Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

The $8,000,000 Man Revisited, Again and Again

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: The $8,000,000 Man Revisited, Again and Again

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (76.202.78.237) on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 11:02 pm:

Don't forget about him popping up in the IF when the leadoff man got a 2B. If he had gotten his man to 3rd somehow...the next batter after him hit fly ball to the OF that would've scored that run.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sactofan (71.193.31.150) on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 07:53 am:

And the little blurb in the Sac Bee this morning referred to Beane talking about his "star."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By threepeat (12.218.153.87) on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 11:06 am:

Sacto- Can you share Mr. Wonderful's little blurb about his big mistake, yer, ya, "star"?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn (38.99.44.122) on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 11:35 am:

I searched the Bee online and couldn't find any comment by Beane about Chavez.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sactofan (130.86.63.81) on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 11:50 am:

Well I am at work and the paper is at home (and you're right - it's not online), but it was in the "A's Notes" section that's just a little box with a few blurbs. It was about Chavez's availability and said that Beane said he would be checking with his star to see about his back and his availability to play. "Star" was not in quotes - so it could have been the writer's choice of words but I read it twice to be sure and it seemed like it was paraphrasing something that Beane said. Who knows?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By threepeat (12.218.153.87) on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 08:11 pm:

The wuss is sitting out again tonight and "that's a good thing."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn (71.131.21.99) on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 10:19 pm:

Why doesn't Chavez just go on the DL already and get it over with? The only time I miss him is when I see Marco make a big E. Why doesn't Geren put Murphy at 3B and Marco at SS?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevink (72.130.178.2) on Monday, July 30, 2007 - 07:29 am:

Chavez has helped kill this season for the A's but let's not forget he had some major help. Crosby has just been a huge bust. Piazza was DL'd most of the year. Kendall completely tanked. MBradley, injured then traded. Kotsay can't pull it together.

It's been a team effort, Chavez definitely has been a huge disappointment, but I'm at the point where I've lowered my expectations of him.

At least we didn't throw even more money at Zito.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (76.221.202.156) on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 08:45 pm:

Anybody think the A's should just shut down Chavez the next two months, let him get anything messed up fixed and spend most of this offseason resting up and rehabing?

Really, as of now, I'd rather have him miss the next two meaningless months and have him as close to being healthy next season instead of watching him fight thru "nagging" injuries in late AUG and SEP and see him get more injured.

Just too bad there really isn't any major league ready even close to 3B prospect, Bailey probably is the best 3B prospect in the A's system but he isn't gonna be called up anytime soon.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By renobill (71.94.21.156) on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 11:48 pm:

I agree that Chavy should be shut down ASAP however I don't think the team has conceded the season just yet what with so many division games still to be played.

Long shot as it may be I don't think Chavy shuts down till there's little doubt.

I don't agree with that approach and I think that Eric's alleged past refusal to get repairs done may have hurt his most recent seasons, his career, and his team.
I say may because I don't know the contemplation by Chavy, A's med team, etc. but I do know that EC has not been right for a while now.

Sure a half healthy Chavez is still better than more than 75% of MLB 3rd sackers.
Is he worth the money he's paid and the tag of Franchise Player? We can debate that till doomsday (which I fully expect 3peat to do :) ).

I would just like to see what a 100% Chavez in what should be, at his age, his prime, do on the field.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (75.61.80.252) on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 10:48 am:

From Olney's blog on ESPN.

But he would be a very nice luxury item for a large-budget contender -- he bears some risk, but he's not outrageously priced, has loads of big-game experience, and is known as a good clubhouse guy. He would make a lot of sense for the Dodgers, in their never-ending quest for a third baseman; for the Yankees, if Alex Rodriguez decides, in the end, to opt out of his contract; or the Red Sox, if they want an alternative to giving Mike Lowell a three-year deal.

Oakland would want something in return; in a deal with the Dodgers, maybe the Athletics would ask for young pitcher Clay Kershaw. But as we saw with the Loaiza deal, payroll flexibility is something that general manager Billy Beane values.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (75.61.80.252) on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 10:50 am:

I can't imagine Chavez in either NYC or the BoSox. I have a feeling they'd rip into Chavez weekly especially if he plays the way he has the past two years, he'll become the new BoSox's version of Drew and the NYY's version of Pavano/Wright. All the talent in the world but some would argue just doesn't have it mentally to be a great player.

Now the Dodgers would be an interesting location for Chavez, goes back home basically to SoCal. But don't the Dodgers have Laroche who is one of the better 3B prospects in all of MLB?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By ssblip (24.21.167.106) on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 12:59 pm:

You're right, Chavez would absolutely wilt in NY -- I think if he were to play well, he'd have a hard time handling the attention; and if he flopped it would just spiral dowwwwwwn.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (76.221.203.20) on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 01:21 pm:

Yep, forgot to mention the injury history that he has in relationship with those other FA flops over the years.

I think the Dodgers and moving him to the NL would do him good. Telling me Bradley or Kendall would hitting as well as they have in the NL had they stayed in the AL...don't think so.

Hannahan, albeit in a small sample size, 53 ABs, has looked good at 3B with the bat and glove.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By raiderjohn (65.168.177.49) on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 01:54 pm:

Package Blanton and Chavez to Chavez Ravine for Laroche, Kemp and Clayton Kershaw.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (76.221.203.20) on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 02:33 pm:

Blanton/Chavez for Laroche/Kershaw and maybe one more prospect.

No way the Dodgers give away Kemp.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By raiderjohn (65.168.177.49) on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 02:52 pm:

We gave them Loaiza. Kemp is the least they can do.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (76.221.203.20) on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 03:12 pm:

The young players that are untouchable for them are Martin, Loney, Kemp...the others I don't think they'd hate to trade away...think we saw that during the deadline that those were the three names as no goes in terms of trades.

I do think a trade is on it's way in the offseason, doubt they could get something done this season.

The name being thrown a lot by A's fans all over the place if Laroche. Be interesting if that happens, what will happen to Chavez, love to trade him..hell he might be involved in the deal that lands them Laroche in the offseason. Really the A's need a 3B of the future, I doubt that's Chavez who 80% of the A's fans are done with, at least those who are online posting at boards/blogs. Hannahan, who knows, maybe he could be a solid starting 3B but IMO he looks like he could be a solid backup at least...he has some experience playing 2B too right.

The 3B prospects in the A's system, not many, Baisley is closer to 25 than he is 24 and in AA right now. I know some believe Hamblin, the A's 07 10th round pick, could maybe move to 3B down the road, who knows. He has nice potential with the bat though.

Beane needs to clean house, he's done a bit so far this season but IMO, the one player that looks untradeable is Kotsay. I don't know why they gave him a deal after 05, a 3 year deal too, yes he had a great 04 and very good 05 season but no way you could count him on the next three years and so far, it's been a disaster. If there is anyway to deal him, without having to add a player of quality whether it's a MLB or legit prospect or paying 3/4 or 4/5 of his salary for next season, Beane should jump over the chance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn (71.131.2.239) on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 08:51 pm:

Well, it's official. Not only is Chavez out for the season, the A's have announced that he's going to have SHOULDER surgery in the near future. All along it was supposedly a back problem!!! WTF???

Instead of coming off the DL on Sunday, Buck is going to have season-ending surgery to remove the bone chips in his elbow.

And Kotsay is done for the year also.

Absolutely incredible...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By threepeat (12.218.153.87) on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 08:57 pm:

With today's announcement that Chavez will be out for the rest of this season, I need to make an announcement of my own. It's obvious,now,that Chavez WILL NOT be traded before the beginning of the 2008 season. Therefore daily Chavez stats will resume in April, 2008. At that time, Chavez should be batting around .230.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay (207.200.116.200) on Saturday, September 01, 2007 - 09:31 am:

You are correct, threepeat, and it's unlikely they could get anything for him after the '08 season. Their only hope is to do a TLong/Hernandez type trade. "You want so and so, then you have to also take Chavez." Even so, they would still have to pay a portion of Chavez' salary.

Also, Kotsay is another one who likely won't be traded. I see where he cracked that by being finished for the year, that ensures that he won't be traded.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rocket (68.238.69.119) on Saturday, September 01, 2007 - 12:11 pm:

Wrong information on Chavez by the medical staff again? or is it again, and again, and again

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (75.61.90.52) on Saturday, September 01, 2007 - 03:32 pm:

So is the thread gonna be changed to...:

The $11,000,000 Man Revisited, Again and Again

...next season?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By threepeat (12.218.153.87) on Sunday, September 02, 2007 - 04:37 pm:

Take Piazza's $8,000,000 and give it to Hannahan. At least it won't be wasted.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (76.231.46.102) on Sunday, September 02, 2007 - 04:40 pm:

Yep, the more Hannahan keeps hitting well, the more I want him traded this offseason maybe to the Dodgers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By threepeat (12.218.153.87) on Sunday, September 02, 2007 - 04:58 pm:

No doubt- Piazza will be gone as a FA. Chavez is the one that needs to be jettisoned. Can you imagine Chavez returning to 3rd next season and Jack H. sitting the bench? Jac H. has had 3 walk offs in his short time up. Chavez hasn't had 3 in his last two years. Hannahan is a winner while Chavez is a loser.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jerryo1 (71.198.21.6) on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 10:35 pm:

You can own Chavy's 2003 Range Rover. This might be the only thing he has "driven in" for 2 years! :)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By jerryo1 (64.221.252.50) on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 09:27 am:

I'm sure that Eyleen would rather have John Voight's LeBaron. (Seinfeld referrence)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn (38.99.44.122) on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 09:44 am:

Ha, ha!

How's this for a laugh (completely off-topic)? A caller to ESPN radio last night suggested Ken Macha to replace Joe Torre, and he was serious!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dorrit (207.69.139.137) on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 12:09 pm:

Hey-that would be GREAT.Guaranteed loss.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By finleyunplugged (205.225.207.97) on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 05:12 pm:

Was the caller masticating?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn (38.99.44.122) on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 12:00 pm:

Juicy Fruit, I think.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By finleyunplugged (205.225.207.97) on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 12:22 pm:

Musta been Kenny.

...either that or this blogger, who apparently has not had anything to do over the course of the last year:

http://www.firemacha.blogspot.com/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn (71.131.28.138) on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 04:42 pm:

Chavez had his surgery:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2007/10/11/SPACSNVQB.DTL

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Ann-nm,Ann-nm (201.134.177.1) on Friday, December 28, 2007 - 06:53 pm:

Authentication Error

Your username/password combination was invalid, or you do not have permission to post to this topic. You may revise your username and password using the form at the bottom of this page.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By Ann-dt,Ann-dt (201.134.177.1) on Saturday, December 29, 2007 - 12:53 am:

Authentication Error

Your username/password combination was invalid, or you do not have permission to post to this topic. You may revise your username and password using the form at the bottom of this page.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.