Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

I give up on Harden

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: I give up on Harden
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By yc2578 on Thursday, June 08, 2006 - 10:14 am:

Another trip to the DL. He's never going to be heatlhy enough to reach his full potential. It's time to consider converting him to the bullpen.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevink on Thursday, June 08, 2006 - 10:38 am:

wow this is a big blow to the a's. back to sarloos? that's just a huge dropoff from harden. not good, especially when our offense is really offensive to me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Thursday, June 08, 2006 - 11:50 am:

Yeah, I still don't know what's up with Harden. He has one of the smoothest and easy looking deliveries in MLB for a guy who can throw as hard as anybody yet he just seems like he can't stay healthy.

I don't know if it's the training staff or Harden is just brittle but this guy has amazaing potential but I just don't think he'll ever be able to stay healthy enough, forget about for just one season but for a career, as a SP.

Bullpen? I doubt it.....I mean the A's already have Street so you're gonna pay Harden to be a 8th inning man where the A's already have Duke and Calero?

Is Harden's stock down far enough where they A's shouldn't go out and try to trade him? Though that'd leave the A's in a tough situation long term with potentially only Haren as your only legit #2 SP in this rotation.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rayfossefan on Thursday, June 08, 2006 - 11:59 am:

I just posted in another thread but maybe we have harden we have our own version of mark prior/kerry wood - guys who have amazing potential and dominating stuff but just get hurt all the time. rich looked good last time out and i'm not ready to give up on him yet. methinks he needs a better offseason conditioning program, with a focus on cardio and flexibility. re-sign zito *now* because this guy can't be relied on to be our future ace - way too injury prone. can you imagine a full season of harden?? wouldn't that be the greatest??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By drumme510 on Thursday, June 08, 2006 - 12:09 pm:

I've felt that way for a while now. I think Harden was brought up to the bigs way too quickly, and he over throws, and it just tears up his body.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rayfossefan on Thursday, June 08, 2006 - 12:11 pm:

he overthrows? i know he throws hard but have yuou watched his delivery? it is very easy and smooth.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Thursday, June 08, 2006 - 12:45 pm:

It's the weights. There's a reason Zito doesn't do weights. Harden needs to do a heart to heart talk with Zito. A's first priority: Re-sign Zito, immediately.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jerryo1 on Thursday, June 08, 2006 - 12:46 pm:

"I just posted in another thread but maybe we have harden we have our own version of mark prior/kerry wood"

Great minds, Kevin?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rayfossefan on Thursday, June 08, 2006 - 01:04 pm:

indeed jerry :) but you're quicker than me!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rayfossefan on Thursday, June 08, 2006 - 01:12 pm:

WOW. read below. amazing that he was able to throw as hard as he did without feeling considerable pain. when did he know he was hurt? he seemed OK at the game the other day....well really bad news about the type of injury, it's possible we have lost Harden for the YEAR. thoroughly disappointing!

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/chronicle/archive/2006/06/08/SPHARDEN.DTL&type=as

Harden back on DL, this time for elbow ligament
Susan Slusser

Thursday, June 8, 2006

CLEVELAND (840 PDT) -- Just as the A's were beginning to get players back off the disabled list, they had to place a key figure back on the DL on Thursday.

Rich Harden, one of the top young starters in baseball, will miss an undetermined amount of time with a sprained ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow -- the same injury that has kept Toronto pitcher A.J. Burnett out almost all of this season.

Harden, who also missed half of last season with injuries, came back on Sunday after missing six weeks with what the team had earlier described as a lower back strain but was disclosed Thursday to be an oblique muscle that had come off the bone. He went four innings, but he felt a twinge in the elbow in the third inning and stayed out for the fourth, and he was still throwing 97 mph.

"Mind-boggling," A's manager Ken Macha said of Harden's velocity after he first felt the problem.

Harden didn't mention the problem until the team arrived in Cleveland and his elbow hurt while doing some movements in the trainer's room. He had an MRI at the Cleveland Clinic and the team received the information late Wednesday night. He will be shut down and checked weekly until the joint is completely pain-free; he can, however, continue to do exercises to keep the rest of his arm strong and he can do his aerobic activity.

The team does not believe that Harden came back from his oblique injury too soon. The UCL sprain is an injury that can occur on one pitch, so it's impossible to know if there was any correlation either with his mechanics being off after six weeks on the DL or trying to come back too soon.

"We took our time doing everything prescribed to get him back," Macha said. "The only question is did we do everything right to get this guy back, and in my mind we did."

Kirk Saarloos, last year's fifth starter, will take Harden's spot in the rotation. Saarloos had been filling in for Esteban Loaiza until Loaiza came off the DL on Thursday.

The A's now have used the disabled list eight times this season, matching the number of times they used it all of last year. Harden has been on the DL three times since coming up in July, 2003.

Harden was unavailable for comment before Thursday's game, but his teammates described him as being very down. Not only had he worked hard to come back from the oblique injury this year, he'd also had offseason surgery on his left shoulder to try to prevent the kind of oblique and lat pulls he'd had last year.

"I'm sure it's frustrating for him," Macha said.

The A's did receive one bit of good injury news Thursday. Third baseman Eric Chavez was back in the lineup after being scratched from Wednesday's game with back tightness.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jerryo1 on Thursday, June 08, 2006 - 01:21 pm:

I heard A's trainer Larry Davis on the pre-game show today, and he was asked about a timeframe for Harden's return. He said that they will do stress testing on it early next week, and if the pain is still there then the rest continues. If there is no pain, then the rehab begins.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By renobill on Thursday, June 08, 2006 - 01:39 pm:

In view of the bad news on Harden, it sure was nice to see a very good outing against a tough hitting ballclub by Esteban today.

And I agree, lets work on a new contract for Barry Z immediately.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By colt45allstar on Thursday, June 08, 2006 - 01:44 pm:

Is it too early to say this guy's an all out wuss?

I agree that he's never going to reach his full potiential, unless he figures out how to stay healthy.

Looking more and more like we have our own version of a John Beckett.

Immensely talented, but hurt on an annual basis.

God this is frustrating. You look at the guy when he's healthy and see pure magic on that mound... but he can't ever stay healthy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By colt45allstar on Thursday, June 08, 2006 - 01:55 pm:

To be honest... I fear possible Tommy John surgery in Rich's future.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Thursday, June 08, 2006 - 02:38 pm:

colt45, there are a lot of people expressing that same worry today and some are concerned it could come as early as this year.

So, should that happen, let's see, we might get him back full strength in the last year of his contract. :(

Two other guys concern me as well, always being snake bitten with by the injury bug. Bobby Crosby and to a lesser degree, Mark Ellis.

The latest I hear on Crosby, is it's a bruised knuckle and it is really paining him. Evidently happened during an AB. The way it's gone for him, it'll probably show up broken on the xrays later today.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jesse on Thursday, June 08, 2006 - 11:41 pm:

Why do the A's lie about injuries? Is anyone offended that this organization lies so often? I'm not exactly sure why, but the lies are getting to me. I think its because I dont know why I'm being lied to. Can somebody understand why we are lied to by this organization so often.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By beanetown on Thursday, June 08, 2006 - 11:58 pm:

How about a trade of Harden for Hudson?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oakfan on Friday, June 09, 2006 - 08:55 am:

Prospect or two, Kielty and Halsey for Willis.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ssblip on Friday, June 09, 2006 - 10:57 pm:

Offended? Man, you take things personally! ;-) It's a chess game, that's all. Just like them hockey-playoff injuries. Never the truth.

Why? I dunno. It's just the way it is when you're trying to win.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.