Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

I need all your help

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: I need all your help
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By darth2900 on Tuesday, January 08, 2002 - 08:30 am:

I just bought a new house in lovely Elk Grove, Ca and well there is a room for me and my wife, a room for our 2 year old and an extra room for our computer... in this room we are painting a mural... What I need from everyone here is pictures of the Oakland Coliseum... I have found a really cool one at http://www.ballparksofbaseball.com/al/oak711.jpg
But I would like some variety, and who better to have good shots of the coliseum than the A's biggest fans!!!! Please email me any pictures you have at jaugust@pacwest.com or email me and I will give you my address to mail them to... I promise to return any hard copy pictures I get.
Thanks!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Tuesday, January 08, 2002 - 02:19 pm:

darth, I have a poster of the Coliseum before Al's erection which I had for years on my wall...
along with many other photos of players and memorabilia. They were all in my computer/office room at my house.

I took down all my pictures and photos and stored them all in boxes in the garage the day Schott
declared the A's had no future in Oakland.

I'll only be taking them out of storage when I see Oakland put down a stake in the ground for a ballpark, which would be represent the longterm stay of the team.

If/when this happens, I will send you that poster as a present. It was really a beautiful photo with the old bleachers, the ivy and hills on the background.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By darth2900 on Tuesday, January 08, 2002 - 05:00 pm:

Did you look at the picture I am thinking of using at this time? It is totally a picture pre Mt. Davis... I will tell you the one thing that I am most bitter about and the reason I don't get as hot at the owners as others is that damn monstrosity in center field... give me a break, the coliseum used to be the best place on earth to go for me... not anymore... any mural I paint will be of the good coliseum... the beautiful Oakland sky at twilight... I was considering doing a mock downtown stadium on my wall... like what a view from the 3rd base side would look like, the only problem is once the stadium is a reality it would look kind of stupid.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By darth2900 on Tuesday, January 08, 2002 - 05:01 pm:

Another great thing about that picture is that Rickey is batting

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Tuesday, January 08, 2002 - 05:36 pm:

"I will tell you the one thing that I am most bitter about and the reason I don't get as hot at the owners as others is that damn monstrosity in center field"

Except that they knew of the construction when they agreed to buy the team for $68 million from
the Haas family, giving their word they would stay
in Oakland for at least 10 years... Evidence shows the ink wasn't even dry and Schott was already trying to relocate after milking as much as he could from the situation and construction.

There was a plan to replace and reconfigurate the
outfield in such a way that the bleachers would be
saved with a much better atmosphere for baseball.
Schott opted for not doing that and instead
preferred to have the much more profitable diamond seats area behind home plate.

Darth, I don't want to go back to Schott bashing because I sure hope the politicians can sit down at the negotiating table to come up with a viable plan for a ballpark in Oakland. But things would be so much easier if Schott had a bit of good will with Oakland instead of his pipe dream of moving to Santa Clara.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Tuesday, January 08, 2002 - 11:13 pm:

The palm trees, the greenery, the bleachers -- it was beautiful. I'd forgotten how much I missed the old Coliseum.

BTW, I noticed while watching the Raiders on TV Sunday that the team bench says "Oakland Coliseum", not Net Ass.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jeffreyb on Tuesday, January 08, 2002 - 11:30 pm:

i would have loved to have seen the originally promised bleacher configuration myself...but as for the beauty of the old stadium...uh...the main view was of a rock quarry, gashed out of a hillside.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jeffreyb on Tuesday, January 08, 2002 - 11:34 pm:

...and it's terrible for the economics of building a new stadium, but last night on Monday Night Football, Al Michaels was hysterically funny talking about all the businesses that are in Chapter 11, or otherwise in deep financial trouble, since they bought naming rights to various stadiums around the country. he concluded with the concept that one should immediately sell the stock of any company that buys naming rights.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By darth2900 on Wednesday, January 09, 2002 - 08:07 am:

I wasn't trying to give Schott a vote of confidence Lil... man you are touchy on that subject, ha! I am just saying that I know he didn't design that piece of crap, and while he may take some blame he for sure doesn't take all of it. Furthermore, the stadium was fine the way it was or it actually could have been changed for baseball (like Edison Field down to Anaheim) instead of turning the A's into a step child who play in a football stadium funded by Oakland residents because of politicians bad choices... and as for the the view of the rock quary... what I miss is the ice plant and the bleachers, I have never gone to an A's game to look at any scenery except for what is on the field... I reserve that pleasure for the one time I went to Pac Bell park and my 6 month old daughter (at the time) and I stared out at the big ships... then Barry Bonds came up and she cried and cried and so we had to leave.... I know it was all the crowd noise but part of me still hopes that she knows a jerk when she see's one and that is why she cried and made me and her mom mom take her home. HA!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Wednesday, January 09, 2002 - 09:48 am:

darth, I didn't respond to you because I was upset
with you at defending Schott. I just responded that he knew exactly what he was getting into and
paid much less because of it...
and I just wanted to point out that it could have
been at least made it better with the plan they had to bring the bleachers down closer to the fields but they refused to spend the money...

no problem...I know there is always two sides to every story...

I loved the bleachers at the Coliseum and always
thought it was the heart and soul of that place...
so...you see...we're at the same page.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By darth2900 on Wednesday, January 09, 2002 - 11:48 am:

RIP bleachers... oh damn I miss those things... do you remember how loud those things would get? I also remember the only shining moment from the 88 series was Jay Howell watching Mark McGwire's HR fall right in front of those old bleachers... why?!?!?! I am all sad now... come back bleachers, I still love you!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Wednesday, January 09, 2002 - 12:29 pm:

To me, the most memorable moment of the old bleachers was the night of Hendu's birthday.

Henduland folks brought a birthday cake
and distributed candles to all the fans around.
When Hendu took the field, they all sang Happy
Birhtday with the candles all shining out there...

Hendu later went up in the stands and sat with them eating a piece of his birthday cake. To this day, Hendu, when asked what was the best
moment of his career, he tells the story of that night in Oakland.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kbailey3131 on Wednesday, January 09, 2002 - 01:18 pm:

Man! i loved the folks in Henduland and in the BadBoy Club. The drummers and flag wavers have brought some of that flavor back to Oakland.

I remember the McGwire home run in the WS, it landed like 20 rows in front of where I was sitting for that game.

I miss the old bleachers too. I sat out there with some really crazy people in the RF bleachers when I was in college.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Wednesday, January 09, 2002 - 01:28 pm:

the foxhounds were also great...

there were pretty special fans for some very special players and there was such a good bond between them...

the drummers are great...but I wish the A's would leave them alone so they could maintain their freedom of expression...because the A's got involved, Steinbrenner was able to interfere with them when the Yankees came to town...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By darth2900 on Wednesday, January 09, 2002 - 02:52 pm:

Steinbrenner is a jerk... I think in any new stadium that is built we should insist on 2 things... Bleachers in either right or left field, no stadium seats just bleachers made of aluminum that get loud as can be... and a PCL Museum that pays homage to the first pro ball league in the Bay Area... oh and if it isn't too much trouble I would like to be the curator of the museum, ha!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By vinnieangelo on Wednesday, January 09, 2002 - 03:06 pm:

Lil, how are the A's hindering the drummers freedom of expression? I know that they gave those guys free season tickets for doing to TV ads.

Vin

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By darth2900 on Wednesday, January 09, 2002 - 03:16 pm:

I can take this one Lil... Giving them tickets makes them employees of the club basically, and George was arguing that their is some provision which bans employees of a baseball team from distracting members of the opposing team... basically if the A's hadn't given them tickets and they paid for their seat they can be as loud as they want whenever they want, but since they get free tickets they can't play the drums when the pitcher is on the mound with the ball... or something like that... is that close?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Wednesday, January 09, 2002 - 04:01 pm:

Yup...but they could and SHOULD have given those
kids a free ride without making it official they
were getting like a paidback for the commercials.

In the past, players would "give away" tickets to kids and if the A's had made it look like a give away...like Rickey's kids (Rickey brought a bunch of kids with good school attendance)...or "Canseco's 33" kids that he had at the ballpark...it would not have been something
not tied to the commercials they made for the club.

So because of that, when the Yankers came to town, the drummers had to be quiet when the batters were at bat.

I wanted, and still may start a movement next year that we fans should bring drums to the ballpark and do some drumming and see if Steinshit can tell us to be quiet!!!
That's even better than booing you know who!!!

We could have a chant...drum drum drum..."have you ever BEEN to the Bronx Zoo!!!!"

Hey, dont' get me going...I'm a certified rebel rouser you know...even in my advanced age...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rocket on Wednesday, January 09, 2002 - 04:15 pm:

"I'm a certified rebel rouser you know.."

Truer words were never spoken

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By darth2900 on Wednesday, January 09, 2002 - 04:32 pm:

damn Steinbuttburger... I hate that arrogant jerk, and while we are on the list of people I hate let's throw in Don Fehr, Bud Selig, Mike Krukow and Ursula the Sea Witch from the Little Mermaid movie... I do however love rebel rousers and I say let's all bring drums... hell I will bring my entire rock band down to stadium and set up in the bleachers and just blare music... how in the hell did this string end up on this stuff, wasn't I like requesting pictures of the coliseum for my new mural?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Wednesday, January 09, 2002 - 04:36 pm:

Hey Rocketman, very kind of you to leave out the rest of the sentence...

but tell me you didn't like my idea of the drums for when the Yans show up in Oaktown...small or big...we should all bring our drums and let em have it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rocket on Wednesday, January 09, 2002 - 04:51 pm:

It would be a good idea, but only if we were
sure that King George was going to be at
the game.

Also, how would security view such a thing?

Since 9/11 they have really limited what
you can bring into the stadium.

Still like the idea though, George gets his
way to often by bluster and $$$, not beacuse
he is right.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Wednesday, January 09, 2002 - 05:07 pm:

Hey, King George is always present in one form or another...he doesn't miss a thang...

I'll find out about security...what I know is that you can't bring in closed large bags or coolers...but a drum? I don't see how you can't put a little or medium drum over your shoulders and come in...anyway...I check it out as soon as the season starts...

Hey darth...I'll get a picture of the folks playing drums all over the ballpark for your wall...and maybe me getting arrested by the King's
secret service gestapo :')

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By darth2900 on Wednesday, January 09, 2002 - 05:12 pm:

I will bail you out (or break you out) of the King's jail.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Wednesday, January 09, 2002 - 05:18 pm:

Oh thank you! Then I will name you the Darth Vader of the Coli!!! oh boy...how I need my baseball!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By darth2900 on Thursday, January 10, 2002 - 10:36 am:

I think some raider dude already has the titel darth vader... I would prefer to be known as Jef Au Hasan, venreable Jedi Knight

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rocket on Thursday, January 10, 2002 - 10:57 am:

The Raider dude is Darth Raider.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By darth2900 on Thursday, January 10, 2002 - 01:52 pm:

oh that is just perfect... ha!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.