Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

Lease Extension

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: Lease Extension
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay on Tuesday, July 09, 2002 - 01:56 pm:

The Oakland Athletics extended their lease at the Coliseum through 2007 on Tuesday.

A's will pay $500k per year the first three years of the new agreement. The deal expected to approved by city officials within the next two weeks, also contains three one year club options through 2010.

A's owner Steve Schott said the team still plans to build a baseball only stadium as soon as possible, but there is still plenty of work to do.

"This is the best way I could express my commitment to our fans," Schott said.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By gregorymark on Tuesday, July 09, 2002 - 03:27 pm:

Nice words. Let's see the next shoe drop, Mr. Schott. Call up Jerry Brown and initiate talks on the design and financing of a new ballpark.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Tuesday, July 09, 2002 - 05:00 pm:

Deajay, I was there at the press conference and I didn't hear Schott say that he "plans to build a baseball only stadium as soon as possible." All that was stated was that, with the lease extension out of the way, the city, county and the A's could begin the process of evaluating the sites, financing options, etc. I wish he had said something as positive as you wrote, but he didn't.

Both Schott and Scott Haggerty, pres. of the County Board of Supes and of the JPA, referred repeatedly to a ballpark "somewhere in the East Bay," not necessarily in Oakland.

It's still definitely a step forward and a day for A's fans to take heart.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ronc on Tuesday, July 09, 2002 - 05:06 pm:

Eyleenn, that's coming from AP

"07-09) 12:52 PDT OAKLAND, Calif. (AP) --

The Oakland Athletics extended their lease at the Coliseum through 2007 on Tuesday.

The A's will pay $500,000 per year in the first three years of the new agreement. The deal, expected to be approved by city officials within the next two weeks, also contains three one-year club options through 2010.

A's owner Steve Schott said the team still plans to build a baseball-only stadium as soon as possible, but there is still plenty of work to do.

"This is the best way I could express my commitment to our fans," Schott said. "

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/news/archive/2002/07/09/sports1531EDT0097.DTL

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Tuesday, July 09, 2002 - 05:31 pm:

Well, AP got it wrong.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bubba69 on Tuesday, July 09, 2002 - 05:39 pm:

Maybe it was said after...Not at the conference.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Tuesday, July 09, 2002 - 05:46 pm:

No Eyleen, AP did not get it wrong. I just got home from work and turned on the Ch 5 news and they showed Schott on camera saying these exact words...which sounded like music to my ears :')

"This is the best way to show the fans we're not going anywhere...we are staying right here and this is my commitment to our fans"

Mr. Schott...please accept gratitude for those words!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ronc on Tuesday, July 09, 2002 - 05:46 pm:

Yes, there were a lot of interviews with Schott from the various tv/radio stations after the conference. That was were I heard Schott say "We're going to be here, and hopefully we're going to win a World Series this year or next year."
http://espn.go.com/mlb/news/2002/0709/1403629.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn on Tuesday, July 09, 2002 - 06:09 pm:

OK, I didn't see that. I was referring to what Schott said in the main press conference, not what he said on the side afterwards.

Hell, that's even more encouraging than I thought!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By diamond_lil on Tuesday, July 09, 2002 - 06:19 pm:

Yes Eyleen, I think Schott gave separate interviews to the different tv stations after the press conference. So much the better and a very long way from his "The A's have no future in Oakland" of last year.

I was just glad that while all of that was going on at the Supes meeting, Dick Spees and Jayne Brunner where stepping up to the plate on the Forest City ENA contingency deal. Nancy Nadel, as usual was against the ballpark negotiations with the A's but she was out-voted.

Robert Gammon was actually the reporter over at the City Council so we should expect a report on that meeting tomorrow's Oakland Tribune.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dorrit on Tuesday, July 09, 2002 - 06:58 pm:

Now THAT'S good news! I also received Ramon's autographed baseball, and A's tickets from the Bay Alarm Homerun inning..nice!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jeffreyb on Tuesday, July 09, 2002 - 08:38 pm:

is the 90 or 120 day out clause still in the lease? if it is, it shows the opposite of what Schott claims. it was the main reason the lease was negotiated, i think, and will facilitate contraction.

i think the government and some fans got really snookered on this one.

why a lease, and why now? the only reason i can think of is to insert the out clause, and was done at the initiation of MLB attorneys, with Schott carrying their water for them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jeffreyb on Tuesday, July 09, 2002 - 08:42 pm:

for YEARS Schott has shown just the opposite, that he could care less about showing a staying-put commitment to the fans. do you really think he's changed???

or is he enunciating PR, with a more sinister real reason???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rono on Tuesday, July 09, 2002 - 09:39 pm:

I agree that the lease is srictly a PR move. Most media people and fans won't know about the out or won't understand or care aboutit. It makes contraction or relocation a little bit easier which may be a secondary motive or it could be the primary one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevink on Tuesday, July 09, 2002 - 09:44 pm:

Schott will go where the money is.
Of course it's PR. Good PR will get him more money in the long run. But I don't think it's necessarily a sinister reason. He sees the opportunity to move the A's is slipping away, and he seems to be doing okay here as far as making a profit every year. He probably legitamately enjoys winning and doesn't want Selig and his contraction buddies knocking at the door soon. So he formally commits to Oakland in the hopes of bringing more fans out, make more dough and hopefully get us a new stadium!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bleacherdave on Tuesday, July 09, 2002 - 09:50 pm:

YEAH, Mr. Schott!

A bumper day for A's fans... a lease extension, ENA not recommended (is that what i read?), and doritt gets the goods!

Let's go Oak-Land!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.