Help
Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

Fremont Updates (or lack thereof)???

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: Fremont Updates (or lack thereof)???
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By nickb (12.151.32.25) on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 02:11 pm:

Is anyone else doubtful that this whole Fremont thing will ever come to fruition? Has Wolff even filed the paperwork with the city of Fremont as yet? Does anyone really know what the financing looks like? Does anyone know if the voters of Fremont will in the end have a say in this whole matter? And if so, does anyone think that the Fremont taxpayers are in favor of a whopping subsidy for infrastructure and other goodies that Wolff needs to make this village concept work? Does anyone believe that this ballpark is likely to cost way more than a half a bil. after all of the infrastructure, flood prevention, etc? Does anyone think anyone will even buy an expensive condo in the middle of nowhere's-ville right next to a noisy ballpark?

Just interested, cause I'm having doubts that Wolff will be able to pull this whole thing off.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By wbell (70.243.51.221) on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 05:57 pm:

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-athletics-optimisticowner&prov=ap&type=lgns

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By richochet (67.188.79.22) on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 08:05 pm:

Doesn't look like much has been done at all. Just a bunch of drooling and double talk by the scheister wolff.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn (71.131.33.74) on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 08:53 pm:

"We worked hard in Oakland to try and do it. Some people thought we didn't, but most of the thoughtful people agree that we did."

He must be talking about us.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil (201.36.174.140) on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 05:07 am:

yeah...we're really thoughtless people...
we know how hard he worked to make things happen in Oakland...

Wolff is the prototype carpetbagger and unfortunately there are plenty of "thoughtful" people are out there ready to help him carry his satchel for free...in fact there are plenty of fans willing to pay just to help fill up his satchel of dirty money...

May this mercenary owner rot in baseball hell along with O'malley, who will remain in the memory of many baseball fans as the mother F* carpetbagger of em all.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By finleyunplugged (205.225.207.97) on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 10:39 am:

Does it say, "Don't Ask Me, Ask Billy" on the back of Wolff's T-shirt?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn (216.38.134.2) on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 11:52 am:

As distasteful as I find the whole Barry and Barry show, I thought the shirts were pretty funny, in a nauseating kind of way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By nickb (12.151.32.25) on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 01:20 pm:

http://newballpark.blogspot.com/

Even the king of fremont spin is put off by the LACK of progress by the king scheister wolff. It's evident that NO progress has been made whatsoever and the intent of this column is nothing more than propoganda. I stand by my prediction:

THIS FREMONT BALLPARK WILL NOT BE BUILT.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By linusalf (216.31.238.114) on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 01:49 pm:

marinelayer is the king of fremont spin because thats his job. rememeber he did put this website up in conjunction with the fremont chamber of congress http://www.asbaseballtofremont.com/

however that site never got much attention, so he started slanting the allegedly "nuetral" http://newballpark.blogspot.com to support fremont. notice on how there is NO differing opinons offered by the blogger, and any poster who is against the fremont site is called an "oafc conspiracy nut" or "selfish oakland fan" or "short sighted" dont beleive marinelayer for one second that he is neutral. its a flat faced lie.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ws9 (66.81.219.192) on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 05:50 pm:

Ok Nick I'll give it a try

Doubtful it will come to fruition? Cannot predict now

Filed paper work? My sources say no

What financing looks like? Better not tell you

Will Fremont voters have a say? Very doubtful

Fremont folks in favor of whopping subsidy? My reply is no

Way more than 500 Million? ah crap I cracked my magic 8 ball.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By feelgoodinc (136.167.252.230) on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 06:02 pm:

It's too bad. If anyone in Oakland had enough money to buy something more expensive than, say, a Chalupa, maybe you could keep the A's in the little run-down dump that you philistines have the temerity to call a "vibrant city" with a straight face. Such is not the case, and greasy, smelly, beer-bellied Oaklanders will have no choice but to go waa waa waa all the way home (to their rat infested tenement building) when OUR A's come back home to FREMONT!!

If your crackpot conspiracy theories (probably a direct result of your Oakland "education") make you feel better, than so be it. The A's are coming back home to Fremont, where people know how to treat each other right. I can't wait to order the first Foie Gras served at Cisco Field and enjoy the game from the 3rd to the 7th before I leave to beat the traffic.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevink (72.130.177.236) on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 07:37 pm:

Fremont?
You're a comedian feelgood, but a lousy one.
Fremont and it's afghan gangs, yah there's a place where people "know how to treat each other right" and deserve the A's. Fremont, that "vibrant city".

Have fun with your wet dream of the "North Silicon Valley" A's! Not looking good for you "feel good"!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn (71.131.2.80) on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 10:21 pm:

Marinelayer hasn't even pretended to be neutral for a long time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil (201.36.174.140) on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 03:24 am:

linusalf, it seems to me you yourself weren't very kind when you mentioned the oafc...stating you belonged to another site to which we so nicely donated our banner...(a little judas-like performance if you ask me).

of course You may have been acting as a double agent :) as I remember, you have always been a good OAFC supporter of our cause.

marinelayer is a politician that no longer was able to hide anymore how linked he was to this fremont deal...however, he infiltrated Oakland meetings aas a neutral party and posted here as a neutral party until he couldn't hide any longer his connections to Fremont folks...
his credibility went down the drain along with the credibility of politicians such as Haggerty who was head of the Col JPA while stabbing Oakland in the back.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (75.61.90.75) on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 05:57 am:

How are the A's "coming back home" to Fremont when they've never even played in that city before?!

I'm still kinda have mixed feelings about the A's potentially moving. IF Fremont is the last resort for the A's to stay, then I'll back up the park/village plan there 100%.

Not one who would rather see the A's leave the Bay Area entirely then moving 25-30 miles down south. Sure not hell gonna change alligences either to another team.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil (201.19.235.93) on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 07:27 am:

I happen to believe that Fremont is indeed the last excuse and resort Wolff and Selig will use in order to leave the area all together.

If you buy into their half assed excuse of Fremont as the "last resort", then you are really buying into their excuse of whatever agenda they have in mind when Fremont doesn't agree with Wolff's wishes and "needs" to build his ballpark village.

For the 25 mile theorist...I sure as hell wish...if they leave Oaland that they take a 25 K ride into the Bay...along with all their new and loyal fandom.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil (201.19.235.93) on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 07:28 am:

btw...I have a name for the "25 South" or nothing...it is called EXTORTION.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By mroakland (24.4.222.249) on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 09:49 pm:

feelgood is Danguide. I recognize that Oakland hatred anywhere.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil (201.36.174.140) on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 02:40 am:

nah...I recognize DS the moment he posts but I'm not going to divulge my secret.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jerryo1 (64.221.252.50) on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 04:53 pm:

Toxic hazard creates bump in road to new A's ballpark

By Barry Witt, Mercury News 2/27/07
The scope of Oakland A's owner Lew Wolff's Fremont ballpark village continues to widen, as new records reveal his pursuit of a fourth piece of land beyond the initial 143 acres he intends to buy from Cisco Systems. But city officials say there's one property in particular he needs to address to remove a potential hazard.
Just across the street from the envisioned ballpark village site sits Scott Specialty Gases, a distributor of highly toxic materials used in semi-conductor manufacturing. Fremont officials advised Wolff last year that he'd need to either relocate the plant or find another way to mitigate the potential hazard posed by a toxic gas cloud floating over a ballpark filled with 32,000 people.
``It's easier to relocate than try to mitigate for an open-air stadium,'' said Jill Keimach, Fremont's community development director, who began talking to the A's about the Scott Gas issue last April in early talks about the potential ballpark development.
Wolff and representatives of Scott Gas declined comment.
Hazard plans on file with the city show the ``worst case scenario'' posed by a potential accident at Scott Gas would be a cloud of deadly arsine floating as far as seven-tenths of a mile from the plant. Other highly toxic gases at the plant include hydrogen chloride, ammonia and chlorine.
Scott Gas has been at its present location since 1985, in an area the city long had zoned for heavy industrial uses and long before any proposals to put retail or housing nearby.
Retailer requirements
The city required some of the new retail stores built nearby in the Pacific Commons shopping center to incorporate special devices -- red buttons -- to shut down their ventilation systems in the event of an accident at the plant. But no such protection would be available in a ballpark.
Jay Swardenski, the Fremont Fire Department's hazardous materials program manager, said if Wolff couldn't buy the Scott Gas parcel, he didn't know what alternatives were available to protect fans.
``We don't have a real plan'' from the A's, Swardenski said. ``We don't know what the layout is, what kind of setbacks might be built into it. We'll have to do an evaluation of the compatibility'' between the gas plant and the A's development proposal. Swardenski said the ``worst case scenario'' -- based on the catastrophic failure of a container holding the greatest quantity of compressed gas -- was not a ``credible'' possibility, but the city is concerned about smaller releases sending a toxic cloud a shorter distance.
Wolff buys up land
Although Wolff announced publicly in November his intentions to buy the land from Cisco, that transaction has not closed and Wolff has not submitted a development proposal to the city. In addition to the Cisco property, Wolff has said he intends to buy an adjoining 25 vacant acres from ProLogis, the real estate company that owns Pacific Commons. Last year, in two transactions, companies formed by Wolff bought an additional 28 acres in the area.
Documents recorded earlier this month in Alameda County show a Wolff-affiliated company in November took out an option to buy the 16-acre Christy Concrete plant between the Cisco property and Interstate 880.
Just how much more land Wolff and his partners intend to scoop up is unknown, although real estate agents active in the area say a broker representing Wolff has made further inquiries. Of transactions revealed to date, Wolff-related companies have either bought or are in negotiations to buy 212 acres of land. The prices have not been disclosed.
City Manager Fred Diaz said he has postponed bringing to the city council a set of negotiating principles for dealing with the A's until the Cisco land deal is done.
``They hope it's in the next few weeks,'' Diaz said after meeting with Wolff's son Keith last week.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By mroakland (24.4.222.249) on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 06:46 pm:

This is getting very interesting. This site is way too problematic for a ballpark, let alone three thousand units of housing. We have flooding concerns, possible liquefaction concerns, transportation and infrastructure concerns, and NOW, toxic hazards. This is a horrible site for a ballpark and for housing.

Wolff still hasn't closed on the CISCO property, nor has he filled a development application with the City of Fremont.

I think Wolff needs to give up on this "ballpark village" concept and build the ballpark in Downtown Oakland with perhaps some high density high-rise housing surrounding the ballpark. The area around 27th & Broadway where the current Broadway Ford dealership currently sits, would be the ideal location. The Auto Row dealerships will soon be relocating to the old Oakland Army Base. This area has a number of surface parking lots, along with garages, and auto related businesses. It wouldn't take much to clear enough space for a small ballpark along with some high density high-rise housing. The Essex Company has already started construction on the tallest residential high-rise in Oakland in the last thirty years just two blocks down the street at Webster & Grand. The building will be 22 stories, consist of 240 units, and stand 260 feet tall. Wolff could surround the ballpark with three to four similar, or taller, towers and have his housing and ballpark in a central location with a great transportation network and the required infrastructure in place.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaklandsi (67.101.215.72) on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 07:14 am:

De la Fuente is quoted on CBS as saying that the Fremont move is "not a done deal"

http://cbs5.com/local/local_story_058181746.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ws9 (66.81.219.245) on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 11:07 am:

Nobody from Oakland outside of fans (like Mr. Oakland above) has put forth a plan/site to be pushed if Fremont falls through.

Jane Brueners pronouncements that what have offered multiple sites, is not enough. If the opportunity arises a site (with financing plan) needs to be pushed hard through the media. Put the ball in Wolff's court.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ws9 (66.81.219.245) on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 11:10 am:

That's a good idea Mr. O, but someone other than you namely Dellums, DLF etc needs to get behind an idea like that and push it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By raiderjohn (65.168.177.49) on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 01:34 pm:

Wolff wants full control(revenues) of anything related to "HIS" Park/Village. Any city would have to give him full control of any related amenities, parking, high rises, retail outlets. That's the sticking point. He will essentially lay, what 400 million down to build the park, but he wants surrounding amenities to pay for the park...thus the special perks he wants if Oakland were to give him a piece of land.....which won't happen any time soon.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil (201.8.200.184) on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 01:43 pm:

another problem in trying to please wolff is that he wasn't interested in any land swap which he could use to build his whatevers... condos...Oakland had land to swap but just not at the possible park sites but he just wasn't interested.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By raiderjohn (65.168.177.49) on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 02:30 pm:

City of Miami has presented a plan, so you know when the city presents, it's close to being done. 490 million Marlins will be 207 million 45 up front the rest in rent payments. Looks like state funding is the only obstacle:

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/baseball/marlins/sfl-cmarlstad28feb28,0,3059873.story?coll=sfla-sports-marlins

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By mroakland (24.4.222.249) on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 04:52 pm:

The more I think about the Auto Row site the more sense it makes. You have the 19th Street BART station 1/2 a mile down Broadway. The 980 freeway with easy connections to 880 and 580 is only 1/4 mile west of the site via 27th street. This street is a main thoroughfare that can handle six lanes of traffic. This site has fantastic freeway access and great public transportation.

Wolff can put up his high-rise condos and charge a premium for field view units. He can still keep the CISCO naming rights or possibly get some Oakland corporations interested, like maybe Kaiser, Ask, Clorox, APL, Costplus, Dreyer's, etc. This ballpark, situated in a great urban downtown setting, would certainly get much more exposure than a ballpark in a suburban wetland area in Fremont.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn (71.131.29.225) on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 11:18 pm:

That would be so fabulous, I can't even allow myself to think about it...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sactodavey (69.227.126.36) on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 08:59 am:

you guys smocking crack, wolff has got a deal in freeemont is buying land and your still talking as if or where he could build in Oakland, ummmm. get on with life and stop your ridiculous fantasies geeeeez.

the A's are moving to Freemont issues and problems will not stop this only delay it for a short time get over it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By mroakland (24.4.222.249) on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 06:06 pm:

Sacto, this Fremont site is a horrible location for a ballpark. Also, Wolff hasn't closed on the CISCO property or submitted a plan to the City of Fremont. There are far too many serious issues to say this is a done deal. There are public transportation issues, infrastructure issues, possible flooding issues, possible liquefaction issues, and now, toxic hazards issues.

What insurance company in their right mind would insure a large structure designed to hold 32,000 people on THAT site? How about the proposed condos and town homes? What insurance company is going to insure homes in a possible flood area that is also prone to liquefaction in an earthquake? The poor homeowners will not be able to purchase earthquake or flood insurance in that wetland area. That's a big gamble for a homeowner to take.

So you see Sacto, there are huge issues here. Why shouldn't Oakland A's fans dream about the great possibilities that exist in Oakland? Why should we settle for something beneath the legacy of the Oakland A's. It's true, Wolff probably will never do what's right by Oakland A's fans. Wolff has never given the wonderful possibilities which exist in Oakland a second thought. But, we are his customers. why should we settle for something in the middle of nowhere when there are wonderful opportunities to build a great urban ballpark in Oakland?

I don't buy this "It's either Fremont or it's out of the Bay Area" thinking. This kind of thinking sells Oakland short. MLB would be stupid to give up on having an American League franchise in a huge market like Oakland. Yes, Oakland IS a huge market! Don't buy this "small market" crap that the A's, the media, and Billy Bean, try to sell you. Oakland is in the exact geographic center of the seven million residents of the Bay Area. It's perceived as a "small market" because of the failures of the Schott, and Wolff ownerships to properly exploit its possibilities and potential.

The "small market" label is also put on Oakland by the SF elitist media which believes the universe revolves around At&T park and San Francisco. Of course, Billy Beane buys into this defeatist thinking in order to enhance any successes he may have. It also takes away any pressure of failing because of the "small market" excuse. Oakland is not a "small market" at all. As a matter of fact, it's the best market of any other available market in the nation. There is no better place to go.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil (201.8.200.184) on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 05:37 am:

The way the Lords make money is not the same way big business makes money so this "small market/big market" talk makes no sense to them...

when they decide to relocate a franchise, they don't care if they let a huge market to one franchise...i.e. when they left the NY area open to the Yankees and to the Mets.
If they wanted real parity in MLB, they could easily put two more teams to divide the Yankees/Mets/BoSox domain, but they aren't interested in that kind of parity.

In order to understand why Selig's clan do things you have to look through the corrupt dirty glasses they use to make money through extortion and their creative book fixing accountants... they make money by running in the red in all their baseball operations.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By mroakland (24.4.222.249) on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 02:12 pm:

That's true, when it comes to MLB logic gets thrown out the window. The entire process of deciding who goes where is political and corrupt. If the A's leave Oakland it will be for political reasons, or because Wolff decides to cash in his chips. It won't be because Oakland is a "small market."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaklandsi (69.3.232.91) on Friday, May 11, 2007 - 09:10 am:

Field of Schemes blog has commentary on the latest moves regarding the Fremont plan

http://fieldofschemes.com/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn (38.99.44.122) on Friday, May 11, 2007 - 10:56 am:

Nice to see that someone else is keeping track of Wolff's pronouncements.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.