Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

For the Macha dissenters

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: For the Macha dissenters
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Monday, June 19, 2006 - 05:22 pm:

Marty Lurie has it right. I didn't like Macha at first either. And I was livid about the pinch hitting debacle with Dye. Actually, it sure wasn't worse than Howe's failure to run for Jeremy Giambi, when you get down to it. I happen to think, as previously stated, that Macha is doing an excellent job. And proof of the pudding is how his team came back last year and how they are playing this year ... with a raftful of key players on the DL, no less. And that has not been lost on several of those who follow the A's closely, including Lowell Cohn's column last week, "Macha pushing all the right buttons" and to a lesser degree, his column today.

Lurie's article:

http://www.loveofthegameproductions.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=1238

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By threepeat on Monday, June 19, 2006 - 09:30 pm:

The A'S will never win the WS with Macha at the helm. IMO His decisions and/or lack of desisions have led directly to at least 5 losses so far this year. The A'S have won several other games in spite of some Macha decisions. I have little confidence in Macha leading the A'S to the playoffs let alone a WS appearance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By renobill on Monday, June 19, 2006 - 09:40 pm:

I'll chime in here as a Macha detractor.

Marty's column is all about the A's organizational approach to teaching the game and dealing with players. Macha is included rightfully as a member of the management teams past and present that develope "tough" players that hustle. I see no particular reason to argue with Lurie's viewpoint in this regard, however I think it is interesting to note that there was no reference in the article to A's Managers' ability to strategize etc.

My complaint all along has been Macha's inability to handle a pitching staff effectively or react to situations with his lineup thoughts and to a lesser extent, his passive demeanor during a game. In those areas he is a lump, IMO.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Monday, June 19, 2006 - 09:46 pm:

I'll never forget of forgive what Macha did in Game 5 in the 2003 ALDS when he pitch hit for Dye and I still don't know why he made that move.

Really until the A's with Macha is the manager can lead the A's to a playoff series victory, always have second thoughts on him as a manager especially when it's been mentioned that he isn't the greatest in game decesion manager.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevink on Tuesday, June 20, 2006 - 08:16 am:

Macha is a puppet. He is a reflection of Beane. I'm not a Macha fan but he made the move because Dye's average vs. Melhuse wasn't even close. In retrospect it doesn't look good but odds are that Dye would have struck out too, or made an out in some way. Don't forge TLong could have done something after that but the game ended with the bat on TLong's shoulder. I blame TLong much more than Macha in that one.

This team has the talent to get to the playoffs with Beane managing through Macha. But who here thinks Macha/Beane will lead us past the first round for the first time since 1990?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevink on Tuesday, June 20, 2006 - 08:16 am:

Macha is a puppet. He is a reflection of Beane. I'm not a Macha fan but he made the move because Dye's average vs. Melhuse wasn't even close. In retrospect it doesn't look good but odds are that Dye would have struck out too, or made an out in some way. Don't forget TLong could have done something after that but the game ended with the bat on TLong's shoulder. I blame TLong much more than Macha in that one.

This team has the talent to get to the playoffs with Beane managing through Macha. But who here thinks Macha/Beane will lead us past the first round for the first time since 1990?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Tuesday, June 20, 2006 - 12:45 pm:

Dye was the highest paid A's by far at that time with a salary of 10+ million, he had a very good game 4 and had a hit his previous AB before he was pulled out.

Who knows what would've happened if Dye would've stayed in but I'd like my chances on one of your leaders on the team at that time than a backup C who yes he also too had a big game 4 on Sunday but you don't pull Dye in that situation! Lowe's "money" pitch and I'd be shocked if it wasn't in the scouting report was the pitch that started towards he LH hitter and broke back to the plate...with Dye as a RH, that pitch would've tailed right back into an area where he could've extended his arms and at least made contact with the ball....maybe hit a fly ball to RF.

Could've, should've, would've....I know.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevink on Tuesday, June 20, 2006 - 01:03 pm:

Your big money team leader hit something like .170 that season, and did NOT have a good series with the exception of that previous game, so I still blame TLong more than Macha.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Tuesday, June 20, 2006 - 01:24 pm:

I still remember screaming at the TV when I saw Dye getting pinch hit for. Dye hit a hr in game 4, he was in fact the only A's hitter to hit a hr that entire 5 game set against the BoSox and he led the A's that series with 3 RBIs, tied with Durazo. He was your hottest hitter vet hitters in the lineup but that awful LH vs RH matchup % that Macha uses reared it's ugly head up with Macha again but this time, Lowe wasn't one who lefties do well against cause of that pitch that tails back into the inside of the plate which Lowe got both Melhuse and Long with to end the series essentially.

If there was anybody to pinch hit Melhuse for, it should've been Long who had only had 7 ABs the entire series and didn't have score a run or have RBI. Who do you blame for that bad game decesion, I point towards Macha.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By yc2578 on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 09:38 pm:

Unless Duke hurt himself again already, taking him out after six pitches was mind numbingly stupid by Macha and has probably just cost the A's the game tonight.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rayfossefan on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 09:41 pm:

much agreed, duke is solid and looked great tonite.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By yc2578 on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 09:45 pm:

I think it shows a complete inability to adjust to the situation. He probably made up his mind before the game even started that if Duke pitched tonight he'd only go one inning. He has an incredibly quick inning and Macha can't adjust to it. You can't tell me he couldn't throw 20 pitches tonight.

Of course with the A's luck with injuries it'll turn out he's hurt again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By renobill on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 10:08 pm:

I agree with you YC on the Duke decision but what really frosts me is Macha pitching to the 8th place hitter in the 4th with Durham on 3rd. Dumb ass.

Chaulk this win up (if we get it) to another IN SPITE OF OUR MANAGER.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By washfan38 on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 10:45 pm:

I was like damn Duke is on!! commercial break........come back from the fridge with a beer...Hey! Where'd my Duke go? Unbeleivable!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By tripleacats on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 11:08 pm:

Perhaps there was some concern with the Duke's physical condition considering the fact that he just spent 40+ games on the DL?

I dunno, just a thought. I guess it is much more exciting to rip Macha.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By leftfield139 on Saturday, June 24, 2006 - 11:09 am:

I have to agree with Macha on this one.

One game is not worth the risk on Duke's arm. HELLO he just got off the DL with a bad elbow. You guys really think we should have him out there for 2 innings when he has not thrown more than one inning in rehab at a time. What if you goes out there and gets hurt, I can hear it now. Macha is a fool for gettting Duke hurt. lets get Duke back in slowly.

Bottom line we win and Duke can live to pitch another day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By renobill on Saturday, June 24, 2006 - 02:25 pm:

Having Duke on a pitch count I agree with.

But, he threw more last nite in the bully warming up than he did in the game.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Saturday, June 24, 2006 - 04:43 pm:

Nice job Macha handling the pen today.

Sticking in Sauerback who stunk with Cleve and didn't do all that well in his debut with the A's when Halsey hasn't pitched since the 17th of this month who happened to throw 5 scoreless innings of baseball against the Dodgers.

A's are up 5-2 and he leaves in Haren who was near 100 pitches, lucky that Kotsay got the hit but then the bumbling of the bullpen rears it's ugly head.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oakland_j on Saturday, June 24, 2006 - 07:16 pm:

Yup. I was baffled when Haren was allowed to hit in the top of the 6th since he was already at 99 pitches and struggling with his command all day. Perfect situation for a pinch hitter and a new pitcher in the bottom of the inning. To me that was the turning point of the game. A shut down inning there and the A's are in good shape. Oh well. I was hoping we'd be able to break out the brooms tomorrow too. :(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Saturday, June 24, 2006 - 08:36 pm:

We'll be breaking out the brooms all right -- sweeping up the pieces after Loiaza blows the game all to hell.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.