Help
Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

Too early to panic???

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: Too early to panic???
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By renobill (75.39.244.225) on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 11:56 am:

Probably. But I'm starting to wonder about Kots back.
I'm sure Mark did all the things in the offseason to keep himself right and yet, early in ST he's having to baby the back. Not good.

Timing being everything, the Phils apparently are still shopping Aaron Rowand and talking to the Padres. The price to get Rowand (who is a very good defensive CF) is RP which we have in spades.
With two outfielders hurting (Kotsay and Kielty, who is not a CF anyway) maybe BB should slide in front of the Pads and pull the trigger on the acquisition of Rowand. A nice bonus would be that he would instantly become the A's best leadoff hitter option.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ws9 (66.81.217.187) on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 01:32 pm:

standing pat probably means seeing a lot of Swisher in the outfield and I think most of us agree that we want him at 1st base, with his head focused on his bat. But, I don't think we can afford to let go of Blanton. If he is gone and Harden goes down does that make Kennedy our #3 and possibly put both Windsor and Komine in the rotation? Ugh!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sactofan (130.86.63.81) on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 02:05 pm:

Kennedy is a far better relief pitcher than he is a starter. Got rocked again today.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By renobill (71.94.6.30) on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 07:50 pm:

The Phillies want Relief pitching.

I would not want BB to trade Blanton or any other Starter for that matter (including Kennedy) for Rowand.

Could also probably get Reed from Seattle for one of our surplus Relievers.

Regarding Kennedy. Getting rocked in ST means very little. The Bob Welch example comes to mind. Welch got pounded all Spring one year then came out and won 20+ games during the season. I'd give Joe K some time as he is transitioning from RP to SP.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (75.61.81.199) on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 09:05 pm:

I'm worried about Kotsay too...his back will never be even close to being IMO even 85%-90% ever again. Goleski not doing well, 0-15 so far when Sunday's game finished up doesn't give me a whole bunch of confidence. Hopefully he turns it around the next few weeks after having horrible first week with the bat in ST.

I'd love to add a Rowand type talent in the OF. But I think Beane will stick what he has now with Bradley-Kotsay-Stewart in the OF with the backups potentially in Golesk-Kielty and maybe Bocachica. IF the A's are really desperate during the season, they may call up either Barton or Buck.

Welch was a proven SP though, you really didn't have to worry about him when he was an A.

Both Kennedy and Windsor so far haven't done well in ST. Which is why I'm hoping that D.Meyer does well and we can see what he has cause he is really the only legit player who could have a long term future with this team from the Hudson trade.

Both Halsey and C.Thomas...don't think they'll be here much longer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn (71.131.12.25) on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 10:37 pm:

Hell of a way to end the game today, with C. Thomas getting thrown out at the plate with what would have been the tying run in the 9th inning. At least the A's came back from 8-5 to tie the game.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.