 2 great ChiSox players of all time...although he may have cut ties with the team on a bad note...still he didn't do a Giambi and basically ripped everything associated with the team and city.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By finleyunplugged on Monday, May 22, 2006 - 05:15 pm:

Who's the greatest ChiSox player of all time, Lamarr Hoyt?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Monday, May 22, 2006 - 05:29 pm:

How sweet is it?? Big Hurt homers in his first AB in Chicago, followed by a Crosby bomb, followed by a Payton double!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Monday, May 22, 2006 - 05:33 pm:

Couldn't write a better script for Thomas....where the hell was this offense this past weekend!?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By asch on Monday, May 22, 2006 - 05:41 pm:

did they boo or cheer him when he came up to bat?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sactofan on Monday, May 22, 2006 - 05:43 pm:

and then Kendall kept the rally going -- NOT!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By finleyunplugged on Monday, May 22, 2006 - 05:46 pm:

Hey it says here Ozzie Guillen just got ejected by Doug Eddings for arguing balls and strikes.

What the h is that all about? Didn't the Sox win the pennant last year because of Eddings? What kind of thanks is that Ozzie?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By threepeat on Monday, May 22, 2006 - 05:49 pm:

asch- A STANDING O

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By colt45allstar on Monday, May 22, 2006 - 06:31 pm:

single in second at bat.... and ANOTHER homerun just now.

This is a wonderful thing to witness

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By leftfield139 on Monday, May 22, 2006 - 06:32 pm:

He seems to like the meatballs down the middle Garland is putting it on a T for him. Hope this is just what he needs.

The White Sox always seem to be snakebit we they play us.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By leftfield139 on Monday, May 22, 2006 - 08:16 pm:

All for nothing

losers

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Monday, May 22, 2006 - 09:19 pm:

Chisox fans get the best of both worlds -- Thomas homers twice in his return and the Sox STILL win. Also appropriate that Dye homers against his former team.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevink on Monday, May 22, 2006 - 09:33 pm:

The Big Hurt is back!

I'm looking at the bright side on this game.
When Bradley comes back we will actually have a legitimate offense.

Don't write this team off yet!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jesse on Monday, May 22, 2006 - 10:28 pm:

Agreed Kevin, and lets not forget the benefit we'll have when Harden, Duke, Kennedy, Witasick and Loaiza return. This team will be awesome. BIg Hurt, please keep hurtn'em

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By asch on Tuesday, May 23, 2006 - 07:00 am:

I understand to look at at the positives. But the plain truth is, that game was totally blown. We had that won and our bullpen let us down. We shouldn't have been in that situation and it's sad when you see a won game go in the loss column.

To that end: this team IS playing with a TON of injuries:

2 starting pitchers are out.
3 of our main bullpen pitchers are out
Our closer was out for a while.
Our starting RF is out.
Ellis, Chavey and Thomas have all missed time here and there with stuff.

It's amazing we are were we are. We have been relying heavily on backups and our AAA bullpen.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rocket on Tuesday, May 23, 2006 - 08:19 am:

What really helps is that the Angels are stinking
it out right now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By raiderjohn on Tuesday, May 23, 2006 - 08:42 am:

....and we're a lot better than we were a year ago 17-27 at the same time last year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By pachyderm on Tuesday, May 23, 2006 - 11:01 am:

I agree with Raider John. It's pointless to give up now when you don't give up a year ago.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.