Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

Hot Stove League

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: Hot Stove League
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jesse on Monday, October 30, 2006 - 07:35 pm:

I see that the White Sox just picked up Mark Buerhle's option, along with Jermaine Dye. I think the Whitesox are going to trade Buerhle. I could see him going to the Yankees for Sheffield.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Monday, October 30, 2006 - 09:07 pm:

Get your daily MLB rumors here.

http://www.benmaller.com/#mlb_rumors_notes

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Monday, October 30, 2006 - 10:05 pm:

Ben Maller is the guy I heard predict that the Cards would be lucky to take one game from the Tigers, so keep that in mind when you read his rumors.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Monday, October 30, 2006 - 10:21 pm:

True, these aren't his rumors.

These are rumors from newspapers from across the country.

I actually like the guy and listen to his show on the weekends. Loves it when he cracks on Barroid since he's a Dodger fan and used to work in the media.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 11:58 pm:

From benmaller.com

If the White Sox wouldd be willing to part with Brandon McCarthy, they might be able to pry away left fielder Carl Crawford from the Tampa Bay Devil Rays. The Sox weren’t happy with Scott Podsednik’s offensive game this season — or his defensive game, for that matter. Crawford would cost a lot in a trade, but the 25-year-old leadoff man is one of the best all-around players in the game. In 2006, Crawford batted .305 and had 18 home runs, 77 RBI and 58 stolen bases. Devil Rays GM Andrew Friedman has said it would take a standout young starter such as McCarthy to get Crawford.

Why do the damn ChiSox always make the trades that I'd love the A's to make. I'd love to add a Crawford type talent or even the the guy himself but I doubt the A's would ever trade for him.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By finleyunplugged on Thursday, November 02, 2006 - 11:00 am:

Perhaps Beane could trade Cormac McCarthy for Crawford.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rocket on Friday, November 03, 2006 - 11:11 am:

>>Boras, meanwhile, has reportedly told some that Zito can expect a five-year, $75 million package -- minimally. <<
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?id=2648096

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By slash034 on Friday, November 03, 2006 - 02:36 pm:

I am guessing that Beane wouldnt mind adding Crawford either but who wouldnt.. I dont think that it is a question whether we want him or not but the question should be at what cost.. what do we have that they want????

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Friday, November 03, 2006 - 02:59 pm:

TB GM said it'd take standout pitcher so if that would include the A's...you'd think either Haren or Blanton, TB probably would choose Haren over Blanton.

They'd probably ask for a big time prospect too in the minors.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By finleyunplugged on Friday, November 03, 2006 - 03:46 pm:

What do people think about Aubrey Huff? His production has been steadily declining the last two years, but the prior two years before that he looked to be bordering on stardom.

High risk?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jesse on Friday, November 03, 2006 - 08:12 pm:

Free agent moves made out of desperation usually end up bad, so I expect the Yankees and Giants to have bad off seasons. It may not be apparent immediatley, but over the course of the next season it will be, and the Sabean and Cashman will be out of a job this time next year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Saturday, November 04, 2006 - 08:22 am:

Do the A's really need another lefty bat in Huff? Like you said his #s have tailed the past few seasons. Doubt we'll ever see the guy who average .300/30/100 in back to back seasons in 03 and 04.

His #s took a huge dip when he was traded to HOU of all places in that bandbox.

Maybe him going back to AL and to a contending team will help him. Wouldn't object to the signing, though would you rather have Huff or Payton? Cause you'd think that'd be the decision.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Sunday, November 05, 2006 - 08:14 pm:

Plenty of interest in Mulder, but apparently not from the A's.

"http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20061105&content_id=1733555&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Friday, November 17, 2006 - 06:09 pm:

Feldman was on KNBR this afternoon and he said that if the A's don't land Bonds, they might go after his teammate for the past two seasons in M.Alou?

Thoughts on acquiring Alou? He would be that right handed stick you could stick at DH as he stinks as a OF now. Would he be a servicable replacement RH power bat with the departure of Thomas..althogh he has a history of injuries too.

He hit .301/22/74 in 345 ABs(98 games) last season.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By raiderjohn on Friday, November 17, 2006 - 06:51 pm:

I think 20 homers from the DH slot would suffice, you have to remember we didn't have Crosby, a healthy Chavez for the majority of the season, I think the 18 homers can easily be picked up between those 2.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Sunday, November 19, 2006 - 01:15 pm:

Chicago radio station ESPN 1000 reported Sunday that the Cubs have signed outfielder Alfonso Soriano to an eight-year contract worth approximately $136 million.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Sunday, November 19, 2006 - 01:55 pm:

That is an insane amount of money.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Sunday, November 19, 2006 - 07:09 pm:

Well he's getting on avearge 17 million per year which is around the mark where it's been rumored that it would take to sign Soriano. Cubbies spending huge money this offseason as they gave Ramirez a huge contract last week too.

I've seen on another A's MB that the A's have interets in ATL's 1B Adam LaRoche? Anybody else hearing this cause I haven't? He'd be a hell of a replacement for Thomas.

He's a lefty but he's from SoCal, will be 27 next season and had a monster offensive season last year with 285/32/90/.915.

ATL probably would want Duke and at least another position player. ATL is thought to be a seller this offseason even the possiblity of them trading away A.Jones.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan on Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 10:26 pm:

The LAA gave Matthews Jr a 5/50 deal?!

Damn, they seriously overpaid for this guy who had one career year and beforehand was a 4th and 5th OF for most of his career.

Not like he's in his mid 20s too and has some room to grow...the guy is 31 I believe. LMAO if this guy busts..though the LAA can afford it.

Guess this means the talk about the LAA maybe trading for a Manny or Tejada are now over, thank god too!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jesse (38.99.6.221) on Wednesday, November 29, 2006 - 09:19 am:

From mlb.com

"Citing baseball sources, the Los Angeles Times reported on Tuesday that the White Sox and Angels are discussing a trade that would send Garcia and third baseman Joe Crede to the Angels for versatile and fast Chone Figgins and 23-year-old starting pitcher Ervin Santana. According to the sources in the article, no trade is imminent and other players could be included in a deal as talks continue. "

If this is true, I'd love it. Chone Figgins and Ervin Santa kill us, I'd much rather deal with Crede and Garcia over 19 game schedule.

I think the A's may actually match up better with the Angels next year based on the moves the Angels are making

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dgaddy1 (71.65.42.89) on Thursday, November 30, 2006 - 07:12 pm:

From MLB.com Hot Stove report:

Mike Piazza has spent his entire Major League career as a virtual designated hitter in the National League.

The 2,042 hits, 419 home runs and 1,291 RBIs he has accumulated while playing for the Los Angeles Dodgers, Florida Marlins, New York Mets and San Diego Padres make Piazza one of the most productive catchers in MLB history and a sure-fire Hall of Fame candidate.

Though a fair-to-middling receiver in his prime, the final years of Piazza's career might be spent as a DH -- and the Oakland Athletics could be his next destination.

"He'd be an interesting fit," A's assistant general manager David Forst told the Marin Independent Journal. "I'd say we are seriously considering him."

Negotiations are ongoing, but a source told the San Francisco Chronicle that Oakland is unlikely to sign Piazza, a Type-A free agent, until after Friday's arbitration deadline so the Athletics do not lose a draft pick. Piazza is believed to be seeking a two-year contract.

Piazza's agent, Dan Lozano, told FOXsports.com that information is still being gathered from all teams interested in his client and signing with anyone is not imminent. The Philadelphia Phillies also are interested, but there is some question as to how many games the 38-year-old from Norristown, Penn., would be able to catch because his legs and knees have taken such a beating over the years.

He was part of a productive one-two tandem with the Padres last season, splitting time with Josh Bard. Piazza played in 99 games behind the plate, hit .283, slugged 22 home runs and drove in 68 runs for his best offensive season since 2002.

Whether it's Piazza, or someone else, whoever becomes the A's next DH has a tough act to follow.

Frank Thomas proved to be one of the best bargains of the 2006 season. He signed an incentive-laden contract with the A's and then went out and hit 39 home runs and drove in 114 runs. He departed via the free-agent door, recently signing a two-year contract with the Toronto Blue Jays.

Athletics general manager Billy Beane, who wanted to re-sign Thomas, explored the possibility of signing Moises Alou or Nomar Garciaparra as the Big Hurt's replacement. But both players are now off the market. Another option might be Barry Bonds, but Piazza figures to cost about half as much, and tote far less baggage.

One Bay Area report said the A's have made a one-year, $7 million offer, but that has not been confirmed, and Bonds reportedly wants at least $14 million to continue his assault on the all-time home run record.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dgaddy1 (65.222.120.131) on Friday, December 01, 2006 - 06:40 am:

What's the latest on Jay Payton?

With Thomas now a Blue Jay, don't you all think we should try to keep his bat in the line-up? He shouldn't be TOO expensive.

Payton, Kotsay, and Bradley doesn't sound bad to me. Bring in a Cliff Floyd (w/ a Thomas-like contract) to rotate with the others, and kick Keilty to the curb.

Comments?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jesse (38.99.6.72) on Friday, December 01, 2006 - 07:58 am:

I'd like to bring back the entire outfield from last year. I think it was one of our strengths.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (71.146.67.232) on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 02:06 pm:

Boy listening to KNBR, keep laughing at them. Brooks and so many of the callers think they actually have a shot of signing Zito. Been hearing that they should go after him even before last season ended.

Yeah, pretty sure they'll willing to dish out the 6/7 year deal worth probably 100+ million for Zito.

Delusional fans right there. Same fans who probably love every single signing of these old farts they've had over the past few days.

Be happy being mediocre in still probably the worst division in all of MLB.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (71.146.116.136) on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 01:02 pm:

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AiubThZ3FcnYnwdBkvL7PB0j0bYF?slug=ap-athleticsmoves&prov=ap&type=lgns

A's sign Embree, saw this move coming. Don't know if it was a need though. The A's already have potentially 3 decent LHRPs in Kennedy, Halsey and Flores. Did Embree's play from last season warrent the pay raise he received when the A's have quality LHRPs that probably could do as good of a job as Embree could the next season or two?

It does look like the A's will sign Piazza.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn (206.173.235.246) on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 01:06 pm:

Better link:
"http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20061206&content_id=1752499&vkey=hotstove2006&fext=.jsp"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jesse (38.99.6.253) on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 01:10 pm:

Well Oaktown I have to say that the Flores is too young and Halsey gets shelled by lefties. I like the signing of Embree a lot.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By raiderjohn (65.168.177.49) on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 01:46 pm:

Embree allows A's more flexibility in starting rotation. Kennedy/Halsey can start, allowing A's to make trades/moves on the currently penciled in staff....of Harden, Haren, Blanton and Loaiza. harden's the rumor to NY for Milledge and prospect....this move maybe domino into a few other moves.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (71.146.69.132) on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 01:49 pm:

Flores is 27 and has done a solid job the past two seasons, albeit, in limited roles.

-38.1 IP, 36 hits, 12 ERs, 10 BBs, 26 Ks, 2.82 ERA.

Though LHs hit a very well against him as they have a .323 BA against him last season.

Really none of the LHs the A's have done well against LHs as Kennedy(.326) or Halsey(.317) also allow a .300+ BA against last season.

Embree has done better allowing .240 BA against LHs but it's not like he's so dominant.

I do like that Embree can throw heat, a few years ago he could reach in the mid 90s easy..don't know if he still can and that's something the A's haven't had in a LH, whether that be as a SP or RP in a LONG TIME.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn (206.173.235.246) on Thursday, December 07, 2006 - 11:07 am:

TLR and BB???

"http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/sports/baseball/mlb/san_francisco_giants/16184208.htm?source=rss&channel=mercurynews_san_francisco_giants"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn (71.131.54.49) on Thursday, December 07, 2006 - 10:06 pm:

Could there be a bigger non-story than Bonds re-signing with the gnats? As big a charade as Beane's search for a new manager.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (75.0.161.227) on Thursday, December 07, 2006 - 10:14 pm:

Been listening to the spin doctors on KNBR the past few hours. These same fans and hosts who said they wanted to rid themselves of the Bonds era are now going a complete 180 saying this is a good move and you should hear the optimism in their voices now..pathetic. Dodgers will run away with that division.

Love to see the spin coming from the media here when Barroid is approaching the record and there will be NO SIGN of a true legend, Hank Aaron, who already publicly said during last season he wouldn't be there when and if Bonds hits 755 or 756.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By pachyderm (207.177.237.4) on Friday, December 08, 2006 - 11:02 am:

Dodgers will run away with that division.

SF handed their former ace, Jason Schmidt to the Dodgers. Majority of MLB fans don't want Bonds to break Aaron's record.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By finleyunplugged (205.225.207.97) on Friday, December 08, 2006 - 05:29 pm:

I think Bonds is worth every penny the Gints are giving him and then some. As he closes in on the HR record, huge crowds will turn out to jeer and hurl epithets at him.

Meanwhile Magowan will be raking in the bucks from these hoards coming out to see an otherwise dismal team.

Surprised our resident Scrooge, Mr. Wolff, didn't see the profit potential in Bonds and outbid the Gints for his services.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (71.146.102.126) on Saturday, December 09, 2006 - 12:15 am:

So long Jay, he signs with Balt? :)

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/HeadLines.aspx?sport=MLB

Still think Beane has something up his sleeve and will land an OF and hopefully keep Swisher at 1B which should be his long term position.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn (71.131.49.233) on Saturday, December 09, 2006 - 11:57 am:

Read it in the Chron this morning.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn (71.131.49.233) on Saturday, December 09, 2006 - 12:12 pm:

Hot Stove summary:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/jon_heyman/12/08/meetings/index.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (71.146.71.18) on Saturday, December 09, 2006 - 05:11 pm:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2691994

Well you can pretty much cross off Floyd's name as a potential LF candidate for the A's. Really, did the A's need ANOTHER injury prone and LH OF?

Beane said in the papers that he'd still like to add a young RH bat if he could.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By renobill (71.94.14.9) on Sunday, December 10, 2006 - 01:30 pm:

Rocco Baldelli is a young RH bat.

Make it happen Billy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (71.146.126.251) on Sunday, December 10, 2006 - 07:10 pm:

Blanton/Calero and maybe another pitching prospect for Baldelli.

I still think landing any TB OF is a pipe dream but I can dream can I? :)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By renobill (71.94.14.9) on Sunday, December 10, 2006 - 10:15 pm:

I think Blanton is going to get better and better.

As long as we are dreaming here, maybe substitute Loaiza and add DJ.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (71.146.89.77) on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 12:49 am:

Blanton regressed BADLY last season, if not for his dominance against SEA in his 4 starts, his #s would look very very mediocre, especially his ERA/WHIP/BA against.

Think Blanton if he could keep his weight in check can be a solid #3 who can win you in the early to mid teens easy..he worries me just cause of that and because his stuff isn't that overpowering so if he's not hitting his spots, he's gonna get tagged a lot and often, something we all saw from him last season.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (71.146.115.182) on Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 06:45 pm:

Urban thinks that possibly both Blanton and or Gaudin could be part of a package deal to get a young OF.

http://oakland.athletics.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20061219&content_id=1764435&vkey=news_oak&fext=.jsp&c_id=oak

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By okplayer (71.139.206.1) on Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 09:23 pm:

meh otf, he didn't give much meat. urban doesn't speculate much so there could be merit to this but I'll believe it when i see it. i would think gaudin and blanton would bring in something pretty sweet. but please someone that's proven, not milledge. i'll do delmon young. there's a headcase i can deal with.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By raiderjohn (65.168.177.49) on Friday, December 22, 2006 - 10:54 am:

Around the league news:

D-Train gets married 2 weeks later arrested for DUI.

Griffey Jr. broke his left hand at home:
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2706196

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn (71.131.18.31) on Friday, December 22, 2006 - 09:56 pm:

Rumor Central on Mark Mulder. He may be a free agent, but, ladies, he's off the market.

The bidding game
Dec 21 - The Rangers are still very much in the mix for Mark Mulder, The Dallas Morning News reports. Mulder's agent, Gregg Clifton, recently sent a counterproposal to Texas GM Jon Daniels.
"I'm just waiting to hear from Jon, who I think will be getting back to me soon," Clifton told the newspaper. "They've been busy with a few things the last few days. We're giving every team the opportunity to complete the negotiations and then Mark can make a decision."

The Indians have stepped forward with a two-year offer for Mulder, sources tell ESPN.com's Jerry Crasnick.

The left-hander is coming off shoulder surgery and isn't expected to be ready by Opening Day. But some clubs have been creative and expressed a willingness to make more than a straight one-year commitment because of the pitcher's potential upside in 2008. Arizona, for example, proposed a one-year contract with four option years.

Mulder, who got married last weekend in Scottsdale, Ariz., is currently on his honeymoon and keeping in touch with Clifton by phone. He plans to make his decision after the Cardinals, Rangers and Diamondbacks make their final pitches.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (71.146.101.69) on Wednesday, January 17, 2007 - 08:45 pm:

ATL trades LaRoache who was rumored VERY EARLY on this offseason as possibly somebody the A's would go after for Gonzalez.

Good moves by both teams.

ATL gets a very good closer in Gonzalez, 29, who was 24/24 on saves oppurtunities last season with a 2.17 ERA and in 4 seasons in MLB has a 2.37 ERA in 155+ IP.

LaRoche, 27, hit .285/32/90/.915 last season. Gives them two very good bats now to go along with Bay...but the rest of the team stinks.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.