Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

Letter from Wolff to A's Fans

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: Letter from Wolff to A's Fans
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Tuesday, November 14, 2006 - 08:45 am:

http://oakland.athletics.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/oak/ballpark/new/owner_letter.jsp

from the letter...liar liar your pants on fire!!!!

When our ownership group took over control of the A's in April of 2005, our main priority was to secure a new facility to replace the Coliseum, which is no longer an acceptable Major League Baseball facility. The biggest challenge we faced was finding a piece of land that was large enough to accommodate a project this size.

Our initial focus was limited to Oakland, which has been our home since 1968. As you might remember, in August of 2005, we unveiled an ambitious plan to revitalize a 90-acre parcel of land just north of the Coliseum along the 880 corridor. It was our vision to create more than just a ballpark, but one of the next major urban centers of the Bay Area that we felt would add greatly to the economic base and community image of the City of Oakland.

Follow up discussions regarding this site with Oakland city officials unveiled insurmountable challenges, specifically relating to the existing businesses in the area. All other sites we explored in Oakland were unsuitable for a wide variety of reasons, thus we focused our attention on other sites in Alameda County and eventually came to the conclusion the Fremont site was our best option for a future ballpark site. The land was both available and attainable, it's location was well within our territorial rights as defined by Major League Baseball, and was owned by one of the world's leading companies that demonstrated interest in partnering with our organization on a naming rights agreement.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevink on Tuesday, November 14, 2006 - 09:13 am:

He lies and then doesn't even have the guts to say they will now be the "San Jose A's".

Pathetic!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevink on Tuesday, November 14, 2006 - 09:15 am:

Just curious, where is the funding coming from for this new stadium, Cisco?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By fansince79 on Tuesday, November 14, 2006 - 09:23 am:

Fisher I believe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oakfan on Tuesday, November 14, 2006 - 09:26 am:

Wolff should be on "Dancing with the Stars". Any key issue he just used the "I have to discuss with Fremont first" excuse.

Also, what was with Selig. So unprofessional and frumpy. Did the dude just get done sucking on a lemon or come from his mom's funeral?

The Cisco CEO made the two of them look really bad. That guy is a PR machine. Cisco will be using this stadium as their real world lab.

Also, did you note the price assumed for the good seats during the Cisco demo, $56. I suppose that has to do with it being 4-5 years in the future but you can sure see the writing on the wall that most fans are will be priced right out of any decent seats.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Tuesday, November 14, 2006 - 09:37 am:

Bud always looks like that -- bitter beer face.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By cuppingmaster on Tuesday, November 14, 2006 - 09:56 am:

No matter what anyone says, and what Wolff said himself that despite the city's best efforts they probably DO have better uses for the land than a ballpark. While Oakland indeed has a wonderful and rich history, it needs to help shed its image to the rest of the country as an unsafe destination. Housing and new development in downtown is one way to get there. You can erect quite a bit of housing on the swath of land a ballpark would take up.

No flames, just saying that the A's aren't THE most important issue in Oakland politics, nor should they be.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By fansince79 on Tuesday, November 14, 2006 - 10:38 am:

Very true, however, they are not mutually exclusive. The city could have focused on a new ballpark and reinvigorating our downtown and image at the same time. Our local govt does not put all its energies into one priority. City safety and image should be higher than keeping the A's, however, keeping the A's should have been on the list. Unfortunately, our govt is failing at both anyway.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Tuesday, November 14, 2006 - 10:58 am:

Cisco's stocks have shot up like crazy. Chambers was frothing at the mouth for having associated himself with the MLB mafia that controls and manipulates Congress like marionettes.

Chambers said...this is NOT a marriage, you (MLB) have adopted me. He will be dictating how fans will "enjoy" the game and will be teaching future generations how to be baseball fans.

Like I said many times...baseball owners at the end get the fandom they create and deserve.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By robfre on Tuesday, November 14, 2006 - 11:09 am:

Folks: I knew this day was coming... it just took longer than I expected.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevink on Tuesday, November 14, 2006 - 01:28 pm:

Lil,
Sorry this may be nitpicking but Cisco's stock hasn't really done much in a few years. In the last 2 years it's gone from 19 to 26. I have my doubts as to if this is a smart investment by Cisco, seems like a lot of wasted money to me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Tuesday, November 14, 2006 - 02:48 pm:

Yeah, if I sound like sour grapes is because I am real sour.

Wolff should have at least sent a thank you to all the fans who he has disfranchised with his lies and false promisses.

Many fans who have supported this team for 20 to 30 years will never be able to go to Cisco Field.
And many young fans who learned to love baseball going to the Coli will never get to watch the Oakland A's when they get to high school. In four or five years they'll be gone 20 miles down the road and millions of dollars out of reach for them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dorrit on Tuesday, November 14, 2006 - 02:55 pm:

Like I mentioned on the other post, seniors who have dedicated and supported this team for years will have no public transportation now. They kept plugging young people attending. That's nice, but screwing the many fans that need public transportation are out of luck.Don't want to hear the B.S. of "we're doing this for the fans.." RIGHT...I'm telling you right now, we can't go without BART.Wolff completely ignored the public transportation issue when he was questioned on it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By okplayer on Tuesday, November 14, 2006 - 04:25 pm:

how in gods green earth does this scumsucker wiff on getting a yard near bart when it runs down the entire friggen east bay practically...dumbass.

is it near caltrain? bet it is. this is all about the lame-ass dead-ass south bay.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By cuppingmaster on Tuesday, November 14, 2006 - 05:21 pm:

Having been to a couple other ballparks, I can tell you that those that have public transportation nearby have a huge contingent of fans who take advantage of its convenience.

On the other hand, I've been to both Dodger Stadium and Angels Stadium. The Metrolink or MTA doesn't get within any reasonable distance to Angels Stadium, and while there may be a bus to Dodger Stadium... I've never seen a stop. Both clubs enjoy more than ample attendance, and Angels Stadium specifically has merit for comparison because it is in the middle of an industrial/suburban part of Anaheim, which is alr Notwithstanding, of course, the Mouse House in the same city.

Make no mistake, there will be some sort of transit access from the Fremont BART or from a light rail line or whatever. It just won't be a walk across the bridge anymore.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By cuppingmaster on Tuesday, November 14, 2006 - 05:23 pm:

Having been to a couple other ballparks, I can tell you that those that have public transportation nearby have a huge contingent of fans who take advantage of its convenience.

On the other hand, I've been to both Dodger Stadium and Angels Stadium. The Metrolink or MTA doesn't get within any reasonable distance to Angels Stadium, and while there may be a bus to Dodger Stadium... I've never seen a stop. Both clubs enjoy more than ample attendance, and Angels Stadium specifically has merit for comparison because it is in the middle of an industrial/suburban part of Anaheim. Notwithstanding, of course, the Mouse House in the same city.

Make no mistake, there will be some sort of transit access from the Fremont BART or from a light rail line or whatever. It just won't be a walk across the bridge anymore.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rockoaka on Tuesday, November 14, 2006 - 05:45 pm:

I almost vomited when I received my E-mail from Wolf today. His smiling mug in my inbox. Just wait for the letter this conviening, carpetbaggin, sob will receive when I send in my season ticket renewal form. No, wolffe its not going to be a check for your lame duck franchise.

Regarding public transportation. Its going to be buses. Bart is not going to build anysort of light rail or spur from this imaginary station in warm springs. That wont be built till the good folks of santa clara county approve a tax to bring bart into sj. There are train tracks near the site, apparently ACE commuter train rolls by, a ticket from pleasanton to Sj is 7.50 one way. A trip on Amtrack from Oakland (Jack London sq) to Fremont is 9.00 one way. BART is 6.40 round trip from Fremont to Coliseum Bart.
Also those tracks are used by Southern Pacfic railroad for shipping purposes. It could be a very expensive trip to bring the kiddies to the old ball game.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Tuesday, November 14, 2006 - 05:50 pm:

And it won't be for 10 years either.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By stevo on Wednesday, November 15, 2006 - 02:59 pm:

So who pays for the infrastructure upgrade, including any extras for BART riders (such as a connector to the new ballpark)? Should the people of Oakland be expected to pay for these goodies via their tax dollars, when the relocation (putting aside for a moment all the negatives it also brings) improves Fremont's economy at the expense of Oakland's?

Hmmm...

And the County in general, should it shell out those infrastructure/transportation dollars, already knowing way in advance that any accommodation of the new ballpark will devastate Oakland, most particularly the Coliseum, the best interests of which the JPA (including the elected officials who are on the Board) is charged to administer and look out for? Start counting the votes needed on the Board of Supervisors and it could become very difficult for a majority to commit to any kind of Fremont freebies.

So where's the money? Even if the State puts up soomething via CalTrans, it will do so only because some official somewhere puts a request in front of a Committee or an Assemblymember and then fights for it all the way through the budget process. Assuming that a higher and better use for those funds is also being fought for by some other policymaker, it seems highly unlikely that any money can find its way into Fremont without the consent of our local officials - unless, of course, it's all going to come out of the pockets of Fremonters and Fremonters alone.

One might suspect that the community will be about as split down there in South County as it is up here: schools and other civic priorities have a way of pushing the issue of new ballparks to the bottom of the heap, especially when there's better, brighter and less expensive plans for already existing ballparks that socially-oriented voters can point to. So the two thirds vote necessary for a new bond issue will be awfully hard to push through in old F-Town.

Hmmm, again....

So the real problem will be the owners' decision to take the A's out of the area entirely - as they threaten on virtually every occasion. But can those same owners really do that after working so hard to get permission from Selig just to move "down the road?" And, given Lew's desire to move everything closer to his base of operations, will shuttling back and forth to Vegas, Fresno or wherever else he thinks he might want to build a megamall be worth pursuing?

Let's face it, if Fremont fails as a suitable location for any number of reasons, he's back to square one; and if Oakland has a good deal on the table, maybe he'll begin to get real about why the Coli is the obvious, best place to be. How long does he want to wait before he gets to see a game in one of those brand new luxury boxes he's dreaming of? Of Cleopatra it was said that age could not wither her nor custom stale her infinite variety; the rest of us don't have it so lucky and simply can't afford a kick asp attitude as we start to get on in years: maybe that's true for Lew, too?

?????

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By tpzuooeh (6.192.36.177.static.ntbr.com.br - 177.36.192.6) on Friday, May 27, 2011 - 11:53 pm:

Authentication Error

Your username/password combination was invalid, or you do not have permission to post to this topic. You may revise your username and password using the form at the bottom of this page.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.