Game Chat
Fund Raiser:
Order Merchandise!

Suggested Reading:
(click cover for info)

cover

A's v. Gnats

OAFC BBS - All Topics: Archive: A's v. Gnats
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn (71.131.18.37) on Friday, May 18, 2007 - 04:48 pm:

These are the games I look forward to and dread at the same time. As it happens, I have to be out of town this weekend and will miss the whole series. I'm disappointed, but also a little relieved. I always feel a little nauseous during these games.

Here's hoping the A's keep the gnats fans quiet the whole weekend.

GO A'S!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (76.202.79.29) on Friday, May 18, 2007 - 10:21 pm:

15-3 A's. :)

Damn, this feels so damn great tonight.

Boy, guess whos pitching tomorrow...Haren...you can bet that he's thinking to himself..."keep some of those runs for me tomorrow".

Gonna be a tough go around for the A's offense SAT too going against Cain, man, Haren can't catch a break.

Hopefully the A's bats continue to remain hot from tonight this weekend.

Go A's!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By scottfrom0z (58.175.211.106) on Saturday, May 19, 2007 - 04:12 am:

That was the most satisfying regular season win in recent memory. Was Barry Zito boo'ed?? I have not been able to get any highlights down here in Australia.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By kevink (72.130.177.236) on Saturday, May 19, 2007 - 09:59 am:

I read in the paper that Zito got a mixture of boos and cheers in warmups.

I'm curious as to how many of those fans were gints fans?

I don't think I would have booed him. I might cheer in warmups or go switzerland. He's with THEM now.

Interesting that Zito seems to choke in big games quite often. This wasn't a big game in terms of the season, but it was his return to his old team, and I'm sure he put a lot of pressure on himself.

I like the guy but I'm glad the giants way overpaid for him.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn (69.226.59.93) on Saturday, May 19, 2007 - 10:24 am:

I'd like to hear more about the crowd's reaction from anyone who was there.

I just read various accounts of the game online and I was actually able to listen to some of the game on XM while flying on Jet Blue to SoCal. The last score I heard was 10-3.

We've seen Zito have those nights when he can't find the strike zone, and I'm thinking the whole game must have seemed completely surreal to him. But, damn, I'm glad we beat him!!!

Now let's hope the A's don't have their usual post-blowout scoring letdown. Get the win for Danny, guys!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By pachyderm (207.177.237.4) on Saturday, May 19, 2007 - 11:11 am:

April 28 against Tampa Bay was last time, the A'S offensive showed up on Saturday. Plus, it is interesting Oakland wins a blowout game on TV. Cain and Morris are going tough since they know how to attack the strike zone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (76.202.78.166) on Saturday, May 19, 2007 - 05:03 pm:

Urban on KNBR said that what Buck did last night scoring on a single from 2B already up by 12 runs wasn't right and he'd hoped Buck would get nailed today?

What little whiners! IF you had a problem with your weak ass pitching giving up 15 runs, then bitch about them, not about a rookie ballplayer doing what 99% of all ML players would do in that situation.

More now than ever, I want the A's to kick ass this weekend.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (76.202.78.166) on Saturday, May 19, 2007 - 08:40 pm:

7th-bases loaded, one out...can't score.

8th-bases loaded, no outs...score one and they were lucky that Kendall BB'ed too.

Unbelieveable.

A's up 4-2, come on pen!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay (207.200.116.200) on Saturday, May 19, 2007 - 09:43 pm:

oaktown fan, first of all Mychael Urban is an imposter when it comes to writing. He stinks. Secondly, I wish they'd remove him entirely from the A's mlb site. And thirdly, the idiot ought to pay a little more attention before opening his mouth.

Rene Lachman sent Buck. He's a rookie for crying out loud, so he is going to go unless he falls down ... which he almost did because he started to stop as he rounded the bag and saw Lache waving him around. Also, Lachman said he wasn't trying to show anybody up, as it was easily a ball he should have scored on and there was no thought about doing anything else. Also, I'm sure Scoot appreciates the rbi, which he should have had in the first place. The ball was hit slowly through the infield, so, you gonna tell the guy to stay at third because we don't want to give the impression we're trying to pile on? In that case, ridiculous.

Mychael Urban's act is getting really tiresome. First he goes off on Bradley with his pathetic article in the Examiner, last year, which was totally uncalled for, then he opens his mouth talking about something he never even looked into. The guy is a pathetic writer; so bad, that his on his Aces book, I couldn't get past the first several pages .... boring and poorly written.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (75.61.82.139) on Saturday, May 19, 2007 - 11:49 pm:

True, what he said was stupid and then he went out to say there's some unwritten rule that if you're up by as much as the A's were up Friday, that they're "supposed" to play station to station baseball using a example he was "taught" to while he played ball in school.

Please...the two "sports writers" he had today..one before and after the game couldn't disagree more with Urban but of course you had a few idiot SF fans agreeing with him.

Lach was waving around Buck? I was watching the KICU feed Friday and Kiper and Fosse thought Buck saw Lach give him the stop sign but Buck who already had momentum was going foward and that's why he stumbled because he was surprised Lach wanted to hold him up.

Anyways, A's win 4-2 and win this series...that's all that counts. Getting a sweep tomorrow with Kennedy pitching, whos pitched very well the past few starts, would be so damn sweet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (76.202.76.95) on Sunday, May 20, 2007 - 04:18 pm:

A's take two out of three this weekend set, I'd take that.

A's still lead the overall interleague series by 2 I think.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By bubba69 (207.15.10.10) on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 12:36 pm:

I cannot understand all the whining coming from the SF fans..."Poor Barry and poor Barry that...The A's fans are booing our Barrys!" What the hell do the expect....when a A's fan in our section on saturday starting chating BALCO this moron SF fan starting almost crying..."Leave Barry alone"...he was whining.....FUCK YOUR BARRYs....Both of them!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dorrit (207.69.139.140) on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 01:30 pm:

No thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (75.61.87.19) on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 01:30 pm:

True, most of the die hard A's fans especially ones that post on MBs hate Bonds but the fact that the majority of A's fans at the net last year when he tied Ruth gave him a standing ovation...still makes me sick to this day.

Listening to the KNBR broadcast they replay of that moment during commercials on that station over the year where the announcer actually mentioned the standing ovation...pisses me off.

I even heard Lurie when he was on the postgame show this past weekend on KNBR said basically that A's fans don't hate Bonds bringing up what happened that moment last season.

Dark day in Oakland A's fan history IMO.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By dorrit (207.69.139.140) on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 01:41 pm:

That made me sick to my stomach,as well. Alot of those A's "fans" were probably people who decided to take in a game to be "entertained".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay (207.200.116.200) on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 09:45 pm:

oaktown, don't know what Fosse said on Friday night, about Lache putting up the stop sign but that is not what he said Saturday.

In the 2nd inning of Sat's game (which I have on tape, so went back over it to recheck) he said that he talked to Lachemann about that play. Lache told him when the ball was hit that Buck with his speed should have easily scored, but Buck was not running hard to 3rd and momentarily stopped, so Lache, down the line, waved him to continue. He did not put the stop sign up. He said he went to the Giants after and told them he was not trying to embarrass anyone, that very simply the way the ball was hit, Buck should have easily scored. It sounds and looked like, Buck was satisfied to stop at 3rd. Probably in hindsight, (my guess, anyway) Lache would not have given him the go sign after Buck had slowed.

So, as I said, dippy Urban should have done his homework ... which he often seems not to do ... rookies follow coach's signs, otherwise it appears Buck was going take and stay at third. I hear the Giants dippy announcers made a deal of it on their broadcast, so probably dippy Urban was following suit. Two major dips: Krukow and Urban; they belong together.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (75.61.82.249) on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 10:28 pm:

Well the explanations are a bit mixed but the conclusion most agree upon by A's fans is that Urban was a whinny little ass SAT by complaing about that situation and then went off saying Buck should've gotten hit for like I said, 99% of players would've done in that same situation.

Blame your pathetic pitching staff that night and not Buck.

If Urban hadn't lost credibility from A's fans, that statement he made about Buck SAT clinched it for me personally who was a bit on the fence.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (75.61.82.249) on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 10:28 pm:

Well the explanations are a bit mixed but the conclusion most agree upon by A's fans is that Urban was a whinny little ass SAT by complaing about that situation and then went off saying Buck should've gotten hit for like I said, 99% of players would've done in that same situation.

Blame your pathetic pitching staff that night and not Buck.

If Urban hadn't lost credibility from A's fans, that statement he made about Buck SAT clinched it for me personally who was a bit on the fence.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rayfossefan (65.206.227.27) on Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 01:28 pm:

listened to a bit of the giants post game last night and i could not believe how moronic the analysis and projections were. totally unprofessional. you gotta feel bad for jon miller working with duane kuiper (idiot) and mike krukow (even bigger idiot). man they have such unrealistic expectations over there it's not even funny. we are so lucky to have guys like korach and fosse, and vince. and we definitely got the better kuiper brother!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (75.61.88.54) on Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 03:32 pm:

Gotta love how SF fawns over their young players now thinking so and so are the best young players at their position after developing crap for the past 10-15 years.

We A's fans have seen development of pitchers AND position players over the past decade really.

God forbid they actually develop a Swisher or Tejada type talent in the near future as the A's have routinely done over the past 10 years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By sactofan (130.86.63.81) on Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 04:02 pm:

People might be interested in my exchange with the Sacramento Bee Sports page editor over their headline after the A's 15-4 blow out last Friday - his response on top - read down for my original note to him:

Thanks for writing.

Yes, the headline was a bad one. We cover both teams regularly -- if you don't believe that then check out Paul Gutierrez's story on Sunday where he toured the Negro League Hall of Fame with the A's Milton Bradley. We have no bias toward one, despite the fact that all of our readership research says there is more interest in the Giants in this market by a 60-40 margin.

We have discussed the issue with our headline writers.

Thanks for reading,
Bill Bradley
Sports Editor

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Saturday, May 19, 2007 2:14 PM
To: Bradley, Bill - Sacramento
Subject: Saturday lead article on Giants-A's game

Dear Bill:

I have long since accepted the economic realities that lead the Bee to report in person on Giants games while reprinting Contra Costa Times or AP articles on A’s games. But today’s headline was beyond excuse: “A Long Painful Night in Oakland.” Did it ever occur to the Bee that there are maybe a few Oakland A’s fans in Sacramento for whom Friday night’s game was neither “long” nor “painful”??

I hope you will print this letter in Fanfare. I could not find a way to submit it directly for fanfare.

Thank you

A’s (not Giants) fan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn (38.99.44.122) on Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 04:30 pm:

Yeah, right.

I was in Orange County this weekend, and believe it or not, I was able to pick up KNBR after the Friday night game -- just in time to hear gnats fans rip Zito.

Of course, the A's will NEVER have a 50,000 watt blow torch like KNBR. Sad.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By renobill (75.39.244.225) on Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 04:40 pm:

NICE JOB SACTOFAN !!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By renobill (75.39.244.225) on Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 04:42 pm:

BTW I'm pretty sure sportswriters/editors do their own headlines.

Wonder if he had a conversation with the guy in the mirror.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (75.61.88.54) on Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 04:44 pm:

Didn't Wolff want to work out a partnership with Comcast to create their own sports tv network, maybe with help with other bay area teams that don't have all their games televised like the Sharks or W's? Why can't they work a deal with KRON or the CW network, hell even the old WB network.

The A's may not have a 50K watt sports station ever even with all the money Wolff/Fisher and the South Bay can generate but I wouldn't totally rule out something close to a 24/7 sports radio alternative to KNBR.

Really, I've always wondered why the teams not associated with KNBR in the A's, Raiders, and Sharks, maybe even the W's to a point couldn't get a sports radio station started that isn't all about hyping up the SF teams.

The W's are on KNBR but it took until game 3 of the semis to get their own postgame call in show. After game 1 against DAL in the opening round on a Sunday night, they didn't even have a postgame show to call into when it's was the first playoff game in bay area basketball in 12+ years...yet they have the time and the man power to have a postgame call in show for almost ever midget ST game in March. A's, Raiders, W's, and Sharks fans need an alternative here in the Bay Area and surprised if within the next decade, something close to an alternative isn't here by then.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By rocket (67.156.226.219) on Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 04:54 pm:

Prop's to Sactofan for taking the time to make
a point to the Sac Bee.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn (71.131.45.112) on Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 07:48 pm:

I don't know what effect this will have but I heard (on KNBR) that Fox Sports Net has sold its programming (including the A's, gnats, etc.) to Comcast.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By eyleenn (71.131.45.112) on Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 08:06 pm:

Here's a little tidbit from MediaNews:

-FSN Bay Area has been sold to the Comcast Corporation, but it has yet to be determined what changes are in store. Comcast already dabbles in the regional sports area with Comcast Sports Net West, which holds rights to the Sacramento Kings and broadcasts an array of college sports. Comcast will have cornered the market in Northern California sports when the transaction is complete.

http://www.insidebayarea.com/turn2/ci_5899493

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (76.221.202.68) on Sunday, June 10, 2007 - 03:36 pm:

SWEEP!

A's take 5 out of 6 from the midgets this season. Think it's the first time any team has swept the other in a series.

Well not since 1989. :)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By pct (66.47.74.102) on Sunday, June 10, 2007 - 09:21 pm:

I think the A's swept the giants a couple of years ago as well. All I remember from that one is that the last game of the sweep, the A's piled on a boat load of runs.

I think the giants have also swept the A's in one series maybe 4 ago - I think that same year the A's went to the playoffs and the giants didn't... :)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By deajay (207.200.116.200) on Monday, June 11, 2007 - 07:36 am:

A's swept them in '05 at Oakland. That included the 16 run game with Harden pitching. Think that was also the game where Swisher got decked late in the game, got up and hit it out of the park. I think it was a 3 run HR, but won't swear to it.

I don't think the Giants have ever swept the A's, but won't swear to that, either.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message   By oaktownfan (75.61.86.3) on Monday, June 11, 2007 - 08:54 am:

Yeah, I remember that game but didn't think it was part of a sweep.

Swisher moment, that's true, the A's were pounding SF and he got buzzed and knocked to the ground...next pitch, he hit a HR to LF.

Sweet moment, remember it too because it was one of Krueger's last great rants about how bush-league it was to throw at Swisher because your pitching stunk.

Sort of how Urban called out Buck a few weeks back when in that blowout on Friday night, Buck scored on a single to LF from second when the A's were up huge.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Questions? Comments? Corrections? Please contact info@oaklandfans.com.