Help
Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

its this kind of talk part of the reason the A's are moving out of Oaklnd

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: its this kind of talk part of the reason the A's are moving out of Oaklnd
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sactodavey on Wednesday, November 15, 2006 - 01:37 pm:

from sf chronicel article:

And in Oakland, Ignacio De La Fuente, a City Council member who also serves on the Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum Authority's board of directors, suggested that his city might even benefit if the team moved.

"To be candid, we made more money in one Rolling Stones concert than the A's made (us) in a whole year. We will deal with it," De La Fuente said

Coliseum officials say the city and county make virtually nothing on the team. The joint-powers Coliseum Authority received a $22 million subsidy this year from the city and county to operate the complex, which includes the indoor Oakland Arena. The ballpark underwent an expensive reconfiguration in the 1990s to accommodate the returning Oakland Raiders football team.

De La Fuente pointed out that the A's get 100 percent of revenue from concessions and parking during their 81 home games as well as most of the advertising revenue. The A's and Raiders share some of the ad revenue.

"I think they're going to really have to try hard to find other cities that will be as generous to them," he said of the A's.

wow what a defeatist attittude but i dont understand if the A's get 100% of everything why cant they make it in oakland at 100% capacity or 2.2 million without tarps? i dont understand where spending 500 million on a park pays off .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Wednesday, November 15, 2006 - 02:12 pm:

all DLF said is the truth...

The City of Oakland have for years been bilked out of food concessions and parking. They would have made some money with tickets but Wolff put the tarp up and suppressed attendance to below 2 million.

The City of Oakland is losing money by hosting the A's but yet the A's are complaining they can't survive in Oakland.

I believe Oakland will come out of this better than the A's. And frankly, I don't think I'll lose sleep over it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By chrishorvath on Wednesday, November 15, 2006 - 03:02 pm:

It's like any relationship. You try to make it work, you try to show the other person that you care, but eventually, after they talk smack about you and continually threaten to leave, you gotta just open the door and say "then get the fuck out."

No one wants to be the pathetic loser that begs their ex to come back.

Fuck the A's. DLF speaks for me. Good riddance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Wednesday, November 15, 2006 - 03:28 pm:

The A's CAN make it in Oakland. They made a profit many years in a row. Wolff just wants to make MORE money somewhere else.

Chrishorvath also speaks the truth -- like a jilted lover. :)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Wednesday, November 15, 2006 - 04:18 pm:

Chris is right on...

It is like a husband finds out his wife moved in with his neighbor only two houses away...and so the guy's friends keep telling him that he just didn't have the money to buy the stuff his wife deserved and so she moved in with his richer neighbor who can afford to give her jewells...but after all...no big deal...his wife is just two houses down the road and he can always go visit her at her new digs.

I agree...I hope the A's and Wolff fall on their greedy faces. I speak as a jilted fan/lover.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By feelgoodinc on Wednesday, November 15, 2006 - 04:49 pm:

You spelled jewels wrong.

Just curious, where do you guys sit at the Coliseum? I'd like to find the equivalent seats at Cisco Field to sit in and enjoy wine and cheese during the opener. Looks like the seats will be available. But don't fret, I'm sure the A's will find room for you in the third deck when you come crawling back after a year or two.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevink on Wednesday, November 15, 2006 - 04:52 pm:

don't forget your laptop

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By feelgoodinc on Wednesday, November 15, 2006 - 04:55 pm:

My laptop! I won't, I promise. I can keep up with my stocks and business e-mails and engage in other behavior not indicative of a "true fan". I hope they get good WiFi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By fansince79 on Wednesday, November 15, 2006 - 05:04 pm:

f* you feelgood

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By cuppingmaster on Wednesday, November 15, 2006 - 05:10 pm:

No one here is married to the A's for goodness sake. The other scenario is that when you're really in love with the person and they mess up, you forgive. You don't spend the rest of your life saying you're better off and go marry their best friend or arch nemesis -- just to spite them.

A's baseball is still a great thing, Fremont, Oakland or Omaha. Sure as hell better than being a Giants fan!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By leftfield139 on Wednesday, November 15, 2006 - 05:12 pm:

You know I get the feeling feelgood is making a more of a mockery of the new A's fan and the new stadium then we give him credit for.

He is making fun of the people that like the idea of a new stadium

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By fansince79 on Wednesday, November 15, 2006 - 05:47 pm:

Why is being a fan of the Fremont A's better than being a Giants fan?
I've been a fan of the A's for 27 years (I know, obviously) but it hasn't been because every team through the years consisted of all my favorite players, managers, coaches and owners. I've been a fan because they have been my city's team. Now that they aren't, why should I root for them? I hate the ownership, Billy is an overbearing ass, I like some of the players a lot, but most of them only as much as other guys around the league and they are going to play in a suburban wasteland.
I rooted for the A's from Billy Ball to Bash Brothers to the Big Three to now. But those were all very different, unique teams. The only thing that connects Billy Ball to the Big Three is that they were the Oakland A's. Other than that, the teams of those eras are differnt teams, just as the A's and Giants are different teams.
I'm wasn't an A's fan because I think Swisher is the greatest or Zito is the man. I think Swisher is the greatest and Zito is the man because they play for the A's. If Swisher is going to play in Fremont, then I have no reason to root for him or the team moe than I have to root for Miguel Cabrera and the Marlins.
So, basically, without a team in Oakland I have no allegiance. I can pick any team. The Fremont A's will be an expensive ticket, difficult to get to, and the stadium/developement will be far too fake urban for my tastes. Add to that the fact that the A's are abandoning my city, lied throughout the whole process and stealing away something that has meant very much to me throughout my life and it all puts them at teh bottom of my list of teams to root for. In fact, it puts them at the top of my list of teams to root against. They will be the epitomy of everything I dislike in baseball today.
So who to root for? I want to root for someone, I do love baseball. Well, the Giants aren't a team I partcularly like. They are an expensive ticket, the fans at teh games have no knowledge about baseball, the have barry, etc. But, their games are televised locally, I can go to more games than I could for any other team besides the A's because of proximity, they are in a rebuilding mode so that can be interesting to follow, etc.
Yeah, I'll never be a fan of the giants like I was of the A's, not even close, but that's why I now choose to root for them and not the A's. 20 miles away or 2000, fuck em.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By feelgoodinc on Wednesday, November 15, 2006 - 05:52 pm:

Let me guess. Your favorite Led Zeppelin song is "Ramble On". Interesting post but I needed to take a break after Chapter 6. I'll try and finish reading it in a little while.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By armond on Wednesday, November 15, 2006 - 07:09 pm:

hey fansince79 i feel ya but please dont sellout and root for the giants. remember this is the team ralph barbieri roots for. that alone is enough for me to hate them and its still FRISCO!! that idiot jt the brick talked about how the crime rate and all may go up because the infrastructure wont be put in place now that a downtown stadium wont be built. i guess he hasnt seen nor heard of all the developments going on in the city. there are parts of oakland from hegenberger to west oakland and the san antonio district near fruitvale bart that i dont even recognize when i go back up there. remember when the old montgomery wards building was just rotting away? look at the area now after being completely revamped. i cant believe someone would be so stupid as to think the city would crumble because of them. if thats the case what the hell have they been contributing since being here?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By fansince79 on Wednesday, November 15, 2006 - 07:22 pm:

armond, you're right on, dude is a huge jerk. gotta root for somebody though and no way it's the fremont a's of san jose. Needs to be someone I can watch and follow closely. I've been anti-Giants for a long time now, how can you not, being and A's fan. But, really, they've never done anything to me, they didn't leave their city. And one prick fan of theirs isn't gonna make enough difference. Look at all the jerk A's fans posting their pleasure at the A's move on this site over the last couple of days. Maybe I'll consider the Mariners. I do really like Ichiro, and then I could really root against the A's. hmmmmmm
And yah, barbieri is an idiot, the A's didn't mean squat in terms of rejuvenating Oakland, they could have been a part of that in the future, but have chosen not to. Oakland will continue to improve without them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By armond on Wednesday, November 15, 2006 - 08:43 pm:

why root for anybody? hey im not sayin u have to be like me and not watch mlb altogether but i just dont see supporting a league who did everything possible to get the A's outta here. i'll say dont root for anyone just watch baseball and appreciate the luv of the game. understand this tho, you will be playing right into the midgets hand by rooting for them. an A's fan lost but a giant fan gained is how i see it. i aiint havin that!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By fansince79 on Wednesday, November 15, 2006 - 09:24 pm:

the way i see it is self-reducing my enjoyment of the game makes me the biggest loser. I maximize my love of baseball by having a rooting interest. I don't see how I'm playing into the midgets hands, they certainly aren't behind this.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Wednesday, November 15, 2006 - 10:00 pm:

We could become Rangers fans!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By cuppingmaster on Wednesday, November 15, 2006 - 10:17 pm:

That'll be the day, eyleenn! :-)

But seriously, why SO much dislike? They will leave Oakland, but they didn't pilage, plunder, and burn before doing so.

Where do you draw the line then? Literally to some extent, if the stadium was built almost next to the Oakland/San Leandro boundary but ACTUALLY located in San Leandro, would you still not root for the A's? You could literally walk across the city line somewhere in the parking lot. Where's too far? Alameda? Berkeley boundary?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By chrishorvath on Wednesday, November 15, 2006 - 11:58 pm:

I like your take on everything FanSince79'.

True fans root for the location on the jersey, not the company name.

Because at the end of the day, it is just a company. Why would anyone swear allegiance to a company? Only because they represented your hometown.

Which the Athletics no longer do.

So, in picking a new company to root for, I'll switch to the Giants cuz they're closer to Oakland and I like SF better.

That is until Oakland gets a Golden League team.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ramjet1 on Thursday, November 16, 2006 - 10:06 am:

Fansince 79 I've been a fan since 71 and you speak for me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By armond on Thursday, November 16, 2006 - 10:09 pm:

it doesnt make you the biggest loser. i dont feel like that because i cant stand what mlb has become, thats a personal decision we differ on. i do believe you will be playing into the giants hands because u have a rooting interest which means u will watch them on tv therefore increasing their ratings. eventually that may lead to a few trips to pacbell, at&t aol park whatever the hell they call it. whatever you do it is your decision and if you do become a giants fan thats exactly what they want which is why they would love to have the A's out of the area completely. leftover A's fans may become giant fans.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By fansince79 on Thursday, November 16, 2006 - 11:43 pm:

the giants have been the enemy on the field for me as an a's fan, but they aren't the enemy off the field - the a's ownership and mlb i.e. selig are. with the a's leaving my city they aren't my team's rival anymore. that leaves only the a's management and selig as enemies. not supporting the a's is how i can put a stake in the ground regarding my feelings about them. selig, sadly, the only thing i could do is not be a fan of baseball at all, and i am not prepared to go that far. the way i see it, rooting for the giants is actually another way to stick it to a's managements and ownership.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ramjet1 on Friday, November 17, 2006 - 12:44 pm:

Well you spoke for me up to your last post fansince79, I just dont like the Giants and can't bring myself to return to them. Their media machine has been so negative to A's fans and Oakland in general that I just can't stomach their product. The business that MLB has become is to bottom line for me to give them my loyalty. Where were Wolff and Fisher in 79 certainly not at any A's games, there both just rich carpetbaggers making a quick buck so they can sell the team at a generous profit 10 years from now. Do they really need a new ballpark, considering they've been subsidized for the past 10 years. We the fans are expendable. So what if they piss off fans in Oakland, Berkeley, or Marin they dont care cause we are obviously a dime a dozen. The bottom line is, the bottom line, "profits". "Hey I might as well work for Enron", we saw what happened to all their loyal employees, and to think MLB had one of their fields named after those bastards.

I must face reality I was a true fan of the Haas era A's predicated on ownership that cared and believed in Oakland.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bleacherdave on Friday, November 17, 2006 - 01:25 pm:

I became a fan of the A's when they were owned by the ultimate carpetbagger - Charlie Finley. Guy never even moved to the Bay Area.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.