Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

Chavez

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: Chavez
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By yc2578 on Monday, May 22, 2006 - 07:11 pm:

Safe to say that food poisoning has derailed his hot start. He lost all that weight and his power has just disappeared because of it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Monday, May 22, 2006 - 07:18 pm:

Last 8 games since he returned from that stomach illness including tonight's game....

-.172, 3 runs, 0 hrs, 3 RBIs.

Previous 8 games before the roadtrip...

-.344, 4 runs, 2 hrs, 9 RBIs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By threepeat on Monday, May 22, 2006 - 07:20 pm:

Ofer so far again tonight- You know what happens if or when he falls below .250?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By yc2578 on Monday, May 22, 2006 - 07:25 pm:

You get to act like an even bigger jackass than you normally are?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By threepeat on Monday, May 22, 2006 - 07:30 pm:

Yes! that's Right.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By leftfield139 on Monday, May 22, 2006 - 07:37 pm:

Food born illness killing us.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Monday, May 22, 2006 - 09:20 pm:

Swinging at the first pitch also killing us.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rocket on Monday, May 22, 2006 - 10:01 pm:

Swisher and Chavez carried the offense the first
quarter of the season, but the last week has
seen both struggle, offense has to be picked up
by some of the others.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By leftfield139 on Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 09:46 pm:

His at bats when he is struggling are SAD. What has always bothered me is that he not only slumps but just seems to take a horrible apraoch to his at bats. First pitch swinging with the bases loaded tonight=double play. Yea we won the game yea if he gets a hit i love him but he just does not seem to even foul pitchs off or anything.

Boy when he stinks he really stinks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By yc2578 on Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 09:51 pm:

Clearly his back is bothering him.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By leftfield139 on Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 11:43 pm:

Well then take a new aproach try to hit it the other way. Look when you are hurt you have to try to do what you can not what you can't.

I suppose that easy for me to say but.......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Saturday, June 17, 2006 - 12:21 am:

Great to see Chavy with the 2 run hr Friday night...he really needs that as ever since April was over and he's had his run in with his stomach illness and some injuries, his production has taken a huge dip the past 1.5 months.

Including tonight's game.....

April-.301, 13 runs, 9 hrs, 31 RBIs in 89 ABs.
May/June-.248, 21 runs, 5 hrs, 25 RBIs in 129 ABs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Saturday, June 17, 2006 - 11:30 am:

I thought Chavy looked really uncomfortable. He admitted he's still suffering with the back and hammy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By yc2578 on Saturday, June 17, 2006 - 01:03 pm:

It was painful watching him run from 1st to home last night on Payton's double.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By washfan38 on Saturday, June 17, 2006 - 02:57 pm:

In the TVH it was reported, ailing back & hip flexor. Does he have a tender hamy as well? Maybe that was the sore legs thing?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By leftfield139 on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 01:19 am:

What was that lame ass play at home plate all about.

IMO the way Chavy went into the plate was heartless and without conviction. Which is the way he plays the game. If your not going to slide then cream the catcher.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 02:02 am:

Chavez is injured, think it's his shoulder so I don't blame him if he doesn't go all out on a play like that in risk of further injurying himself.

I think he gets a lot or respect from his teammates that he's gutting it out with injuries and coming back mysterious stomach illnesses after a hot first month.

Chavez may not make the all star team which you thought wasn't likely after that hot April where he started off hitting .301, 13 runs, 9 hrs, 31 RBIs in 89 ABs. But Chavez has always said he'd rather have the 3 full days off than participate in the all activities/game. Though you know he'd like to make the all star game eventually....just thought this was the year he'd make it but as of now, he'd probably be best served to decline the offer to go to Pitt even if he was invited.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By yc2578 on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 10:02 am:

Ya he's heartless because he's playing injured! This guy will never win with some people.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 10:31 am:

Looking at Chavy's face, it looks to me like he's playing in considerable pain. Bad hammy, bad shoulder.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ws9 on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 10:38 am:

Leftfield,

I'm glad he wen't soft. Dye went in like a tough guy a couple of years ago against Molina and seperated his shoulder. To your point that the play encapsulates a heartless style of play overall from Chavez, I don't agree. He isn't a fiery guy never will be but that does'nt mean he does not care or does not try. His teamates seem to think so. Everyone in the dougout went up to him after the play. They see him playing hurt and they respect him. By the way most people I know agree with you. There are clearly a lot of people out there looking for more from this guy, but I genuienly feel he is giving all he has.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By leftfield139 on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 11:12 am:

OK a agree with most of you.
but if you are hurt why not slide. Why the Half Hearted attempt to run over the catcher/

I will take back the Heartless comment but keep the lake of conviction tag.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By renobill on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 11:46 am:

Lefty where is the Lake of Conviction? Is there good fishing? :)

I'm a Chavy backer thru and thru. Sometimes I think he just spaces out. But lack of focus should not be mistaken for not caring.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ssblip on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 09:08 pm:

"But lack of focus should not be mistaken for not caring."

I heard that a lot when we had Byrnes. ;-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By renobill on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 09:46 pm:

Byrnesy could definitely have a brain fart or two.

I never heard anyone accuse him of not hustling or playing hard.

Chavy may be trying to be cautious to stay in the lineup given our injuries but I truly believe he comes to play everyday of the grind that is MLB.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By leftfield139 on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 11:01 pm:

The fish in the lake of conviction are very hard to catch:-)

OK I'm not saying chavy does not try or care. I'm saying he over thinks things, he does not have faith in his game. The play at home shows me this. He could not figure out what he was going to do slide or run over the catcher so he just kinda half assed it. Is that a flaw in his desire to win? no but it is a flaw in what i see to be his faith in himself to just act and not think.

but what do i know

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By washfan38 on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 12:24 am:

"but what do i know"

Yeah your just a bar manager...it's not like your Ken Macha

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By leftfield139 on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 12:55 am:

Ken Macha is the smartest baseball man named Ken Macha in the world.

He also will talk to you at spring trainig.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 10:31 am:

Are there banana prawns in the lake of conviction?

:)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By finleyunplugged on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 11:18 am:

Here's some data mining for Bryrnes Lovers and Bonds Haters:

Check out the archives of the West Catholic Athletic League and you'll find one Eric Byrnes was selected League Player of the Year in 1994.

Notice someone conspicuously absent from this list? Our friend Barroid wasn't even considered the best in his high school league, nor does he hold a single league record.

You'd also think the vaunted Serra Padres would have won a few more West Catholic Athletic League baseball titles while he played there. Instead, those titles more often went to St. Francis, their rivals from the south. In retrospect, sort of a foreshadowing of his professional career...

http://www.wcalsports.org/Records%20Brochure/2004-05%20Records/W.C.A.L.%20Records%202004-05%20Baseball.pdf

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 12:30 pm:

I notice Gregg Jeffries' name appears several times among record holders and player of the year. Bonds must have been on the DL!

I can't remember if anyone on this board ever mentioned the story from the Jeff Pearlman book that Bonds was voted off the team while he was at ASU, even though he was the best player. His teammates couldn't stand him! (The manager kept him on the team anyway.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By finleyunplugged on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 03:15 pm:

On the eve of the Gint series, here's an oldie, but one of the best pieces ever written about the commensurate A-hole himself...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/features/cover/flashbacks/bonds_importance/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By washfan38 on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 10:53 pm:

"I can't remember if anyone on this board ever mentioned the story from the Jeff Pearlman book that Bonds was voted off the team while he was at ASU, even though he was the best player. His teammates couldn't stand him! (The manager kept him on the team anyway.)"

Yeah, he & Scott Peterson (Golf) had the same problem at ASU.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Sunday, June 25, 2006 - 07:43 pm:

Saw a commercial not too long ago promoting the All Star Game on FOX and they showed both Zito and Chavez in the promo....Zito maybe an all star cause he'll most likely have 10+ wins by the time the break arrives but doubt Chavez gets selected.

Zito, Swisher, Street...think all 3 should make it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By yc2578 on Sunday, June 25, 2006 - 08:05 pm:

They shoot those commercials before the season starts.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.