Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

A very though provoking article

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: A very though provoking article
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By orangeman on Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 06:44 am:

The author would disagree with many A's fans' assessments of Macha. This puts the blame on Beane

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1161121812551&call_pageid=969907739730&col=970081600908

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By asch on Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 07:29 am:

good points, some are true. But what he fails to point out is that while Francona may hate "moneyball" he's in the thick of it in Boston, he just has better players with a bigger payroll. Flat out, BETTER players.

I don't think even dissenters of Macha blame him for an ALCS loss - any manager would have had a hard time managing that banged up team against a very tough detroit team. HOWEVER, if Zito's comments about Macha being Mr. Poopypants are true, I can't imagine there was a lot of rah rah postivity happening after the series went to 0-2 and 0-3. Would that have turned it all around? Maybe and probably not, but it certainly wouldn't have hurt.

I agree: Macha is an NL guy and I will be interested to see what he could do on a team where he's allowed to use all resources, maybe has more talent, etc etc. That said, I would say, when you are managing a team that has no "small ball" type players, thus not playing small ball - I would think, in relative terms, the job would be a bit easier. In that sense, Macha did a "great" job. I guess.

It really comes down to whether you think the a's are put together well and overachieve or if they underachieve. I think generally, especially this year, they overachieved, but from what I am reading, it seems to me that macha didn't incite any of that playing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 07:39 am:

I think Macha was, as was Art Howe, used as scapegoat by Beane for media consumption to casual fans...
the mediots are as casual about A's baseball as the casual fans...so this article was to be expectedn but in my opinion, not entirely correct.

The point of the matter is that, starting with Macha, everybody knew the one who would be setting the phisologphy of play and choice of players would be Beane and no one else.

But the field manager still had some choices to make and some influence on the players and Macha failed for the last years as manager, especially during playoffs.

Macha's greatest failure, one he could not blame Beane for was his inability to handle the pitching during games, both starting and pen. His timing was almost always too early or too late, showing a lack of instinct or knowledge of his own players and game a good manager must have.

Another huge problem was his inability to use the bench, which also reflected his lack of communication with his veteran players or/and
injured players.

Lastly, his lack of will to win and boring style of play which didn't have to be small ball but at least sound good baseball, i.e a hit and run.

He managed like a guy who hated to get to work and that set the tone for the entire team....
and his lack of interest reglected in his lack of protection of calls etc...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By asch on Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 07:47 am:

Lil, I find those statements to be DEAD ON. The manager of the A's knows what kind of team he's gonna have, and knows that he'll probably not have much input into who comes to play here. But he still has VERY important decisions to make and the 3 points you make are completely on the mark.

"Macha's greatest failure, one he could not blame Beane for was his inability to handle the pitching during games, both starting and pen. His timing was almost always too early or too late, showing a lack of instinct or knowledge of his own players and game a good manager must have.

Another huge problem was his inability to use the bench, which also reflected his lack of communication with his veteran players or/and
injured players.

Lastly, his lack of will to win and boring style of play which didn't have to be small ball but at least sound good baseball, i.e a hit and run.

He managed like a guy who hated to get to work and that set the tone for the entire team....
and his lack of interest reglected in his lack of protection of calls etc..."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By givedaddy5 on Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 08:01 am:

I agree Lil, you really hit the nail on the head with your post. Macha was a terrible game manager and it was magnified in the playoffs. You can look no further than pinch hitting for Dye in the 2003 playoffs and leaving Loaiza in to give up 7 runs in a playoff game this year. These are inexcusable mistakes that he made. He should have been fired for pinch hitting for Dye as soon as that game was over. You can go on and on about Macha; he never argued calls, lacked fire, butted heads with players, didn't know how to handle a pitching staff, never hit and ran, etc. Bottom line is all those things he does poorly equals a bad manager and if the shoe fits... Macha is just not a good decision maker and you need someone who will make good choices.

I always thought the A's won in spite of Macha and I will go on believing that forever.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By okplayer on Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 09:32 am:

yeah, macha sucks. so why re-hire him????!?!??!?! silly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sactodavey on Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 09:52 am:

we should have been 2-2 after 4 games period!!! harden starts game 2 and street only goes 2 inn game 4 he was out of gas 2 huuuge mistakes.

this guy managed these players for 3 yrs and still had no feeling when to start them or pull them , he is blind when it comes to pitching.

to win against detroit i said you have to street harden in game 2 period we did not!!! like grady little he should have seen like i did and most A's fans that street was done after 2 detroit players got hits in 9th inn with 2 out but stupid blind Macha lets him serve up that hr pitch , do i blame street? no freggen way he was tired Macha should have seent this, i bet beane did and his coaches too, this is about not handling the staff right.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By washfan38 on Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 12:06 pm:

Not to mention pinch hitting Melhuse yet again where Kielty would have been a better choice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rayfossefan on Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 02:26 pm:

let's look at who won a world series recently. look at chicago's manager, look at anaheim's manager. both recently former players, both pretty young, both fiery guys who players respect.... we should go for someone like that

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By finleyunplugged on Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 03:00 pm:

John Rocker?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 09:18 pm:

The Toronto Star article makes a few interesting points, but it's pretty poorly written, IMHO. Sounds like the writer consulted with Joe Morgan.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By gregorymark on Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 09:55 pm:

John Rocker?

Where's Frank Menechino?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By gregorymark on Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 09:56 pm:

To paraphrase Homer Simpson...."Ah, Joe Morgan. What doesn't he know about baseball?"

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.