Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

Somebody please Play Taps for them to hear

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: Somebody please Play Taps for them to hear
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Tuesday, November 14, 2006 - 03:09 pm:

September 22, 1965, Eddie Matthews came to bat in the eight inning when a sole bugler played taps in the outfield.

Mr. Wolff, Billy Beane and Mike Crowley should invite Selig to hear the trumpet guy play taps in the outfield at the Oakland A's last at bat at the Coli.

I certainly won't be there to hear it. I've been there and done that. I've paid my dues to the game I loved with a passion of a lifetime.
Enough is enough.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By feelgoodinc on Wednesday, November 15, 2006 - 05:03 am:

Yeah. That deserved its own thread.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By circusbass on Wednesday, November 15, 2006 - 08:27 am:

What is the correlation with Sept 22, 1965 and the last at bat in Oakland?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oakland4ever on Wednesday, November 15, 2006 - 09:07 am:

Matthews played for the Milwaukee Braves & they moved to Atlanta in 1966.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By viewfrom317 on Wednesday, November 15, 2006 - 05:58 pm:

lil-thanks for your post and for the site. As i've said in my (rare) posts, I lost my A's "family" when they tarped the 3rd deck. Fremont is out for me for a lot of reasons, but mostly because it sounds like Pac Bell 2.0, and who needs THAT? Showing my age here, but I emember when my beloved bedraggled Senators moved from DCStadium to texas, so I'm surely an old fart...
Heard it said that life's ultimate lesson is to cherish what you have and let it go when it's time (see "Bill King"). This DOESN'T seem like the "time", but, bottom line, money trumps all, right? Again, thanks for the site...I don't know whats up with it the last few days, but i fear I'll be moving on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Wednesday, November 15, 2006 - 06:07 pm:

We're not going anywhere, Michael, so please stick around!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By me_94501 on Friday, November 17, 2006 - 08:21 pm:

I don't know how the proposed Fremont move will affect my status as an A's fan. On one hand, I can't imagine not being an A's fan. But on the other hand, I can't imagine being as strong a fan as I have been once to move takes place.

It's a lot like how the New York football teams play in New Jersey, but even though it's only 25 miles away from me in Alameda it might as well be 2500.

Now if you excuse me, I think I'm gonna cry... :(

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.