Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

Zito, Boras visit Rangers

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: Zito, Boras visit Rangers
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rayfossefan (75.30.66.127) on Thursday, November 30, 2006 - 11:35 pm:

man why is it harder to see Zito go than it was Mulder and Hudson???

Zito, Boras visit Rangers

ARLINGTON, Texas (AP) -- Barry Zito met Thursday with the Texas Rangers, the team that failed to sign the ace left-hander after drafting him in 1998.

Zito and his agent, Scott Boras, visited with Rangers owner Tom Hicks, general manager Jon Daniels and other team officials.

A year after the Rangers drafted Zito in the third round, Oakland made him a first-round pick in 1999 out of college. Zito went 102-63 in 222 starts for the Athletics the past seven seasons and won the AL Cy Young Award in 2002. He finished 16-10 with a 3.83 ERA in 34 starts this year, then became a free agent.

Zito expressed interest in Texas last month after Ron Washington, an Oakland coach the past 11 seasons, became the Rangers' new manager.

With Kevin Millwood the only starter sure to return to their rotation, the Rangers have been trying to add pitching. They were outbid for the negotiating rights to Japanese pitchers Daisuke Matsuzaka and Kei Igawa.

Free-agent right-hander Adam Eaton signed a $24 million, three-year contract this week with Philadelphia, even after missing half of last season for Texas with a finger injury. Vicente Padilla, a 15-game winner for the Rangers, is still a free agent.

Millwood was 16-12 after being the team's key free-agent addition last winter. Boras got the right-hander a $60 million, five-year deal.

Boras, the agent for Matsuzaka, also negotiated the $252 million, 10-year deal Alex Rodriguez got from the Rangers in December 2000, and Texas' $65 million, five-year contract for Chan Ho Park the next year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (71.146.94.128) on Friday, December 01, 2006 - 10:42 am:

Maybe cause Zito was the biggest character of them all? Plus, the guy didn't miss a start during his 7 year career wtih the A's while both Mulder and Hudson missed starts both in the regular and postseason..Zito may not be the Cy Young SP who went 23-6 in 2002 but he was the most reliable SP the A's had during the "Big 3" era.

Zito with the Rangers...liked to see how he feels pitching their half the time as a flyball pitcher in that bandbox especially in the summer time. Yes, he had that no hitter almost last season but still can't see him doing any better there than he did with the A's.

Zito still think will be a NYM.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevink (72.130.177.236) on Friday, December 01, 2006 - 10:51 am:

Seems like it's turning into the Texas Athletics. If TX gets Zito they may be scary next year.
Dammit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By asch (72.49.41.101) on Friday, December 01, 2006 - 11:23 am:

I am not sad to see zito go - I wish him the best, but besides durability, I don't think he's as good as he's being portrayed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By okplayer (70.90.165.205) on Friday, December 01, 2006 - 02:39 pm:

what's his career vorp? where's yc when you actually need him?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (71.146.84.91) on Friday, December 01, 2006 - 02:40 pm:

Zito did go 15-11 with a 3.80 ERA in the AL the past two years with the A's, and how many games did the A's blow for him these past two seasons due to poor offense or the bullpen? Maybe #s approaching double digets and I think Zito could've won at least 20 games once in the past two seasons.

Zito I don't think is a elite #1 SP in MLB on the level of a Santana, Halladay, or Carpenter. But think he could be a VERY GOOD #2, maybe a lower level #1 especially if he could land on a team with a good offense that can support him.

Plus, when he reaches the playoffs, he's as good as there has been since he came up in 2000. Now he did have the very poor outing in his last very performance against DET in the ALCS but that was maybe his only below average start he's ever had in the postseason.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By asch (72.49.41.101) on Friday, December 01, 2006 - 04:59 pm:

Zito's not horrible, he's just not as good as many think. He's had the luxury of playing with some very good defenses behind him. He's had overall good PS stats, but certainly crapped the bed this year (though, I am not holding that against him).

You bring up the run support - Might I remind you that Blanton basically outpitched him 2 years ago and also had little run support - I had made a post re: all the games the team blew for him, he would have easily had 20 wins that year too.

Point is, his (Zito's) numbers aren't insanely good and I think you can get a replacement pitcher that will put up decent numbers at a FRACTION of the cost. So, yes, I think he's gonna be way overpaid and I think we can win w/o him.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (71.146.70.57) on Friday, December 01, 2006 - 05:07 pm:

True, Blanton also could've added at least 10 wins to his win total the past two years but Zito has done in consistantly since 2000 when he first arrived. Blanton also showed last year that he got hit around BAD, he had a BA against over .300+, Zito never got hit that bad in his career.

I do think he will get severely overpaid. If middle of the road pitchers like Eaton, Padilla, and others are getting near double digets per season...Zito probably is gonna get and demand 6/7 years for 100+ million...which is what I said he'd get at the end of the last season.

I can see Zito winning 15-17 games for the next 5 years and when he reaches the postseason, that's where he usually shines.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.