Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

Why Fremont Sucks

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: Why Fremont Sucks
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By chrishorvath on Friday, November 17, 2006 - 12:09 pm:

For starters, and this has bothered me my whole life, it's pronounced Free-mont, with two e's, and yet it's spelled with only one. That's so stupid.

Please add your own two-cents about this suburban wasteland.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rayfossefan on Friday, November 17, 2006 - 12:10 pm:

I call it "Freakmont".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Friday, November 17, 2006 - 03:35 pm:

Fremont is a French name. Doesn't really translate into English any other way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By pachyderm on Friday, November 17, 2006 - 04:11 pm:

Fleas-mont sounds good or how about Flee-mont? According to my college U.S. history instructor, Fremont was military hero but a jerk.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By finleyunplugged on Friday, November 17, 2006 - 04:11 pm:

Good knowledge Ey. Fremont is indeed an adaptation from the French, "Fromage."

Translation: Someplace cheesy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By chrishorvath on Friday, November 17, 2006 - 05:54 pm:

Alright, but we were talking about why Fremont sucks.

So here's another one; one time I was at Fry's (the only reason I'd ever go there) and I decided visit Jack in the Box across the street.

Due to the amount of car lanes on the street and the sheer size of the parking lot, I literally had to get into my car and drive to the restaurant.

I had to drive to get to the freakin' store across the street!

That's just stupid.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By okplayer on Friday, November 17, 2006 - 05:59 pm:

yeah, all i know of fremont is fry's too and that jack in the crack accross the way. frankly, the staidum would have been better near the hills by 580...from a scenic perspective...i really don't care though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Saturday, November 18, 2006 - 02:31 am:

I don't know where the Free came from but MONT in french means small mountain.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By fansince79 on Saturday, November 18, 2006 - 12:54 pm:

Fremont is named for John C Fremont. He was a military officer and an extremely accomplished explorer during the mid 19th century. Interestingly, he is also tied to another place in the Bay named after a famous Californian from that era, Jose Berryesa, whose murder he ordered at the time. He led many successful military expeditions during the Mexican-American war and became one of California's first senators. He was then a successful general for the Union during the Civil War, but lost his post due to disagreement with Lincoln.
John Fremont's name is derived from Fre'mon. Unfortunately, I know no French so I have no idea what his name's meaning might be. Maybe like Freeman?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By fansince79 on Saturday, November 18, 2006 - 12:56 pm:

Oh, so to Chris' orginal post. Pronouncing it like Free-mont is an americanization of the correct pronunciation. It should be pronounced like the original word Fre'-mon, with a French accent.
Sure makes it sound a lot more sophisticated than it really is huh. Lol.
BTW, the Tricity area (Freemont, Union City, Newark) has 4 wal-marts ;-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Saturday, November 18, 2006 - 01:25 pm:

The Wal-Mart A's?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By feelgoodinc on Sunday, November 19, 2006 - 09:16 pm:

Fremont is a city named after someone who actually accomplished something in his life.

If they named a town Horvath, it would likely be a place where nothing ever got done, but all of the residents had snarky comments at the ready for anyone who dared disagree with them about anything. The only exception would be in the dreams of the residents of Horvath, where great things were constantly accomplished which made the world a better place.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By chrishorvath on Sunday, November 19, 2006 - 11:53 pm:

It's true, I can't lie. If there were a town named Horvath I gotta assume nothing would ever get done. Everyone would sleep in till' noon and no one would ever fix the roads. You'd have your garbage collected once a month, if you were lucky.

But beer would be really cheap and all the movie theaters would show old Clint Eastwood flicks.

We'd also have a cool minor league baseball team named The Horvath Snarkys. They'd play in a little ballpark in the middle of old town Horvath. A bag of peanuts would cost fifty cents.

It's be just like baseball in Bull Durham.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By fansince79 on Monday, November 20, 2006 - 12:08 am:

Feelyourself, quit exposing your shortcomings by prolifically making up statements about people you know nothing about. It's tiresome and juvenille. The fact that you have felt the need to vent so often and so vitrolically to his having corrected your grammar exposes your feelings of inadequacy. You came on here posting comments with the intent to piss off as many people as possible and you've succeeded. Congratulations. It's not hard to piss people off, especially anonymously. Making people feel good is much more of a challenge. So, don't go around patting yourself on the back for being able to upset people. You weren't invited to come here and post your jerk comments, so you deserve everything you've gotten back and much more. I wish you would just go away. Unfortunately, I'm sure you will not. Fortunately, I can ignore you after one final salvo. You're a coward and an asshole.

Well, the A's are leaving, I've vented about it for days now on this site. Thanks Lil for providing the forum to do so and for everything you and all the others in the OAFC did to try and keep the A's in Oakland. At this point my venting will only become repetitious and I have no desire to partake in the other discussions about the A's that are going on here, as I don't care what goes on with the team at this point. Further, I don't want to read any more comments from people happy they are staying in the east bay and certainly have no need to read posts from fuckers like Feelinghimself who are here only to rub it in. So, I bid you all ciao, please keep your pride Oaklanders, and I hope you can find enjoyment in the great game of baseball in the years ahead.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By leftfield139 on Monday, November 20, 2006 - 12:23 am:

Feel good is humor why can't anyone see that. He is like Borat or any other made up person. He is funny, he is making fun of the person he pretending to be. Showing himself as the kind of shallow ass hole who does not mind the move.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bubba69 (70.132.21.191) on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 07:04 pm:

yea but how many Starbucks...that is how you really measure a cities success...Livermore has 11!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By tekgraf (76.210.160.6) on Wednesday, February 07, 2007 - 03:04 pm:

holy cow! Did I miss something?

Who is this person fansince79 is referring to? Whatever, it reads like you got him. Good!

As of this day, actually it was when the A's annouce their ball park plans in fremont, I shall not support MLB again. Unless, by some miracle, the A's come to their senses and build within the city limits of Oakland. Yeah, hope!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.