Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

Baseball

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: Baseball
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rayfossefan on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 01:55 pm:

I am glad that the A's are starting to play a bit better... but right now who cares!?!?!? The World Cup is about to start!!!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By leftfield139 on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 03:17 pm:

Is the world cup that thing with the feet?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 04:55 pm:

RFF, I'm totally caught up in WC fever!!!!!!!

I'll be rooting for Team USA and of course for Brazil...going after its 6th WC.

It is total madness here in Rio. Everything stops and it is all in GREEN AND GOLD!!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By leftfield139 on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 11:43 pm:

I got Brazil in the pool with all the latin guys in my kitchen at work. They were all pissed a gringo won the Pool. This was 4 years ago of coarse

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By casper9559 on Tuesday, June 06, 2006 - 04:51 am:

you all just root for Brazil cause they're GREEN AND GOLD RIGHT?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevink on Tuesday, June 06, 2006 - 08:39 am:

To use a quote from the late Pete Franklin, "If the world cup was being played in my back yard, I'd close my blinds!"

Kidding!
I do admire the passion of soccer fans which makes NFL fans look wimpy, but I don't understand the excitement of the game, unless they score, which is rare. However, I saw Brazil play live in the 84 Olympics and sat with their great fans so that will always be my favorite team.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By pachyderm on Tuesday, June 06, 2006 - 11:32 am:

Are ready for some Futebol?!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Tuesday, June 06, 2006 - 12:13 pm:

Well, my close friends know that Futebol is my favorite sport and Baseball is MY LIFE!

So I just keep on rooting for the GREEN AND GOLD!

easy:

My country of origin is G&G - Brazil
My son's High School was G&G - San Marin
My son's College was G&G - Cal Poly
My baseball passion is G&G- Oakland A's

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By leftfield139 on Tuesday, June 06, 2006 - 01:28 pm:

You all know that rooting for Brazil in soccor is like rooting for the Yankees in baseball.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Tuesday, June 06, 2006 - 01:40 pm:

No way. Brazilian soccer isn't rich at all. In fact all the great players don't play in Brazil because no local teams can afford to pay their salaries. The players all sign huge contract with the rich European teams.

But during the WC, the brazilian players are allowed and required to play for their country of origin so Brazil gets their players back for that period of time. After the WC, the players all go back to Europe.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rayfossefan on Tuesday, June 06, 2006 - 01:48 pm:

I love football - hate to hear it called soccer. After all, I spent the first 12 years of my life in England. So, I will be rooting for England to bring it back home for the first time since 66!!! They have one of the best teams in the tournament, especially if Wayne Rooney gets healthy. Their first game is 6am Saturday morning and I will be at a British bar in Sacramento ("The Streets of London") to watch with beer in hand!!!!

After that, I have to root for Mexico a bit, since my girlfriend is Mexican-American, and they love their futbol!

After that it's USA, because that's my home now and I love American sports. Think they have a decent shot, but England and Mexico are better teams.

I also like The Netherlands team - they have a real shot.

sorry Lil can't root for the Brazilian team - they knocked out my beloved England in the last tournament and besides they have already won too many!!!

Lastly as an England supporter I hope Argentina gets knocked out in the first round :)

Anyway, totally happy that our Oakland A's are buying into Major League Soccer (still a dumb name!) - let's see if they can build a soccer and baseball dual stadium complex for us in the East Bay!!!

Speaking of that, for those who have never been to a top class football/soccer stadium, check these out from Germany - some are new and some are retrofitted - but once you go into one of those there is nothing else like it!!!

http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/06/en/d/stadium/index.html

Munich at nights with its lights is incredible!!!!

http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/06/en/photos/stadium/mun.html?i=1&d=1
http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/06/en/photos/stadium/mun.html?i=0&d=1

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By finleyunplugged on Tuesday, June 06, 2006 - 04:58 pm:

http://www.agenciacbf.com.br/site/newspics/mat_20050209a.jpg

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By washfan38 on Wednesday, June 07, 2006 - 11:31 pm:

KevinK,

When did Pete Franklin pass?

Soccer fun to play but no interest watching.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.